1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Olympiakos/Qyntel Woods Support thread

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SamFisher, Oct 1, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sign here if you support the greatest team in Greece...Olympiakos.

They are the Chicago Bulls of Europe and are the team of the 90's. They have a strong squad featuring some impressive NBA failures like Qyntel Woods, who hopefully will get his career back on track by winning a greek title.

Hopefully they can sign some NBA rejects to help them get past the PAO, which is apparently changing its name to Washedupanaikos Athens. Their signings of Spanoulis and Jasikevicus have really put the pressure on Olympiakos to come up with a big flopping fish failure of a signing, such as say, a Casey Jacobsen or a Stromile Swift - I hear scuttlebutt of a possible Mr. Shawn Respert making an appearance in red. Could Charles O'Bannon be far behind?

GO OLYMPIAKOS!

#1 SamFisher, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Qyntel Woods was Michael Vick in Oregon.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I called and asked for season tickets, but they kept talking about "harvest season" and "what farm equipments" could I operate. :confused:

[​IMG]

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I prefer to support Olympia Dukakis:

[​IMG]

She rocked in Moonstruck.

5. SamFisher

Yeah, errrr..sorry I probably should have mentioned that. There is a one-goat minimum to join the fan club. which is not that unreasonable if you think about it.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm confused. Is that one goat in addition to Spanoulis?

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

8. SamFisher

Well, after watching the wretched performance of PAO tonight, I am quite confident that Olympiakos will be lifting the coveted GOLDEN PITCHFORK at the end of the season when they dominate barnyard league.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Are you kidding? That's a dowry in some countries.

Let's bring back Dowries!!!

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Didn't Olympiakos also sign Jake Tsakalidis?

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Very instructive to read that scouting report. nba draft net and Gibbons etc.

Maybe we should give the Rockets a break on the Battier for Rudy Gay trade, though in retrospect it was a disaster.

12. apollo

apollo Member

http://www.galanissportsdata.com/basketball/mena1/season2007_08/a1game.asp?game=21

Panathinaikos 81 Olympiacos 77

Spanoulis leading scorer with 27 points in 28 minutes off the bench.

http://www.galanissportsdata.com/basketball/mena1/season2007_08/a1rank.asp?day=

Greek A1 league standings top 7 teams

1. Panellinios 3-0
    2. Egaleo 3-0
    3. Panathinaikos 3-0 (Spanoulis' team they have won 5 Greek championships in a row)
    4. Olympiacos 2-1
    5. Aris 2-1
    6. A.E.L. 1964 2-1
    7. Panionios 2-1 (Brad Newley's team)

There are only 3 teams that actually are good enough to even be allowed in Euroleague, Panathinaikos, Olympiacos, and Aris. Looks like another 2nd place for Olympiacos is just a formality.

BTW Spanoulis leads the league in assists at 6.0 a game

http://www.galanissportsdata.com/basketball/mena1/season2007_08/a1pltotrs.asp?s=03

He also leads in the "unofficial category" of NBA type assists at 9.0 a game the stat is unofficial because FIBA assists only count if heading towards the basket.

Oh an Euroleague (the real important one )of course:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/standings

Panathinaikos 2-0

Olympiacos 1-1

BTW, Newley isn't doing jack in the Greek league.

13. SamFisher

Very grim news, Olympiakos was obviously robbed by Pana, well known cheaters and barnyard bullies. :(

14. apollo

apollo Member

Even more so Rockets draft pick Newly is like the Luther Head of A1 Ethniki (top Greek league) while Spanoulis is like the Michael Jordan of the same league. No joke that's pretty accurate.

Yep looks like yet another brilliant draft pick by the Rockets management team. :rolleyes:

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Surely you jest.

Even Spanoulis admits he's only the McGrady of Europe.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Newley was picked 54th most of those guys are either waived or never called up.

Are you watching these games or just looking at box scores?

17. SamFisher

Spanoulis is like the Michael Jordan of Greece, Think of his sojourn in the US as Michael Jordan retiring then playing for the Birmingham Barons in 1994, then returning to the NBA, except that Jordan was much better at hitting a curveball than Spanoulis was at playing in the NBA.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

V-Span can play, he just needed to be put in the proper position of PG, glad he is doing well, I hope he comes back to the NBA some day so I can slap Sammy Fisher over the head with a trout the size of New Hampshire.

:D

DD

19. apollo

apollo Member

I watch the games ERT satellite. Newley is an ok player on Panionios Forthnet, which is a mid-level Greek team and also competes in the continental ULEB Cup which is like the NBDL for the Euroleague. He could be said to be a solid player so far.

In comparison Spanoulis plays on the best team in the Greek league and also in Euroleague which his team is also the best team in all of Europe (the real Euroleague not the 2nd division ULEB Cup which Panionios and Newly are in) and he's gone from being considered a star player before he went to the NBA to now a superstar.

Before Dimitris Diamantides was the top star of the Greek league (also a top 3 star of Euroleague overall) now Spanoulis is obviously the top star of the Greek league. He has also now become one of if not the top star of Euroleague.

Newley = scrub compared to Spanoulis so this should give you a good idea of Newley's NBA prospects.

Right now in Euroleague the top players would be

1. Vujicic
    2. Spanoulis
    3. Papaloukas
    4. Diamantides
    5. Smodis

Vujicic is joining the NBA next year so soon Spanoulis will be the top European player and I guess it says something to be the best player in Europe and also play on the best team. So I guess he got his wish of wanting to be the biggest fish in the SECOND best basketball there is. I guess working hard to put his ability to use and improve his game to become a good NBA payer was too hard. Required working to improve. I guess he realized he could just not work to improve and go back to Greece and already be the continent's best player and on it's best team. :rolleyes:

Who knows maybe after a couple of years of being the man he will get the cajones up to try the NBA again with a team he chose himself. Newley on the other hand has miles to go before being NBA ready.

20. SamFisher

This thread is not about spanoulis or his nuthuggers like Dan Dakota.

This is about Olympiakos BC and its supporters around the world like me. If you want to talk about PAO start your own thread.