1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Although I could have started this several weeks ago, here it is. All off season moves and talk go here. I will create a draft thread closer to draft day, until then you can discuss it in here. IF there is a coaching change I will also start a new coach search thread.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

FIRE KUBIAK!

Seriously though, who are our possible free agents??

first?

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

champ bailey

larry fitzgerald

Antonio Cromartie

and 5 wins

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'll be tickled to death if we could at least get Champ

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Should I be optimistic?

Same as last season, if not worse.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Meh.

Please give us someone. Champ, Ike, a big nose tackle, Larry FItzgerald, somebody.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't even care what players they sign if they keep Kubiak. Signing Champ Bailey and bringing in Wade Phillips and then sneaking into the playoffs to get beat in the first round would be so bittersweet. It would mean Kubiak would stick around longer and we can continue the perpetual mediocrity.

I know I might be alone in this, but going to the playoffs once in six years would mean nothing to me in terms of the quality of our coach. Woo hoo.

8. msn

msn Member

I'm with you on the point that it doesn't say much about his record as a coach.

But I have to admit, even if Mickey Mouse or BHO was our head coach, I'd be giddy like a school girl if they finally made the playoffs, even knowing we'd be stuck with said head coach for at least one more year.

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I am just not with the wanting your team to lose so we dump the head coach school of thought.

I am not sure it is possible to be more fed up with Coach "Ah....but I can't run when I have been popping off 7 yards a carry...that's just what they EXPECT me to do. Clutch field goal?!? I can't bear to watch....Hold me, Colorado State scrub. Just put me in your big strong arms and keep me safe." Kubiak. But if he, or VY, Satan or Adolph Hitler leads us into the playoffs, I would sign up to give him another year myself.

The playoffs are what it is all about and I would give my left one to be there.

10. justtxyank

I would obviously be happy to make the playoffs, it just would suck that with our owner it would guarantee him multiple more years as our head coach even if he didn't get back the playoffs after that.

Some organizations let people ride the coattails of a superbowl win for too long, this team's owner is going to let this coach ride on the memory of a 9-7 season. Think about that for a moment. Now think about what this owner would do if Kubiak made the playoffs next year. Would he get another 5 or 6 years without them?

That's my fear.

11. justtxyank

If you hired a builder to build you a home and it took him 4 years to complete it, would you hire him to build your next home? Just because it finally got done doesn't mean he was the right man for the job.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Pfft. Home??? So far, in 5 years, Gary Kubiak has only managed to complete the master bedroom, and part of the kitchen. Even with that, Bob McNair STILL wants him to build the rest of the house. At this rate, we won't have a roof until the 2015 season.

13. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

i say the texans better sign anybody and everybody available on defense that at some point was a stud at there position like bailey and even Haynesworth. The dude wants to play in the 4-3 so lets give it to him. I'm tire of this team playing it safe. Take a risk, he will have something to prove next year once he gets cut from washington.

14. val_modus

val_modus Member

Realistically i can see us picking up Ike Taylor or Terrence Newman if Dallas cuts him, however i hear everybody mentioning a Larry Fitzgerald signing... is there any truth to this? Is there a chance we can go after him, i mean the QB situation in Arizona is awful so i can see him jumping ship.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Here's to hoping its not a dreadful offseason... #hope

16. justtxyank

It's crazy to think Bob McNair would ok the team going after Fitz.

Think about it for a minute. We have a need at CB and there is a guy who has been an elite CB in his career in Champ Bailey available and a guy who has always been good, but never elite in Ike Taylor. Which one do the Texans get rumored to be after? Taylor.

This team isn't cheap, but they seem to like to overpay for middle of the pack than top tier.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Mangini was fired in Cleveland. If Rob Ryan doesn't get promoted, any chance the new coach doesn't keep him on and no other team offers him a HC position? Any chance we could bring him in as DC?

/wishful thinking

18. Two Sandwiches

I brought this up a while ago (probably about 6 weeks ago). The reason I suggested it is because Fitz reportedly isn't terribly happy in Arizona. He has no quarterback, and they have let many of the other receivers go. I don't know how much winning has to do with this unhappiness (thus, how great our chances are at getting him).

Anyways, he seems to be at his best when he's paired with another good receiver or two. If he were paired with Andre, teams couldn't double team the both of them. If they tried it, that relegates a linebacker to Owen Daniels. Couple that with the emergence of Arian Foster, and you could have a potential tops all-time offense.

I know we shouldn't ignore our defense, but you could argue that this would help our defense, by helping our offense.

Seriously, if you sign Fitzgerald, sign a nose tackle or good corner, and draft the other one, you're on your way, in my opinion. That is assuming the new defensive coordinator actually helps a bit.

/my defense of a luxury signing.

19. Two Sandwiches

I wish we'd bring in Marvin Lewis. That would be a dream come true. I think he'll get a few head coach offers, though.

Ryan would be a good choice, too.

20. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Has Kubiak signed an extension yet? After that win yesterday we are clearly on the right track.