1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is the thread for training camp updates.

#1 Castor27, Mar 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[Texans] Training Camp Thread

The LONG offseason ends today. Football season, football season. Thank God Almighty, it's football season!!

July 26, 2007, 2:38AM
    COMMENTARY

If Schaub's the answer, what's the question?

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The questions the Texans must answer in the sixth year of the franchise's existence go far beyond the usual depth-chart chatter that follows every NFL team this time of year.

They include questions about restoring confidence in the ticket-buying public. There are questions that have to do with philosophies of upper management and whether decisions that have been made will get the team pointed in the right direction.

There are questions of aesthetics regarding everything from whether the second-rate turf at Reliant Stadium again will look awful to if just showing up at the otherwise beautiful football facility still will be enough to appease fans.

There are questions of how on-field leadership will develop, namely Gary Kubiak's sophomore season as head coach. There are questions about general manager Rick Smith's offseason and finding ways to move past the Vince Young-Reggie Bush debacle of a year ago.

But for all the questions — and we haven't yet even touched the multiple unknowns all over the Texans' roster — there is only one answer.

His name is Matt Schaub.

He's got the whole Texans world in his hands.

Everything else secondary

This will be Schaub's camp, Schaub's season and Schaub's time to convince a city that a team which has done so many things wrong and had so much bad luck finally is worth caring about.

Neither Kubiak, Smith nor Texans owner Bob McNair would dare put that kind of pressure on a 26-year-old quarterback who has started exactly two NFL games in his three-year career.

But the fact is, Kubiak was answering roster questions Wednesday about everything from who will be the backup left tackle to the likelihood of signing a player from Mexico (Eduardo Castaneda) as part of the NFL's International Development Practice Squad Program.

It's all nice chatter, but it all pales in comparison to the only thing that really will matter for the Texans this year.

They need a quarterback, a leader and a tough-minded winner. They need a face of the franchise, a captivating presence who earns respect from teammates every day instead of losing it.

They not only need all of that but they need it all to come from the same player — Schaub.

Since he was acquired in an offseason trade with the Atlanta Falcons for draft picks, teammates have raved about the differences they have seen in Schaub's approach compared to that of former quarterback David Carr.

Where Carr often showed up only when it was required and often bolted early after after-noon meetings, Schaub has taken control and led the way.

"If I come in at 6:30 in the morning, he's already there and through with his workout," Texans guard Chester Pitts said. "Matt's taken command. He has a pocket presence. So goes the quarterback, so goes the team."

Kubiak has said Schaub has done everything asked of him and then some as he prepares for his first season as a starting quarterback in the league. There's a real feeling among everyone in the organization that work and leadership will not ever be a problem.

Off to a good start

During organized team activities in the spring, Schaub showed strength on passes over the middle, the ability to slide out of trouble in the pocket and a pursuit of perfection in the huddle that has some players kidding him about how he is so diligent in the way he enunciates his play-calls.

That's all good for now, of course. What will matter most is translating it all to the field.

The season whose journey begins today when players report to training camp will be a long one. Name a spot on the roster and there likely is a question to be answered.

Left tackle Charles Spencer, who showed so much potential before suffering a severe leg injury early last season, begins the year on the physically-unable-to-perform list and could be done. Receivers are young and unproven. Kick return star Jerome Mathis is healthy but has hamstrings that pop like taut guitar strings.

There's the importance of defensive end Mario Williams doing something to justify the No. 1 overall selection and battles for jobs at center, safety, cornerback, linebacker and tight end.

There's the kid rookie — Amobi Okoye — and the veteran star — Ahman Green — trying to settle things along the defensive line and in the backfield.

It's all important, sure. But none of it is as important as answering just one question: Is Schaub the man?

If that answer is yes, the Texans are on their way back into your heart.

john.lopez@chron.com

LINK

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

19-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Finally, some football action. Can't to see the Schaub/AJ/AG combo in full effect!

5. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I'm so excited about the acquisition of Green. And I love what we've done with our defense. I've been hearing good things about Mario Williams' work during the offseason.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah no doubt vince young should be even better in his 2nd year

;)

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm excited for football season and I have seasons tickets for the Texans.

But honestly looking at the roster I am a bit wary.

8. Rockets34Legend

[​IMG]

Houston Texans wide receivers Keenan McCardell (14) and Andre Johnson, right, talk during the team's first NFL football training camp workout Friday, July 27, 2007 in Houston. McCardell, an unrestricted free agent, signed with the Texans on Friday.

[​IMG]

Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub (8) listens to a coach during the team's first NFL football training camp workout Friday, July 27, 2007 in Houston. Schaub is replacing former starting quarter David Carr this season.

[​IMG]

Houston Texans players ride on a cart for the team's first NFL football training camp workout Friday, July 27, 2007 in Houston.

[​IMG]

Houston Texans first-round draft pick Amobi Okoye (91) battle guard Fred Weary (70) during the team's first NFL football training camp workout Friday, July 27, 2007 in Houston.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh so we signed Okoye? Sweet.

10. Rockets34Legend

[​IMG]

Houston Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye (91) battles guard Chester Pitts (69) during the team's first NFL football training camp workout Friday, July 27, 2007 in Houston. Okoye is the Texans first-round draft pick.

[​IMG]

Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub throws a pass during the team's first NFL football training camp workout Friday, July 27, 2007 in Houston. Schaub replaces former starting quarterback David Carr this season.

[​IMG]

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak gives instructions to his team during the their first NFL football training camp workout Friday, July 27, 2007 in Houston.

11. Rockets34Legend

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL - Chester Pitts has to hold Okoye's jersey in order to keep him from going around him. Veteran move. :D

FYI - I will try to get tickets to the practices... if I get to go, I will be wearing my ROCKETS red hat.

Thank you for the photos, nWo34Life.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D

you can hold if its in his chest. plus you cant go easy the rookie :D

thank god some football is coming about though.

im excited. anything is better than carr. Green has some legs left and im optimistic of taylor. I hope mario makes a huge stride but i do like the front line much better.

8-8 here we come. w00t

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You mean Darren McFadden here we come.

...and then fleece the Cowyboy's hillbilly owner so he can draft his Arkie boy.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have tickets to tomorrow's practice from 8 to 11. If it doesn't rain... I'll take some pics. I have no idea how to post them, but I'll worry about that later.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Is Spencer done? Exactly how bad is his injury and what does that mean for the OL come fall?

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Spencer is on the PUP list which means he cannot come back untill week 8.

Basically, it means Matt Schaub will be on his back more than Paris Hilton.

I think the line is better, but I think Schaub will also know to get rid of the ball.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He still has cartilage in his knee, so he's not done. They're just taking a very cautious approach to putting him back on the field. The knee needs to be fully ready before all that weight starts trying to shift around on it.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Texans have really nice uniforms. That's something.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Chris Taylor out for season.