1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cord cutters thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I got sick of it and recorded.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Are you using the provided gateway box by Att? If so change it out. It's pretty crappy and drops connectivity a lot.

3. body slam

body slam Member

what kind of antenna did you have and where was it located?

I have a digital flat antenna. I have to have it very close to a window to get good reception.

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It was similar to that. I tried it in a few different spots around the house but the closest it ever was to the window was about 10 feet away. It even had a cheesy “booster” attachment I tried. I finally had enough and snapped it over my knee. Could’ve also had something to do with the way the Texans were playing that day.

I got ok reception but I was only using it for Texans games and that was the time it’d always decide to suck. I much prefer streaming games. I can always find quality streams with very little to no buffering at all.

body slam likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Has anybody actually got this FuboTV? Is it reliable?

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I read some of this thread but maybe just better to ask....

So what is the current pros/cons on cord cutting?? My main reason for doing it would be because we don't watch a ton of traditional tv anymore and already subscribe to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime ... EXCEPT sports, though I'm in Austin so get the Rockets already through NBA packages. So what are the options? Things like HuluTV or youtubeTV or whatever else is out there any good? What about football days (mainly pro, but college, too)?

Not even sure where to start thinking about it. In an ideal world, would do this today if I could still basically just get all sports channels...

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think I got an official cut date.
    When my Contract is out . . .I'm out.
    I been lazy and trying to negotiate with them etc .. . but now. . . funk this

Rocket River

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

For NFL, I'm just going to do an OTA antenna. I have one, but haven't set it up yet. Hopefully it'll work, but we don't watch a lot of TV these days. We're mainly playing with the kids, or out doing things.

Amazon really has some good content for the kids too. Between them and netflix, I figure we'll be good for awhile.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have question for somebody with Hulu Live TV:

Are you able to stream Longhorn Network content over an ESPN app (like what you’d find on a Roku) even though Hulu Live TV doesn’t offer LHN as a standalone channel? AFAIK, PS Vue is the only service that offers LHN, but I’ve heard that the ESPN app trick works through Hulu.

My mom is looking to resubscribe to a streaming service for college football season, but Vue has gone up $10 in price since she last had it, so I’m wondering if this Hulu trick might work. Thanks in advance!

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hulu Live has ESPN , FS1, etc and all local channels, so you'd have pro football covered most likely. But if CBS/Fox is all your'e looking for, an antenna is like $20 and will do the trick.

However this could all be changing in the next couple years. I imagine Disney may want to retain ESPN in their upcoming streaming platform, but I'm not sure how all that works.

11. iball

iball Contributing Member

Yes, I've been using it since February and no major issues for me. I find it reliable. I watch primarily through the app on an Apple TV (hardwired) and I have AT&T gigabit internet. I also watch from time to time on the iPad or iPhone when I'm not home or out-of-state without any problems.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Thanks, I appreciate it! That’s good to hear. Might help me pull the trigger so I can watch Rockets/Astros.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Looks like Disney is doing a Hulu/Disney/ESPN for $12.99. Pretty great deal considering I think I'm already paying close to that for their no ads version.. though apparently this bundle of $12.99 is for the ad version, which is not cool...

In any case, back to cord cutting. So I've done research now, and it looks like Hulu and Youtube TV seem to offer the most at similar price points. Sling is much cheaper but you don't get as much.

As I live in a house with 6 people, things like being able to watch on as many screens as possible at once, and high "cloud DVR" will probably prove to be important. The catch I guess is the $50 price tag, but according to what I'm reading, they've all inched up in price. See: https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-t...ement-but-its-not-for-budget-hunters-anymore/

Youtube gets you the most screens watching simultaneously and the most cloud DVR I believe.

Right now I pay way too much for screen based entertainment, lol. I use Dish, Netflix, Hulu, Prime. Now Prime is something we'd have either way, so not sure its ever fair to bundle it into what I'm spending. We also give $5 a month to PBS - this is something we did before and just like doing, but it also gets us access to the PBS app, and there is some decent content on there - like a crap-ton of seasons of Nova. And I also spend $5 a month on something called Britbox, lol, but that is 95% used by my mother-in-law and I am happy to do that to keep her happy - plus there is plenty of quid pro quo there, she'd happily reimburse me the $60 a year if I asked for it, but I don't mind. Oh... and I sign up for the NBA get everything plan every year.

I think I'm paying like $115 a month on Dish. Not sure, it's creeped up that's for sure. I mean I pay an extra $9+ bucks a month for a receiver in a room that I use maybe an hour a week, and just haven't removed. So $50 to Youtube TV would save me close to $70 a month, so I'm probably going to pull the trigger here.

If anyone has any Youtube TV reviews, much appreciated!

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We have YouTube TV. Quality is good. "DVR" feature works well.

JayZ750 likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I only get cable during the NBA playoffs, but YouTube TV is my go-to. It's reliable. I previously had DTV Now and it sucked.

FranchiseBlade and JayZ750 like this.
  16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I've finally had enough of my rising cable costs, from 170 to now 208 and eventually probably 230 or so when all my discounts expire. And frankly, I'm tired of negotiating for better rates. I figure we can do Fubo plus the Disney/ESPN/Hulu package plus maybe CBS All Access and still save around 50 or more.

And I've been trying Fubo this week and haven't had any issues. The quality is good and we get most of the channels we want. No ESPN and Disney for the kids, but Disney+ will take care of that. The interface isn't as intuitive as Xfinity, but that's a minor complaint. Also because I'm using the tv App, the sound quality isn't as good. But I figure I can get Roku and run HDMI from that to my receiver to solve the problem.

And reading my contract, it looks like I can drop cable but not internet, and not have to pay early termination fees. That'd be great, I wouldn't have to wait till next Summer.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry I'm sure its somewhere on here but wtf do you guys do for Rox/Stros/ and Texans? I'm here in Houston. That's the only thing keeping me an xfinity customer.

Blatz likes this.
  18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Texans is free on antenna. Fubotv looks to be your only legit way for rockets and Astros

19. droxford

droxford Member

See my post in this thread. ... and my follow-up message.

20. Fantasma Negro

Switched from DirecTV to fubotv so I can have Astros and Rox without worrying about stream issues. The Disney void was too vast so I begged my homegirl for her sling login for espn. Bought chromecast for all my tvs but I'm probably going to have to get an antenna because I don't get abc13 but I'm saving like 160 a month

J Sizzle likes this.