1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Scott Foster against the Rockets thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BoomTown, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

You are part of the problem. If you tolerate this beheivor now then don't be surprised when others like it to your detriment.

Crashlanded19 and malakas like this.
  2. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

This was an amazing game....he got exposed, time for our ****in organization to do something about it

J Sizzle and bballjunkie like this.
  3. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lol at the league investigating something that they’ve without question mandated. We didn’t lose this game because it was rigged but the league has been influencing outcomes for years and years.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Certain gambling statistic sites have it

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Fyreball and Handles like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. What's the worst that could happen? You eat a small fine?

That's more than worth it if it at least ups the awareness of how one sided Foster is against Houston. I'm surprised they've waited this long. Foster already cost them Game 7 against GSW last season.

9. smp

smp Member

For those who forgot:

"In the letter submitted by Donaghy's attorney, the following "manipulation" is alleged:"

"Referees A, F and G were officiating a playoff series between Teams 5 and 6 in May of 2002. It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew referees A and F to be 'company men,' always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series. Referees A and F heavily favored Team 6. Personal fouls [resulting in obviously injured players] were ignored even when they occurred in full view of the referees. Conversely, the referees called made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6. Their foul-calling also led to the ejection of two Team 5 players. The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night, and Team 6 came back from behind to win that series."

• "Tim explained the league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so would hurt ticket sales and television ratings," the letter adds. "As an example, Tim explained how there were times when a referee supervisor would tell referees that NBA Executive X did not want them to call technical fouls on star players or remove them from the game. In January 2000, Referee D went against these instructions and elected a star player in the first quarter of the game. Referee D later was privately reprimanded by the league for that ejection

• The letter also alleges that during a 2005 playoff series, "Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's Owner complained to NBA officials. Team 3's Owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. Referee Supervisor Z informed the referees about his instructions. As an alternate referee for that game, Tim also received these instructions."

During the 2005 postseason, Mavs owner Mark Cuban did in fact complain after his team lost to the Houston Rockets in the first two games of their series, and Dallas went on to beat Houston in seven games. Jeff Van Gundy, then the coach of the Rockets, said that an NBA official had told him about the league's plan to closely monitor moving screens by Yao Ming, and Van Gundy was ultimately fined $100,000 for his comments regarding the situation. Van Gundy later backed off his comments."

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Listening to ESPN radio in Dallas, and they agree. In MF-ing Dallas!!!

joshuaao likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Donaghy never explained to the league how he rigged games, he told them how other refs allegedly did. To this day, he's never admitted to rigging them himself. He even wrote a friggin' book about what happened and still never claimed to have affected the scores of games directly via his calls.

There's a great, thoroughly researched article on ESPN.com about Donaghy that goes into all this in detail. Donaghy NEVER admitted to the league that he rigged games. His only admission was that he bet on games he reffed. That's why he was fired by the NBA. He did jail time because he plead guilty to "using coded language to tip gamblers about players' physical condition and player/referee relations," and his sentence was for wire fraud and transmitting betting information, not for fixing games. He's hinted at times that he influenced the actual games with his calls, but has never come right out and said it.

That said, the league knew that Donaghy and Foster were cozy and chummy during the year's he was cheating, and that the last year before Donaghy got caught, Donaghy was cheating on nearly every game he reffed and texting/calling Foster WAY more than any other of his ref buddies. Not only that, the calls were almost all made from or to a burner phone Donaghy used strictly for gambling-related business.

You'll never convince me that Scott Foster isn't crooked as f%$k. The league knew about his involvement with Donaghy, but because Donaghy didn't roll over on him, they had no absolute proof. Besides, it was way less embarrassing to admit publicly that they had ONE rogue gambling ref. If they fired both of them, then it begins to look like they have a legitimate "referee problem."

I also think the league's reluctance to fire Foster back then is what keeps him employed by them a decade later: Now they would look REALLY bad if it somehow came out that they knew he was crooked and overlooked it to avoid the bad publicity. Foster can get away with a lot simply because they're afraid to discipline him. It's a travesty, and what makes it suck even more is that he seems to have a grudge against the Rockets for some weird reason.

#71 topfive, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    joshuaao and rantsolpuella13 like this.
  12. smp

smp Member

I did not read his book but I have read many articles on the situation. He knew who to bet on based on which refs were assigned. He alleges certain refs were company men sent in to influence the game toward an outcome that was best for the league. If that's not rigging then I don't know what is.

That said, the Rockets could have won this game despite the influence of Scott Fixer. They keep chucking 3s and ignoring defense when they build a lead.

13. malakas

malakas Member

14. macan

macan Member

Matt Barnes agrees with Harden and CP

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  15. Handles

Handles Member

Are you kidding? Any time Foster refs I bet against us. I've won a decent bit these last couple seasons. I can only imagine if I were playing with big boy cash...

I hate that Foster is a referee (the fact that he's still around tells me the NBA is in on it), but as long as he's a ref I will use this to my advantage. It sucks that Rockets take the L's, but it's easy money to bet against us when Foster refs. It's not 100% but it feels close, he has such a good win rate against us. So many people want to ignore that the NBA is rigged. I haven't ignored it; I've been acting on it. I understand I can lose my edge by saying this but damn I'm tired of getting jobbed by Foster. He's dirty and he should be banned from the league. (But the league is most likely in on it!)

I'm a rockets fan only and I haven't spent enough time to see Foster's other patterns, else I'd bet on those too. After this game, I'm scared Foster might be catching too much heat (it's amazing what he can get away with, though). I'll probably hold my bet on the next game to be safe.

I noticed that too. Isn't this the perfect time to rig a game? The Rockets are so hated that fans will just laugh and say "HaRdEn COMplaInING AboUT ReFS? lOL". It's also convenient that we (Harden) shot ourselves out of the game. Fans' hate for us, love for lakers, and our collapse all combine to make it super easy to ignore how shitty the ref job (Foster) was last night.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

So if we all bet $100 each against the Rox every time Scott Foster is reffing, we could pool our winnings to cover the repeater tax. AD, here we come!

Richie_Rich, Clutch and Handles like this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, Donaghy has walked a very fine line between saying exactly what has been going on and saying so much that he further incriminates himself.

I have to wonder whether there are actually orders going down from the league office telling refs to influence specific games to get desired outcomes. It seems far-fetched, but not as far-fetched as some of the inexplicable results we've seen over the last 20 years.

Can you imagine the shitstorm that would result from something like that actually being proven true? To my knowledge, there's never been a professional sports league in this country that was caught forcing outcomes to get ratings.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I took time to document all of the refs that officiated at each of the Rockets' games this season. Foster has officiated only TWO of our games this year. I know the NBA and refs assign refs to move around the league but I thought this was an odd finding

1819refs.jpg

DwangBoy, jch1911, smp and 2 others like this.