1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. plates300

plates300 Member

absolutely have to find a way to manufacture runs. The home run isn't always going to be there, so stop trying to hit every ball out of the park. I feel like the offense is letting the other team's pitcher off the hook. They're swinging at pitches that seem out of character and a lot of chasing pitches. Stop trying to press the issue. Although tonight's outcome wasn't unexpected - this was NY's game 7. No time to dwell, game on tomorrow night so the bats better be ready to deliver.

Nick_713 and rusHour like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They said this same thing about the Rays going into game 5, and they actually won two games before that.

I feel like the Astros still have the momentum since they are going home, if this were the Stros going to NY for two games I'd agree...

People really think the Astros are just going to roll over because of momentum or pressure, that doesn't affect championship teams. It may be affecting Alvarez and some of the guys that haven't proved it before, but guys like Tuve and Springer and Bregman and Correa, I have faith they will come up when we really need it, just like they always have.

As I said during the Rays series, championship heart is a real thing. If the Yankees are going to win this series they are going to grind and earn it.

HP3 and YOLO like this.
  4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yea. It is time some players with MVP aspirations step up. Would also love to see Yordan tear the cover off one. Feels like if he did and the crowd erupts he would loosen up and become the weapon he was. Given how bad we have batted being up 3-2 is pretty shocking

5. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Just like 2017 and they lost

6. PhiSlammaJamma

If Hinch starts Peacock, it's Russian roulette to me. Not only hasn't he pitched, he's historically been terrible in the playoffs. If Hinch starts Urquidy, it's still a little roulette since he's a rookie, but he has no data to suggest it would go badly like he does with Peacock. And this is part of why he sounds so perturbed if you ask me. He doesn't have a good solution for what happened tonight for tomorrow. He has to hope he get's a Morton like performance from someone...or the bats need to win one. I for one think Urquidy can do it. And the bats while asleep, are capable of tearing it up.

#6926 PhiSlammaJamma, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    whiskeyred likes this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Urquidy has been the 4th starter for how many games again? Verlander has made his next start on 4 days of rest the entire season and pretty much the past 13 years. You wouldn’t skip his start for Urquidy in the regular season, why would you do it now. You try to win the game directly in front of you. It was 100% the right move and I can’t begin to understand all the people questioning it.

Urquidy now gets the opportunity in a friendlier environment.

plates300 and YOLO like this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

We got this. Time to rid the playoffs of the scum that is Yankees fans. MMP needs to be nothing short of rocking. The building needs to shake. Yankees fans cannot feel welcome. Our bats will get going. Stros in 6. Lets goooooooooooo

whiskeyred, punkoholic and phasors28 like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

Verlander is the sleep guru. In July he told Bregman and the team they needed more sleep. 10 hours worth. Bregman followed through and saw the results. Game ended early tonight. Get some sleep tonight, and we'll be back tomorrow.

punkoholic likes this.
  10. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

Feels like a Homerun or bust for either team to win the series,

11. Buck Turgidson

Yes, of course...and?

12. jtexan

jtexan Member

You can talk about lack of hitting all you want, but if we lose this series it's because of Hinch's stupid decision not to throw JV and Cole back to back at home. I understand trying to get the series over with as soon as possible, but you gotta be smart enough to realize the odds of those two guys losing consecutive games at home.

Surfguy likes this.
  13. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Ludicrous.

14. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

1. Yordan
    2. Yuli

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Pitching JV tonight means that he's lined up to start game 2 on regular rest at home of the World Series if the Astros win. Cole is lined up to pitch either game 7 of the ALCS or game 1 of the World Series. Having Greinke pitch game 3 at Washington, assuming the Astros win tomorrow, also brings his bat to the NL park.

16. vonbock

vonbock Member

That will be an endless debate whether or not to have used JV tonight. I still think the bigger fault is Hinch leaving Alvarez in every game.

17. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

If you would have saved JV for home and he won great. If he lost the. You could not mathematically get two full rest starts from both JV and Cole in the World Series. By pitching JV tonight you gave yourself a legit chance to end it and also insured that however you get to the World Series you will have both JV and Cole for 2 games each on full rest

dannah likes this.
  18. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Yuli can strike out every at bat.. that bomb he hit in game 5 on the WS is enough for me.

19. Major

Major Member

No there won't. Every manager in baseball would do the same thing because it was the smart, rational thing to do. You pitch your best pitchers as soon as you have the best opportunity to do so - no one ever sits on pitchers on full rest because they are scared of a future game. The only people who wouldn't have started JV today, frankly, are dumbass fans.

YOLO and Nook like this.
  20. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

I think JV tonight was the right decision because if we ended it tonight our pitchers would have been fully rested for the WS.