1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cord cutters thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Get a VPN for safety reasons. I got IPVanish on one of their holiday deals. $4 a month only. Up to 8 devices. Fast and reliable connections.

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

FuboTV is the only streaming (legal) provider that carries AT&T Sportsnet Southwest but they don't carry any Disney owned channels which includes ESPN. There are offers from AMEX, Bank of America, Chase and possibly other credit cards that give $15 OFF for first 3 months.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I did some research myself and agree, it seems FuboTV is the only AT&T carrier as well as great for soccer channels. I actually don't mind missing out ABC/ESPN family of channels. I don't prefer it but if I was going to lose something that would be it. Thanks.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This article is a little misleading. The $120 for cable and internet isn't that bad. People cut the cord when it gets closer to the $180 that is in the real life example. Also, they act as if only cordcutters watch netflix hbo and have amazon. When i cut the cord, i already had all 3. The only one i added was the occasional hulu. Although, for the record. I have kept directv for the last couple years since the bundle internet + free hbo + rockets games makes my deal better than the other cable streaming alternatives

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well....I finally did it. Got rid of Uverse and am now cordless. Feels good

I just got HuluTV, which has gone well so far, no complaints. But my big thing is the lack of Astros games now. I'm having withdrawels, and that'll only get worse when the Rockets come back.

My question for any of you...which digital antenna do y'all go with for Astros/Rockets? How reliable is it?

Apologies for my ignorance on all this lmao

mikol13 likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

mlbstreams on reddit. nbastreams on reddit was just recently banned, so I dont know how reliable reddit is, going forward. I use it as Im blacked out in my area. Good, quality streams all the time.

I have a roku tv in a room without a coax cable and found out pluto tv has "live tv" with a bunch of replayed stuff but is pretty efficient for mindless tv.

Tubi tv has a pretty good inventory of movies and shows for free with pretty minimal ads.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yea redditNBA going down was brutal. I want one of these antennas but I've had friends say they struggle to find the Rockets/Astros channel on them. Anybody have success with that?

8. VanityHalfBlack

Any good iptv service? I had gearstv and that was dope.

9. MystikArkitect

Soccerstreams went first. NBAstreams too? If they offer NBA games like HBO Go then I’ll subscribe. I have HBO Go, YouTube and Amazon. No need for anything else for me.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I actually ended up getting cable for the first time. Spectrum was offering TV + 400mbps for $90/month. I was paying that much for AT&T Gigabit but it rarely exceeded 500mbps, so I figured why not. I'm happy to not have to stream from laggy feeds now.

I still have the same streaming services of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I'd drop Hulu but I only pay $1/month for it so I'm keeping it for now.

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I snapped and smashed my antenna into pieces because it was pissing me off so much haha. I live in the heights so I thought I’d have no problems getting reception but I was wrong.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yea I’m Uptown area. Not sure if that’s any better or worse.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You aren't going to be able to reliably get the Astros or the Rockets without tv service at this time.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I figured, but much appreciated for the confirmation.

Decent chance I switch to this FuboTV, though it’s a shame they don’t carry any of the ESPN channels. There’s so many options, but none of the streaming platforms are juuuuust right when it comes to sports.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I finally cut the cord. Only have netflix, prime, and noggin (for the kids) now. Pretty OK with it. We don't watch much TV with the kids (they won't do anything else if we did), so we find this to be OK for now. We'll probably definitely get the disney streaming thing, so we'll definitely have a ton of content.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah it's the live sports problem that has kept my cord plugged in. :(

J Sizzle likes this.
  17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Does YouTubeTV not carry the local Astros and Rockets channels? I have it up here in NYC and it's great, it just doesn't have MSG (but obviously I don't care about watching the Knicks, lol).

18. koochingchang

koochingchang Member

What are good internet only deals/provider in the Houston area? I have ATT Uverse gigabit and find it pretty laggy and inconsistent.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Comcast....... Ill show myself out

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's what I left AT&T for...but mostly because they are no where near getting fiber to The Woodlands area. I have no problems with it.

I am debating my options with streaming now. I just want 1 place to get the channels I want. I'm not sure what the deal is with Viacom that they're on so few services (gotta have my Comedy Central). I have to mix and match to get what I want (currently using PSVue & Philo). I still have AT&T wireless and get the WatchTV app for free...but it's not available on Roku (my main living room tv). I also had to add the unlimited option to my Xfinity internet because the streaming was getting us to the data cap by the 20th of each month. So, now I'm paying a little more than I was for DirecTv. I don't have to worry about a light drizzle knocking out my service but it is a bit more of a pain, too.