1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Broncos

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

BOB undoubtedly has his issues, some of which seem ingrained and are likely to present problems moving forward. But there's never ONE answer to problems, and I think people need to keep in mind that the Texans played yesterday with essentially one WR while keeping their TEs and/or RBs in to help block what is a ferocious pass rush. That they won is borderline hard to fathom.

Yes, the OL is a problem and BOB has a central role in that. But he's scheming to minimize its impact on the team, while playing with a hurt QB (also, to some degree, his fault) while missing 2 key offensive components.

Red.Glare, macho GRANDE, csj and 3 others like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Other than Hopkins, you would literally trade every offensive starter on the Texans for the Saints, including the QB.

Stop setting this unattainable standard and live in the Texans' reality. They are, most weeks, undermanned. We can point fingers, etc., but they're making do (quite well) with what they have. They had, essentially, one functioning WR yesterday.

macho GRANDE and mario_v like this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

Game recognizes game

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Please check out the play at 1:28.

Lamm and Kelemente perfectly picking up the stunt between Miller and Wolfe. Beautiful improvement from the OL as compared to earlier in the season.

Lamm improvement is a huge development for this team. HUGE.

Hey Now! and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not that I necessarily think BoB is a good coach, because in general I feel like he probably isn't the guy that could lead a team to a Superbowl win, but I as well feel like we probably lay off him somewhat. The first few games of the season Watson was just getting pulverized right and left when we tried to utilize a pass heavy offense with a porous offensive line. I think part of his solution to keep Deshawn on his feet and healthy was a decision to make a commitment to the run, even when it isn't wholly effective. That way at least teams wouldn't pin their ears back and blitz Watson every other down, which both serves to reduce the hits on him (already ailing) and gives him more of a chance to make plays with his legs.

I do feel like there is a lack of creativity from BoB, however, surrounding the WAY he tries to keep Watson clean. We should be doing more screen passes or RB dump offs, etc. We don't have to always run a standard hand-off up the middle.

SuraGotMadHops and Hey Now! like this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I agree with all of this, and I have no issues with trying to "establish the run." What I have an issue with is the manner in which he tried to do it. I understand that you have to dance with the one who brung ya, but Alfred Blue is NOT the answer for short yardage situations. In fact, he's not the answer for MOST situations. At this point, I'd prefer someone off the street who at least I know isn't going to dance and stutter step 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I understand that the OL is mediocre to bad at run blocking, but Blue doesn't exactly do them any favors by taking a full 3 steps to get his momentum going.

Also, what's it going to take to run an offense with some quick hits like what Denver was running? A simple TE hook or out route gives your QB a very quick option at the LOS, and allows you to neutralize the pass rush. Not every pass play needs to be a long and drawn out. Watson has the arm strength and the accuracy to be effective on those plays.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

just because we are the weakest of the 4 AFC division leaders, no reason to be despondent

once you get into the playoffs, every game is winnable, especially when we have DW4

that's all you can ask for

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That's why it's so frustrating to have BoB as the coach. He recognize the problems and weakness of his team, but isn't creative on trying to fix it. It's like having a student that knows all the topic of the test very well, but does poorly on test b/c his brain shuts off when it matters.

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

I don't know about that. Maybe. But I think we're probably closer to SD/Pittsburgh than they are to KC/New England. Big issue for us is health. We need our secondary to get healthy; we need our WRs to get healthy (or, in DT's case, up to speed); we need our OL to get healthy, and we need our QB to get healthy.

A healthy Texan team, as you mentioned, with DW, is a tough out in the playoffs.

10. Hey Now!

Does anybody remember 2014, when he was successfully ripping up his game plan each week because they had a new starting QB? I don't think he forgot how to coach. Or, even last year when he, on the fly, revamped his offense around a (fully healthy) Watson.

He struggles with game management. But he *does* seem to possess creativity when it comes to gameplanning, which makes me think he's more hamstrung than we realize.

macho GRANDE and csj like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Creativity is definitely there. Its the implementing the play and implementing them at the right time, that he has a problem with. Also even if his gameplan is good, good defenses will adjust and he doesnt know how to adjust back in-game. Flashes of kubiak all over again.

12. Hey Now!

Man... maybe. Again, he's playing with essentially one offensive weapon and an OL that, fully healthy, isn't particularly good. There isn't much he can do to adjust; he just doesn't have many options.

macho GRANDE and mario_v like this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I find it hard to believe that out of the bazillion of plays for rushing, he can only utilized one, rushing it down the middle? I get that the team is weak at oline and we are hampered with injuries, I refuse to believed that we are that limited that BoB can justify using that same ineffective play over and over.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Shhhh! He's not a CB. He's a safety. Easier to keep him next season with safety money than with CB money.

15. Hey Now!

Texans RBs totaled 301 yards on 64 carries (4.7 YPC) the previous two games - was anybody complaining about the running game before yesterday? Again, they had one healthy offensive weapon (Hopkins); Denver stacked the box as a result. But they have to run to set-up other aspects of their (limited) offense.

hieuytran likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

17. conquistador#11

I think balance has always been key to any contender. No one in their right minds is asking to air it out 40 times a game, shotgun all the time. What I want is not allowing the defense to T off on your tendencies. it's all about tendencies. You could counter that up the middle run to a stretch play, a bootleg which had denver on their heels earlier.
    b.o. b was basically tipping his pitches on purpose in the second half without any malice to bait the defense to get comfortable.

We were around 43% under center and 57% in uggs this week, which is what I like. It was the highest % for snaps under center all season. This is from my advanced memo pad and pen. Still waiting for the fancy pants website for verification.

In all this what gets lost is that when you think of home field advantages Uggs field and Mile high stadium easily come to mind. Is hella hard to win there. Proud of the win.

Hey Now! likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Honestly, I would call Bruce Ellington and apologize, send flowers to his wife, then use whatever ransom or blackmail tactic Tillman used to get Jeff Bz back. We need you Bruce.

macho GRANDE and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Did you see the chip block on Miller by Jordan Thomas at 1:38 ?!?! He drilled his ass. That's a TE who can play every down.

No Worries likes this.