1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Indians @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 18, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Memorial, Piney Point fancy. Way more fancy than my brother for damn sure.

I asked my bro if he was offended that Meluskey didn't start working on his GF too, he said "oh hell no, I didn't let us get that close to him."

mick fry likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Bagwellian

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Dierker was always asking his infielders to do that, especially on the infield fly rule. They seldom did. He opined that it was so contrary to their instincts that they had a hard time doing it and they were also wary of it taking a bad hop. Jose knew that popup would just die in the grass. A bit more of a risk if it is on dirt.

4. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Kemp and Davis replacing Fisher and Marisnick brings a whole new energy to the team. Those guys were performing so badly it dragged the team down.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

I thought it was odd because I didn’t have Kipnis pegged as a speedster.

6. Buck Turgidson

It is absolutely hard to *not* to catch a ball when it's coming at you.

Bagwell had the greatest, most cerebral play I've ever seen. I'm trying to remember the particulars, but he let the ball drop by 1B, then tagged the guy and then stepped on the base. Or a different order, it's been 20 years since I saw it. The umpires were all confused to.

7. bobrek

My original post should have referred to Kipnis as a 'faster' runner as opposed to a 'fast' runner.

8. bobrek

Yep. That would have simply been a nice little running catch had he just stopped where the ball was going to come down. Not sure if you ever saw Gerald Young, but he made spectacular plays out of easy ones quite often.

javal_lon likes this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I used to love Gerald Young bro... One of the few, if I met him I would be ecstatic..

10. bobrek

If only he and Yelding could have gotten on base more and not gotten thrown out stealing so much. The original "Ys Guys"

javal_lon likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

just based on his history and its not just me

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I’m with ya. We’ve all seen him suck so much that 8 out of 8 stuff just doesn’t soothe enough. He shat all over himself in the playoffs and had a few terrible outings already this year. His ERA is dropping but even after his current streak it’s still too high.

He’s the king of barely getting the save and making everyone sweat. Came in and immediately gave up 2 hits last night. His composure and poise are the big issue. He seems unstable. He seems bothered by high leverage situations. He is getting the job done at this moment. Jury still out and will be until we dont have to bench him in the freaking playoffs.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Damn Eric Yelding... Another Astros legend in my eyes... Bobrek, I'll never say another bad thing to u... You alright with me sir... Salute!

raining threes likes this.
  14. bobrek

Since the beginning of 2017, he is now 42-46 in save situations in the regular season. That is a better save percentage than every single reliever in the American League over that time period.

He was clearly suspect in the post season, but no AL closer has performed his primary function (getting saves) this season and last better than Ken Giles.

15. bobrek

Hmmmmm....I'll take it. :)

And you'll probably be really impressed with this piece of history I recently acquired:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.27.21 AM.jpg

marks0223, eric.81 and Uprising like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Yet I still don't trust him.

Gun-shy from last postseason, I guess.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Uhh.. to call his playoffs "suspect" is being kind. He was pure dumpster juice.

11.74 ERA 2.217 WHIP

He had ONE out of SEVEN appearances where he didn't give up a run. He gave up 2 or more runs 3 times.

Until he is standing on the mound after closing out a World Series and dominating in the entire playoffs I will never feel comfortable with him against a good team.

everyday eddie and Hank McDowell like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or AstroTurf.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, until he’s at a HOF level in the post-season consistently... the likes of which only one closer in the modern era (Rivera) has truly showcased (with enough sample size), he’s trash? (And that includes that said closer blowing the 2001 World Series).

Giles is what he is. A still young pitcher with a live arm who clearly has the occasional mechanical issue combined with the occasional mental issue. We thought there was something to the not using him back to back games, and simply sticking with save situations.

At the very least, he’s not mentally fried. He has become usable again. The Astros won’t tender him this off-season if he can’t secure the closer role for good.

20. bobrek

So that means the season, in his 8 saves, 6 of which have come against teams with winning records and the other 2 against the Indians, a team that will probably win their division, you have yet to trust him. In those 8 saves, he has given up 4 hits and 0 walks.

So you're saying he could be perfect this season, perfect in the playoffs, but if he is on the mound in game 7, with a 3 run lead in the 9th inning, you still won't trust him until he gets the save?

#340 bobrek, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018