1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

"O.K., DW, here is the play, call the signals, receive the snap, and run for your life."

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Some of those are not like the others but ONE of those isnt anything like the others.

Uprising likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Blake Bortles faints

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

There is absolutely zero "vibe" in anticipation of the Texan's season. I don't know if I have ever felt such disinterest among fans. Nobody is talking about them. It is like nobody expects anything but mediocrity which is understandable.

MadMax and tmoney1101 like this.
  6. Mattician

Mattician Member

I can't remember the last time I didn't feel this way. There was always a couple of teams the Texans just couldn't beat when it mattered in the playoffs. And now other teams have gotten better while the Texans are satisfied with one and done, first round exits.

I was excited when the Texans drafted Watson, and he's played pretty dang good.

But the team just isn't ran very well and it starts at the top. Wish the owners and other front office members cared more about making a deep playoff run. Rather than building a good enough team to keep filling seats.

#3246 Mattician, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  7. Texanstradamus

The way Houston sports works is when there is zero expectation is when they surprise ppl I’m still ready for the season see how Watson improves and If one of the tackles can grab a starting spot. This is O’Brien last chance to impress I figure that’s why he don’t have a GM I feel they will have the New GM hire his own coach If he bombs out

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Zero vibe because we had a lot of cap space and did nothing with it. I mean ffs how hard is it to find an average lineman that can block. We then had a draft where we got projects that might be good in 2-3 years. On top of all of this, we fired our GM and did not replace him. We might be the worst run franchise in the NFL currently. THAT is why there is zero vibe.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cal McNair on 610, Texans' flagship radio station on football operation changes: 'It's a flatter operation. The organization is totally energized. It's a lot of improvements.'

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) July 22, 2019

Cal McNair on Chris Olsen: 'Chris has been great for us for many years. His activities won't change that much. He'll have a little more leadership in the football admin.'

Cal McNair on how trades will work with other teams: 'They'll know who to call. We'll execute the plan.'

Cal McNair on 610 about Jack Easterby: 'We're really lucky to have Jack with us. His role is to do whatever it takes to make organization grow and operate at absolute peak performance.'

Cal McNair emphasizing 'state of the art' facilities

Cal McNair on 610: 'We have a lot of excitement. We look forward to winning games.'

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Who? The coach, owner, chaplain, VP of development, or the VP of football operations, or the VP of personnel, or the traveling secretary?

J.R. likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

THEY'LL KNOW WHO TO CALL, BRIAN.

13. SuraGotMadHops

I never thought of it that way but that is really good point. If BOB flames out Cal may be thinking about having a new GM reconstruct the staff the way he sees fit.

Uprising likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Of course. I do not want BOB anywhere near a GM hire unless it's going to be another one of his NE cronies (honestly, who else could it be?). Clean house after this season.

Cal hires>New Team President who hires>New GM who hires>New Coach

Uprising and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

OK.. Well trade for Ramsey, Melvin, :) lol

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Are the fireworks about to start? @J.R.

J.R. and TheRealist137 like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

No fireworks.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/24/texans-talk-podcast-trade-rumors-ian-rapoport/

-There are people in place to do the various jobs. People will be tasked with doing different things. ... Bill O'Brien will have a big say in this. It's clear he's interested in wheeling & dealing and making trades as well. ...

-(Melvin Gordon/Duke Johnson?) With Melvin, those trades are really hard. A top 10 RB who will command more than $10M per year and then you trade for him, there's not a lot of teams that view that as good realistic value. When Le'Veon Bell wanted to be traded, no one traded for him. Everyone knew he needed a new deal & didn't get traded. Gordon will face some of that.

For Duke Johnson, he has a large salary($4M) for a 3rd down RB. That's part of the issue. Yes, he's a good player & would probably be productive but what is the value there and does it make sense for teams to do that?

-(Trent Williams?) I have not heard that Washington would actually trade him. They're in a situation where they need to win right now. Do you want to trade your franchise LT with a rookie QB when you have to win? Plus the health situation. He had the cancer scare earlier in the offseason. He's had surgeries on his scalp cosmetically to make sure he's OK. I don't know that he'd be clear to play football right now. No team would trade for him without knowing he's 100%. These trades, despite the chatter, these trades are hard to do & why in the NFL they rarely happen.

-(Patrick Peterson/Darius Slay?) My understanding with Peterson is that he's at a point he believes he'll be a member of the Cardinals the rest of his career. I had the owner Michael Bidwell tell me on the record last year he was absolutely not going to be traded. I have not been told he's available.

With Darius Slay, he's in camp, a really good player, got a high salary as is(4th/5th highest paid corner) and wanted a new contract. I'd be very surprised if the Lions ended up parting ways with him. Very surprised.

-(Clowney trade?) I've heard the rumors but haven't heard anything to make me think any talks got off the ground. It's incredibly difficult to do a deal now because you trade for him & he'd count $15M+ against the cap and you aren't allowed to do a new deal. You'd have to come up with a team willing to give up a first, have the cap space & new contract at the end of the year or OK with letting him walk. I'm not at a point where I can say any of those talks have credence.

-(Any truth it was O'Brien who was unsure about signing him long term?) Well yeah. Bill O'Brien is at a point now where he's the main voice with the Texans and what he says is pretty much the way it is. I do believe O'Brien would like to see Clowney go out & prove it for a year. Be healthy, practice, be a good teammate, be productive, get a lot of sacks, all the things you want from someone who will be one of your leaders, highest paid guys. Bill O'Brien would like to see him do it again and if it costs them in the long run so be it or if they end up letting him walk & getting a 3rd round compensatory pick.

-(Potential costs of re-signing their own(Watson, Fuller, Reader) in the next year or two?) It's a good problem to have. You want to be a team that has core guys you need to re-sign. That's why Clowney is interesting. He's a home grown draft pick, great player who hasn't been able to be re-signed. These are the things you'd like to do. Some of them figure in their long term plans. Texans have done a lot of good business over the years & expect them to continue to do that.

-(Watt/Hopkins PUP) I don't think it's something to be concerned about. More of a caution than anything. Both will be fine. When it's this time of year & can go easy on them, you want to take advantage of that.

-(Kahale Warring's injury/situation?) That's one I've not. I have not heard that it's anything major. They like him a lot. Have not heard any injury being alarmed about.

-(See the offense changing under Tim Kelly or very much O'Brien's offense?) It's very much O'Brien's offense, as it should be. He's the head coach. He's the man in charge. He should have his offense. Kelly is interesting though. I remember Bill O'Brien pulling me aside in Indy for the combine and pointing Kelly out & saying he's going to be great, you need to get to know him. Basically 'You probably haven't heard of him yet, he's just a TE coach but he's great.' For O'Brien, that was a big move in the offseason. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. Sounds like he's a good, young coach.

-(Addition of former players to the coaching staff) Not sure how much effect on the day-to-day. Cushing will probably have the biggest effect. Assuming he's as good a strength coach as he was weight lifter/fitness person, I think he'll be really good. It's really just culture now. Getting good guys in the building. It's a good move for the organization.

-(Watson being overlooked?) I'm not overlooking him. Most people who know view him as one of the best young QBs in the NFL. Obviously Mahomes got the publicity as he should have. We tend to pay attention to the things in front of us. Mahomes was in front of us last year. Watson is every bit as good, every bit as talented and if things go right, could have every bit as good a year. If you told me midseason Watson was a MVP candidate, I don't think I'd be that surprised.

-(Outside corner other than Joseph. Is he in the building at this time?) That's one I don't know. I'll be curious to see how that goes or if they get to cut down day and say we need to make a move. At one point, the Vikings were willing to part with Trae Waynes. There's going to be corners available. Do they want to trade for them or stick with what they have within?

-(Thoughts on the Texans rookie class?) I don't know enough right now to speak with gravity on it. I haven't seen enough where I'm ready to weigh in.

-(Any players worth keeping an eye on?) I would say the LT position is one to watch. (Howard)Can he start from day one? Mostly, they needed depth/security at a bunch of different places. How quickly do some of these rookies come in & play?

-(Texans offseason in the AFCS) Some of that depends on their draft. Free agency was fine. Wasn't massive but it was fine. The GM situation looms overall. They have good people in the building capable of doing the job a GM would do. When Cal McNair says they'll be fine, they may be fine. Really smart people in there doing good jobs. The offseason was fine. They were already poised to be good so I'm fascinated to see which way they go.

Commodore, Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

#3259 J.R., Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. "Wheelin and Dealin"......

BOB: Yeah, Id like to "wheel and deal" for all your backup guards, but one stipulation, they have to be versatile.
    Other GMs: You got it BOB.

ima_drummer2k, Fulgore and J.R. like this.