1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did they though? After their Week 12 bye, KC defense gave up 400+ total yards in 4 of the last 7 games. Texans gave up 4 the entire season and some were still calling for Romeo's head. Not saying our defense was great because they weren't that good down the stretch. Just saying the overall difference in talent on the rosters isn't enough to warrant one being odds on favorites to win it all while BoB gets to go into year 2 of a supposed rebuild.

BTW I love the QB coach hire. I don't expect to see much change in the offense scheme but if he can get Watson to make split decisions just a bit quicker, think we'll be much improved. So much will come down to adding talent and Devlin doing his job on the OL.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Did you read your response before posting it? It keeps crashing into itself. He was one of 32 NFL TE coaches and your claim is that NO ONE had heard of him?... No one? Not a single person - even guys that cover the NFL?... Also, no offensive background... other than, you know, a year as the Texans' TE coach. *That's* an offensive background.

You had never heard of him. Cool. But your vast, endless knowledge of NFL assistants is not a prerequisite for greatness.

csj likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yes! No one knew who he was. Every sports show (tv and radio) had guys saying they didn't know who he was besides the fact he was with BOB at Penn State. And of course I meant besides being the TE coach last season smh

4. Hey Now!

Nor can you predict he'll be unexceptional, which you did earlier.

His voice has never been offensive coordinator.

Let me stop you there... your view is not "limited" - you have no view. None of us do. We don't know what Tim Kelly did to garner the promotion.

What did we want? We wanted younger, more progressive? And an outside voice, right? We got both. Can we at least wait and see how it plays out before using a "limited" view to just keep ******** out the same takes as six months ago?...

houstonstime and csj like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Ah, OK - your story is changing: so TV and radio personalities had never heard of him?... Shocking. They're usually so deeply knowledgeable...

He's been the TE coach *two* seasons and was offensive quality control coach three seasons prior to that. You mean other than *those* five years, he NO offensive experience?..........

Just admit it: YOU had never heard of him. Stop trying so hard to find others...

csj likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to stick to Houston...None of the shows on 97.5 said they knew who he was.

If you want to get stuck in BOB mind games go ahead.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Some posters are really ****ing annoying.

8. Hey Now!

This has devolved from "NO ONE has heard of him" to guys on a very specific local radio station had never heard of him...........

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Want me to get more specific?

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL
    Exceptional was in quotes for a reason. My semi-serious point was that O'Brien was picking someone he felt won't be exceptional and be plucked by another team.

True. But it is still not a new voice. Old voice, new words. Maybe?

Actually, not to argue semantics, but my view is limited. I know his resume. I've seen the results of his work. It's not much but it's all we got.

Maybe we should have specified what we meant by outside :)
    I wanted Mike Munchak but I knew it probably wasn't going to happen. As I said before, this doesn't move the needle for me. I'm not excited about it nor am I depressed about it. I'm not sure what "same takes as six months ago " you're referring to here but I've said I'm excited about Carl Smith!

#490 Nimo, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    raining threes likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

No. I don’t really care & my point has been made. If someone - covering the Texans - didn’t know their TE coach these past two seasons, that’s on the someone & in no way an indictment of the hire.

raining threes likes this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

His point is that if this guy has done something notable in the NFL, people would have heard of him. When you hire some "unknown" like this guy, you are trusting BoB's evaluation skills, which we know have been suspect at best. It would at least give others confidence that this is a good hire if other people besides Bob can vouch for it.

red5rocket and coachbadlee like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Seems kinda crazy considering how bad the ol is and they don't have a replacement yet

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Maybe there's already something in the works.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25944721/bold-2019-nfl-offseason-predictions-all-32-teams

Le'Veon Bell calls Houston home in 2019.

The Texans have a Pro Bowl quarterback and receiver in Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins and a defense that's led by J.J. Watt. Bell, who didn't play a down for Pittsburgh in 2018, will elevate Houston's offense and allow Watt and the defense more time on the sideline while pushing the Colts for the top spot in the AFC South. -- Mike Wells

18. Hey Now!

What people? Radio hosts? Do you think "people" knew who Sean McVay was when Washington made him their offensive coordinator? He was a tight ends coach, too, who had previously coached in the UFL, ferchrissakes.

"People" knowing who a coach is means absolutely nothing in terms of that coach's ability. It's just fan masturbation.

Why is this important? Who needs that validation? Again, this is all being filtered through what a fan wants. Do you think the players are walking around NRG, asking, "Tim who?"...

Fans have this obnoxious tendency to think what they want and feel has merit - they do not. I have no clue if Tim Kelly will be a good hire; but I do know some rando on CF.net having heard/not heard of him has no bearing on that eventual outcome.

csj likes this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Texans are not going to sign Le'Veon Bell. As much as I hope I'm wrong, I just can't imagine any scenario where that happens.

20. Hey Now!

Maybe not - but there's an interesting X factor at play.... TJ Watt. He knows what's going on in Pittsburgh and if the concern with Bell is culture - and it SHOULD BE - Watt will be able to provide unprecedented insight.

If it all checks out, then it's a question of whether a RB is worth the money Bell would likely want...