1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. raining threes

A waste of resources until the OL gets fixed.

body slam likes this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not necessarily.

A so-so offensive line can be propped up by an All-Pro NFL feature back. Dallas' offensive line was trash this past year and Zeke still got his. Yes there were a few games where they keyed in on him and stacked the box but for the most part he was his effective self.

The Charges are another squad I can think of off the top of my head that have a terrible offensive line, quite possibly worse than the Cowboys and Texans, but still make things work due to having a top flight RB that adds versatility to the offense due to his pass catching ability.

Plus with Bell's running style... he can make holes out of the worst possible lines (this includes ours for the time being). I don't expect this o-line to stay as bad as they currently are... but then again we said the same after last season, so I'm hoping for the best after this upcoming draft and free agency concludes.

#582 FLASH21, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    RHU525, raining threes and awc713 like this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Plus signing Bell as a FA doesnt keep them from drafting 2 OL in the first two rounds.

awc713, mikol13 and red5rocket like this.
  4. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Signing Bell is a longshot at best. Far more likely he will be a Colt or Raven than a Texan. People here dont understand just how much the team loves Lamar Miller. He is the feature back. Best case scenario they draft a guy in 2nd or 3rd.

raining threes likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lions released FS Glover Quin.
    The Lions also parted ways with WR Bruce Ellington and LB Nicholas Grigsby. Cutting Quin was a cost-saving move for Detroit as his release will free up $6.25 million in cap space while leaving behind $1.7 million in dead money. The 33-year-old had been a mainstay in Detroit's secondary, even earning All-Pro recognition during his breakout 2014 campaign. He led the league with a career-high seven interceptions that year. Despite his age and declining productivity—he earned PFF's No. 42 safety grade out of 89 qualifiers last year—the veteran DB shouldn't take long to resurface.

Nook likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

They liked Lamar but still drafted Foreman in the 3rd round. Colts really like Mack and Hynes. Everybody needs two quality backs these days. If they feel Foreman can't be the guy, Bell takes his place for the next couple years.

But then again, there's this

red5rocket likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

Interesting segment on 610 this AM with Seth Payne. They brought on a Steelers reporter and asked if HOU should go after either Bell or Antonio Brown.

PIT reporter was quick to advocate signing Bell and not touching Brown with a 10-ft pole. Said Brown was a lockerroom nightmare. Cited Brown leaving the team when JuJu won team MVP, that that's when things started to get really bad. Overall he pretty just opined that Brown in HOU would be a nightmare situation, especially with Hopkins being the main guy.

He said HOU makes a lot of sense for Bell, citing need to keep up with scoring with IND. Cited Lamar Miller being overall "meh" and that you can still pencil in 1800 all purpose yards for Bell even if his lockerroom presence is a bit in question. Also said Bell is the 3rd best receiving RB in the league, which would mesh well with our OL and with Watson.

Personally, I'd love to see us ink Bell. I think this guy is right on. We need an additional umph to keep pace with IND. We can't rely on Fuller to be healthy and our RB talent is average across the board. Also, Bell would undoubtedly help hide the weaknesses of the OL as our hopeful draft picks continue to develop. We absolutely need to get a player like Bell while Watson is still on his rookie deal, especially with the available cap space no less.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans are not giving up anything for Bell. The Steelers are trying to get trade compensation. They are definitely trying to screw Bell for screwing them.

red5rocket and raining threes like this.
  10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Drafting Foreman while we had Miller and Blue on the roster told me a couple of things.
    First and foremost, their intent is to pound the rock to take pressure off of Watson - at least until they can straighten their oline situation out.
    They may have wanted to move on from Miller if Foreman turned out to be good.
    They may also have wanted an upgrade from Blue.
    This tells me that if Foreman's recovery is not looking good, they will once again delve into the draft for a decent RB. Or, go for a quality back in FA. It all depends on Foreman's recovery imo.
    I would be very happy to see Bell in a Texans uni.
    Bell, Miller and Foreman would make a good trio next season opening up the running game, protecting Watson and allowing you to assess who to keep for 2020.

#590 Wattafan, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I wonder what the basis was for their results? Also AFC South apparently holding it down.

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

It is quite odd. Last 12 seasons the texans are 97-95 and they have played in 8 playoff games in the past 8 seasons (yes I'm cherry-picking seasons to make my point.) But I'm pretty sure that's a better run than most teams in the league.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

WalletHub apparently

26th overall rank
    30th Pro Football rank
    29th College Football Rank
    33.14 Total Score
    27th in 'Least accessible NFL stadiums'
    27th in 'Least engaged NFL fans'

Methodology

In order to determine the best and worst cities for football fans, WalletHub compared 244 U.S. cities based on 21 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for football fans.

For our sample, we chose cities with at least one professional football team (NFL) or at least one college football team (NCAA, including FBS and FCS). We then grouped the cities by division — “Pro Football” and “College Football” — and assigned weights to each divisional category based on its popularity among fans.

Finally, we determined each city’s weighted average across all metrics to calculate its overall score and used the resulting scores to rank-order our sample. For our “Ranking by City Size,” we categorized each city according to the following population-size guidelines:

Large cities: More than 300,000 people
    Midsize cities: 100,000 to 300,000 people
    Small cities: Fewer than 100,000 people

Pro Football – Total Points = 75

-Number of NFL Teams: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)

-Performance Level of NFL Team: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)
    Note: This metric was calculated using the past three seasons’ averages and the following formula: Number of Wins / Total Number of Games Played.

-Number of NFL Championships Wins: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)

-Number of NFL Division Championship Wins: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)

-Number of Hall-of-Fame Head Coaches: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)

-Franchise Value: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
    Note: This metric measures the team(s) estimated value in millions of dollars.

-Average Ticket Price for an NFL Game: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)

-NFL Fan Engagement: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)
    Note: This metric measures the number of Twitter followers and Facebook “Likes” (on each team’s official accounts) per capita.

-Number of Coaches in Past 10 Seasons: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
    Note: “Past 10 Seasons” include seasons 2009-2010 to 2018-2019.

-NFL Stadium Capacity: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
    Note: This metric was calculated using the following formula: Stadium Capacity / Total City Population.

-Attendance: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
    Note: This metric was calculated using the following formula: Average Home-Fan Attendance / Stadium Capacity.

-Popularity Index: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)

College Football – Total Points = 25

-Number of College Football (FBS & FCS) Teams: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)

-Performance Level of College Football (FBS & FCS) Team(s): Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
    Note: This metric was calculated using the past three seasons’ averages and the following formula: Number of Wins / Total Number of Games Played.

-Number of College Football (FBS & FCS) Championship Wins: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)

-Number of College Football (FBS & FCS) Conference Championship Wins: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)

-Number of Hall-of-Fame Head Coaches: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)

-Minimum Season-Ticket Price for College Football (FBS & FCS) Game: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)

-College Football Fan Engagement: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
    Note: This metric measures the number of Twitter followers and Facebook “Likes” (on each team’s official accounts) per capita.

-Number of Coaches in Past 10 Seasons: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)
    Note: “Past 10 Seasons” include seasons 2009–2010 to 2018–2019.

-College Football (FBS & FCS) Stadium Capacity: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)
    Note: This metric was calculated using the following formula: Stadium Capacity / Total City Population.

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe someone got paid to come up with all this useless information. What a waste of time and energy. Just think if all that wasted time had been spent doing something to help those in need.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How can any city be worst than Cleveland and Detroit when it comes to being a nfl fan

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I wonder if how much Houston cares about the NFL factors in. I don't have any problem with having Houston in the top 3 or so on that list. That sounds about right to me. No way I'd put Nashville or Jacksonville on it, however...they haven't had teams long enough to compare to the other cities that have had pro football for so long with so little to show for it in terms of championships (or even playing for championships, ever).

Nook likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

How many times have the Texans been serious Super Bowl threats?

How many times have the Texans won more than one playoff game in a season?

Texan fans really have not had it better than "most".

The Texans have been a big ball of mediocrity.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

All this talk about Bell making offensive lines better.

He's only ever play with a top 5 line his whole career.

He sits out this year, and I'd expect the line would have been worse. Instead, they were the best line in football.

Man, Pittsburgh is good at finding backs that make their line good.

conquistador#11 likes this.