1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Voting for and working with are two entirely different things. Although I do think the position does hold enough prestige that whoever is asked will accept.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yeah, we all hear that a lot. But it's sort of meaningless metric. 90% of how many total voters? With a Black candidate on the ticket (Obama), Black turnout was much higher, in '08 and '12. If Black turnout had been any higher for Hillary she would have won the election.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Batman Jones

Of course it could also be that the Biden campaign booked a lot of private flights to DE today in order to throw everyone off.

Keeping the pick a surprise is a thing that happens every four years and campaigns go to a lot of trouble to throw people off the trail.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Let's put it this way, I have not heard a single prominent African American candidate state they have reservations about working with Joe Biden. I have heard of some more extreme Sanders supporters complain, regardless of color, but that has to do with his policy decisions.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He is too busy riding his bike.

RayRay10 and KingCheetah like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought he was driving his manual transmission Corvette.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Batman Jones

Sanders voters want Bass, by and large. And his campaign officials have lobbied heavily for her. She's Black and progressive and she's the only Black progressive on the list. We should not disregard the possibility of a wildcard pick either. Biden is old-school and surprise picks are too.

I read and hear over and over that '90% or more Black voters will vote Biden anyway, so what's the big deal?' Here's the big deal: Black turnout can swing the election one way or the other.

Too few people seem to factor this into the equation, but Black turnout was much lower for Kerry and for Hillary than it was when Obama was on the ticket. As I said before, low Black voter turnout swung the 2016 election to Trump. And yes, Black voters voted more than 90% Clinton. There weren't enough Black voters.

Putting a Black woman on the ticket would have the same effect Obama did. When Black voters say not to take their vote for granted, they're not so much talking about voting Trump because they won't. They're talking about staying home.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

...mouth

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Batman Jones

I'd like to see Trump ride a bike.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Batman Jones

The VP pick never matters. This year it matters.

Another recent poll found that 55% of Democrats don't believe Biden will complete his first term. That could be voluntarily or he could die in office. There's always a chance of that happening but there's a greater chance in this cycle than ever before because there's never been an older nominee.

So those that vote Biden aren't only voting Biden. They may be voting for the next president as well and you can be sure that, if they don't get that already, they'll have it hammered into them by the Trump campaign between now and Election Day, no matter who the pick is.

What doesn't matter is a poll that tells us how voters feel about the importance of the VP pick in late July.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Karen Bass has not tripped while trying to walk back niceties she said about Fidel Castro when he died, but she hasn't erased those past words, either. You could kiss Florida goodbye already.

And the Sanders people want Karen Bass? Jeez, our side is really good at self-sabotage.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And it probably doesn’t matter a single bit for Democrats voters. It might matter for independent and former and current republican thinking of voter for Biden. But I think any former and current republican thinking of voting for Biden is likely not going to care that much either. They aren’t pro Biden or pro Dem but anti-trump to consider Biden.

I do agree it’s early and poll can change but I think although age can play a factor, the biggest factor is still trump and he has solidified a voting bloc against him that isn’t likely going to move because of the VP pick. If the VP pick didn’t matter before, it still won’t matter - the age factor is likely less important than the anti-trump factor.

Major and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

I've argued for a long time that he should do just this - especially with Bernie and Warren to excite the progressive left.

I think the way you solve this is announce the VP a couple of days before the convention, and then say you're going to be announcing a diverse cabinet at the convention. Most of these people are speaking at the convention, so you could introduce them as "your next Sec of State, Mayor Pete!" etc.

Also, on a side note, that could be a reason for them to all be meeting with Biden - simply to coordinate the convention, speaking slots, align the message, etc. Seems unlikely, but it would explain Pete.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

So race over qualification to you?

El_Conquistador likes this.
  15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Batman doesn't even realize how racist his post was. Assuming that blacks will vote in a monolithic block for Biden because of a black VP on the ticket? Kinda echoes the Joe Biden comment about blacks not being diverse...

16. Major

Major Member

All of people being discussed are qualified to be VP - it's just a matter of preference of what else you want to get out of the pick. Many VP's are selected for political reasons - Pence was chosen to excite the Christian right. Palin was picked to excite and activate what are now Trump types. Whitmer would be picked in part to juice midwestern turnout. Warren would be picked to do the same with progressives. Rice or Harris would be picked to turn out black voters.

#416 Major, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Batman Jones likes this.
  17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If Biden were smart he’d pick Whitmer. He needs the Rust Belt.

18. Batman Jones

I don't abide this kind of talk in 2020. You can be a racist but I don't have to read about it. Welcome to my ignore list.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I never said it wasn’t important... I was responding to another poster calling Biden racist.

At this point Biden has to pick a black woman, otherwise he would likely pick Duckworth. The progressives may want Bass, but she has said some questionable things. My guess is he holds his nose and takes Harris if Sanders pledges to support the choice. The choice should be Rice from a qualifications standpoint.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Batman Jones

I agree with most of this, but I think Rice or Warren or Bass or Whitmer would be chosen equally much because he prefers them as governing partners.

RayRay10 likes this.