1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear you but it’s like a GOP primary dude saying he would eradicate Obamacare and reverse Roe v Wade. Not really.

yes, if it got anywhere close to reality, concern would be warranted... or... Warrented.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

Maybe. I don’t think its quite that outlandish. It concerns me a little more then it does you. That’s ok.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They cant do that via executive order .... "Canceling Debt" without the owner of that debt being compensated just wouldn't pass constitutional muster.

The only way it works is for Congress to appropriate funds to compensate debt holders and I just cant see that happening.

This is just one of those empty campaign promises trying to buy votes with funny money.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

Maybe. Theres a theory floating around the secretary of education can dismiss the federal student loans. In a Bernie or Warren administration obviously that will be someone willing to do that.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Federal student loans I could see .... but privately held debt ? That's a whole nother can of worms.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

this is the thing I get hung up on too. I need to check the % of student debt public/private.

7. HTM

HTM Member

Privates pretty small. On my phone and can’t/won’t look right now but I think it’s something like 300 billion out of 1.7 trillion.

*Looked it up $125 billion

Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Honestly , I wouldn't be against "free college" or government heavily subsidized college .... but I'd want some strict qualifications to get and keep that place in the classroom. Much like "euro nations" .... where kids are guided by aptitude from relatively early ages.

There has to be some "earn it" there .... If you are gonna screw off , you don't belong there to begin with.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and jcf like this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

There would be a lot of problems associated with a system that limited college access to only the highest achievers. All the advantages of wealth would really limit the poors ability compete and get an education. There would be racial components and tensions. It would be massively problematic/controversial.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I didn't mean "the highest achievers" .... 2-5% of the class type stuff. Yes , that would cause a ruckus ....

Top half-ish and direct people towards degrees for which they have an aptitude .... Really below that , it seems pointless to pay for continuing education , if they really wanted it , reaching the top half of one's class isn't so terribly difficult.

College just isn't for everyone nor is it a prerequisite for success.

Where I would expect the standards to be quite high is in keeping that seat in the classroom ... Just getting there isn't the end of the line. Its the beginning ....

I don't base anything on race and almost never consider it - much like this instance , it just doesn't enter my mind .... Maybe sometimes I should ? IDK .... I hate the idea of division over something so cosmetic when it doesn't define a person's character , ethics , morals .....

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Judoka I believe in redemption. Don't lose hope we can have a decent society with the benefits many other societies have for the vast majority.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. glynch

Socially liberal fiscally conservative has what has brought us Trump.

Societies such the Scandinavians are fiscally responsible and tend to not run higher deficits than America. When fiscal conservatism conflated as austerity and lack of government services and everyone for himself leads to less social tolerance.

The contented and fairly comfortable who mostly have their needs met by present day capitalist America.-- who can pay for healthcare, childcare, education through college, a secure retirement, handle a $500 or even a couple thousand dollar car repair, take a vacation or two etc. tend to be relatively tolerant. At the top you find that folks at Goldman or Google etc. could care less the race, sexual orientation or gender of their employees as long as they make them money or help them appeal to folks down the line who value tolerance or diversity.

History has shown those who don't have these type of needs met tend to be less tolerant, more prone to folks like Trump, Hitler, David Duke who appeal to those who are hurting by scapegoating other groups for their problems. It is no coincidence that the extreme poverty of Germany after its defeat in WW I contributed to the rise of Hitler and is one reason why the allies took a less punitive approach after defeating Germany in WW II. Another example is in the three years of Trump we see more anti-semitism, as measured by death and assaults on Jews, than in the rest of the 20th Century America.

13. glynch

So you really think bailing out the banks would be more popular than bailing out folks with unpayable medical debt and student loans?

14. glynch

IIRC correctIy I heard on a podcast from a high up lawyer in the Obama Adminstration tha twell over 80% of all student debt is backed by the Feds one way or the other.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's not a stupid question, is there a means test for her loan forgive policy?

There are people who have paid off loans who don't have great jobs and did not save well why can't they be reimbursed?

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Another good question.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude you are on one.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is fine to question the policy, but asking in the manner that the question was phrased in was stupid. It implies that carelessness is the only reason others haven't paid off their loans.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just make colleges an extension of public schools, problem solved. Warren made over 400,000 dollars in a 2 yr span at Harvard so I don’t think she’s honest about free education. How about reduced costs of education and if you can’t afford a particular college then you go somewhere else?

20. HTM

HTM Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/warren-responds-angry-dad-confronts-021748052.html

When asked if she was "saying tough luck" to those people, she said "No," but went into a story about how she was given a shot to go to college even though her family "had no money."

So, yea, she's going to say tough luck to all those people. That's not going to sit right with many Americans who will be massively poorer over the course of their lifetimes because they prioritized paying their loans.

If you're a 20 something who paid $60,000.00 in student loans in their 20's instead of investing it for retirement and got 6% you will be $500,000.00 poorer by the time you retire then someone who has comparable loans forgiven or who never has to take any loans.

To offer 0 to those people and say, "sucks to suck" is not going to sit well.