1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And there you go again stating things as fact that you can't possibly know.

Once again I ask you please give me some actual numbers that you are basing this M4A system that you think can happen.

Your entire argument is based on what you have been told M4A will accomplish.

Why do you want to get rid of private insurance?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read that. It talks about non-urgent care and the wait time. If a medical procedure is urgent and they are overbooked and can't perform it, they fly the patient and if needed a caregiver to another European nation. I know because an acquaintance in GB has had to do this with his grandfather. Furthermore, he said that most of the time there isn't that long of a wait.

I believe that it can vary from situation to situation. The United Kingdom is ranked 18th in world healthcare. The United States is ranked 37th. So they are almost 20 places ahead of us in providing quality healthcare to their populace.

3. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

There's going to be a lot that needs ironed out. There will obviously be pros and cons but one of the biggest obstacles is pricing of procedures, pharmaceuticals and administrative costs which can be brought down to reasonable levels when the government negotiats them much like healthcare providers do. Everything here is much more expensive than in other places. That's why despite not having "socialized" medicine, we spend way more tax dollars on healthcare than any other nation.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Because people won't need it. It is a middle man. It will help reduce the cost of healthcare. I'm talking about the proposed M4A plans. I'm not talking about anything I know for certain. Since it has not been passed there are zero people who know for certain what it would be like. If it were passed, there are zero people who know what it would look like 5 years from its inception after it has been refined and tweaked.

What we do know are the proposals. And they model a system where people could choose their own doctors. You seem to be opposed to the idea of a system where people can choose their own doctors without insurance.

Medicare has a higher approval rating than private insurance. Other nations that have a similar system of universal healthcare are ranked higher in the healthcare they provide than the United States.

You are free to point out all of the things about it that you might not like. But it doesn't change the fact that similar models are ranked higher, and it would reduce the cost, cover more people, lead to quality of life increases, which all leads to greater productivity in workers, etc.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with all of that just not sure M4A is the best or only way to do that.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do I seem opposed to the idea of a system where people can choose their own doctors without insurance?

I don't think that system will exist with M4A it does not totally exist in Canada and the UK because of location and wait times.

Other countries have universal healthcare and the also still have private insurance.

Why can't we still have that choice?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think the location thing is not really a distinction. I don't imagine people traveling out of state to go to doctors. Folks there that are on holiday or whatever and get sick are still able to go to doctors.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Mayor Pete reading his own thread...

[​IMG]

joshuaao, KingCheetah and Deckard like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Folks in Canada can also pay for supplemental insurance. In other words, private insurance to go along with national healthcare. That likely happens in the UK, as well. I don't have a friend living there who has it, like I do in Canada. My friend really likes Canada's system. He's a native Texan who moved to British Columbia during the 1970's.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It is 100% true in my experience in Houston/Katy. Never had a long wait and never had anyone not accept it. The only issue I've ever had was a neurologist try to charge up and above Medicare and I simply found another one without any problem. It's been no different from my private insurance except for drug costs which are dramatically higher under Medicare.

#450 CometsWin, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pete getting in the weeds.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes that does happen in the UK, I am not saying those systems suck or anything, I would probably love it since I don't go to the doctor much.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Zach has trouble understanding English. He's accusing them of looking the other way at racism which is an accurate thing to do. He isn't accusing them of actually being racist themselves.

joshuaao and baller4life315 like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Location is definitely a distinction, rural areas will be underserved more than urban areas.

I have no idea what traveling out of state has to do with it, I am sure that will much easier with M4A.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Houston and Katy are one of the best areas in the U.S. for concentration of doctors, that does not translate to all other areas of Texas and the U.S.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"Katy? We're discussing Katy in mah thread now?"

[​IMG]

Deckard and ryan_98 like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

People in rural areas currently have few physicians and medical locations to visit. That isn't a change from the current situation so it isn't a distinction. Traveling out of an area to another state isn't going to be a common problem. I guess it depends on how big the areas are if the M4A would be.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The change would be more need for those fewer resources.

So yes it is a distinction.

More patients in an area that already has fewer doctors, its simple math.

Why do you keep talking about out of state, I never mentioned out of state.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Actually, the distinction would be that it is easier. There are already fewer physcians and medical facilities in rural communities but people's insurance or lack there-of would limit which of those few resources they could use. Uder M4A they could use any of them in the area. So they would have a greater choice of which doctors and facilities to use.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

This makes no sense.

If resources are already thin and there are no choices how does that make it easier or better?

And you have yet to answer the question of why we need ton do away with private insurance when both Canada and the UK offer it.