1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] WEEK 1: TEXANS@INFLATE-RIOTS

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Sep 4, 2018.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I read it as him saying "blame should be spread around to everyone." Posters keep submitting posts like "Bob is an idiot, always running Miller up the middle" and it has caught on like wildfire to the entire thread. Its annoying.

I still say he needs to be fired though.

Nimo likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know what people you're referring to that specifically blamed O'Brien for keeping Irvin. Irvin did okay. Let's not act like he broke one for a touchdown and let's not assume that other players on the team couldn't have done the same or better. My (and i'm speaking only for me) reason for not liking the decision to keep him was that he really isn't needed to do anything else on the team except special teams and he's no major game breaker. He never really has been. He ran one or two per year in college for scores. And he was given plenty of chances and didn't impress. I didn't call out the coach for keeping him and didn't mention or read people complaining past a couple of days after the roster was reduced.

The hate is way worse for BOB is your opinion. When O'Brien does something bad and deserves criticism, he deserves it. If the team underperforms, he gets criticism. He is the head coach. That's what they pay him for.

No one person loses games but the head coach is usually the easiest target because he affects all aspects of the game. Kevin Johnson and Deshaun Watson had bad games but they only impact one aspect of the game. The coach made some major mistakes and he's being criticized for it because he is the head coach and the offensive coordinator. When he had Godsey, we blamed Godsey. Now he doesn't have anyone else to take the heat from him when the offense stutters. And since he is also the head coach he'll get some of the blame for the defense too; like not calling timeout on that Gronk catch.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe I missed a bunch of threads. I must be getting good at avoiding the idiotic posters. I see Deshaun getting a whole lot of criticism too. And Kevin Johnson has become everyone's favorite dump boy.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never said that. I agreed with a post that put the blame on lots of people. For some weird reason that just pissed you off. Not sure what irked you about that, but you need to calm down and quit calling me a liar. Don't ever expect everyone to agree with you, because that never happens in life. Respect the opinion of others, and if you disagree then fine, but do it in a more respectful way. That's what this forum is about. Maybe you should just go meditate or do what ever it takes to relieve your bitterness and anger, and you will feel better.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They did finally run the ball up the middle well... probably Lamar Miller's best pure rushing game as a Texan.

Also, this was partly by design as the Patriots were willing to give up the run to try and avoid Watson's potential excellence.

There was certainly some next-level game planning against the Texans... something Belichick has had to go into deep reserves for to beat the likes of Kelly's Bills, Montana's Niners, Warner's Rams, all those Peyton Colts teams.

The amount of moving parts/chess pieces on the board yesterday was impressive... for it simply being a first game of the season.

BigShasta, Rudyc281 and Nimo like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BOB is clearly a bad influence when it comes to stuff like that, he whines like a b**** when he's called out too. When young players see coaches do that kind of thing, they start doing it too. If BOB did literally anything well then it would be worth overlooking, but since he's terrible at everything, it's not something you want to put up with.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with that is that BOB really IS an idiot though. There is blame to spread around, but the bulk of the blame is on BOB. He had a piss poor game plan and he chose to not get his players ready to start the season. All other criticisms, other than criticisms at Kevin Johnson who is simply worthless, are with the understanding that they weren't their best due to the coach not getting them prepared for the season.

It might be annoying to see BOB get called out that often, but those complaints are 100% valid. Right now he's the team's biggest problem.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont disagree that BOB is an idiot, should be fired, didnt have his players ready and that he had a piss poor gameplan, but he did have some correct calls and everybody was quick to jump the narrative of him being wrong. A lot of those Miller up the middle calls actually seem like zone traps that let him pick which gap to run through.

What I didnt like about his calls was the rb draw on 2nd and 20, that was the dumbest play call Ive ever seen. Its like hes trying to outsmart everybody when all he needs to do is keep it simple. He did finally do that on the td drive with a bunch of run calls but no one seems to give him credit. Also, Watson deserves a lot of blame for supposedly being 10x smarter than last year, it sure as hell didnt seem like it. There was a qb draw call in the red zone but the personnel lined up across didnt even give that play a chance with a 6 man defensive front vs our 5 man line. He needs to recognize that and audible out It was just a terrible game all around.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Doesn’t matter BRIAN! Not my job BRAIN!

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even worse, on that QB draw call you had Nuk in one on one coverage.

For sure there is blame to go around, Watson looked awful, but I feel like part of the reason Watson looked awful was because he wasn't prepared to play the game....which is on BOB. You are correct that not everything BOB did was a bad idea, but even when he was right it failed a lot of the time due to other things he screwed up.

Personally I hope he learns from this because I still view him as the weakest link on the team now that Kevin Johnson knocked himself unconscious again.

Fullcourt likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Two more runs by Watson and the Texans would have won. Can't be afraid of getting hurt. He could have gotten hurt standing in the pocket too long.

13. HstnSprtsFan101

Gruden featuring Jared Cook.. looking forward to seeing more of Jordan Thomas

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

LZierlein broke down the all-22 this morning on DW4.
    He said that the Pats were disguising their coverages by changing them very late. This seemed to confuse Watson. Receivers WERE open. Watson just did not see them and couldn’t figure out the coverage quick enough.

No Worries likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was always a knock on Watson, but I think if he was prepared properly and the Texans had a decent game plan he'd have done fine.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be upset if I’m the Texans for letting this out. But Texans probably think it’s not their job

BigShasta likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Pats getting Josh Gordon... Reportedly a 5th rounder... God I hate the Pats, gonna turn him into Randy Moss somehow.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

But will he stay sober?