1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's stuff like this that keeps me out of the game threads during games in the playoffs. During these super important games, who wants to read this negative, vulgar stuff? The game thread is usually a cool way to follow the game but when these guys show up it just ruins the experience.

Nick_713, arkoe and whiskeyred like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

their bullpen has also been used much more than hou's. with that I'd prefer for them to continue pitching with as less rest as possible

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Never said there is anything wrong with it or that it isn't new. The Astros do a lot of things to get an advantage off the field, and I don't expect them to be honest about them. Frankly, I suspect the Astros (especially Bregman) play it up during the game to mess with the other team sometimes. I found Bregman's comments funny considering how often he acts like he knows something on the field.

4. dannah

dannah Member

AND bad weather

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

But Tanaka is probably the better of two in dealing with pressure. How many times has Urquidy faced a similar situation as this? That said, he (Urquidy) is our best option in a semi-bullpen type game. Innings got to come from somewhere.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  6. CinematicFusion

I agree with that.
    I was off. We would do a bullpen game today if there isn't a rain out. Grenike wouldn't pitch today right?
    He pitches game 4 if there is a rain out.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, Tanaka has one of the lowest post-season ERAs of all time with 5 or more games pitched so...whatever the case, a good thing they aren't saving him for a possible game 7 then.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

no he wouldn't. he'd be on short rest. game 4 is on normal rest tomorrow if he pitches.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You go with your best available pitchers who are rested. So that means Greinke in Game 4 and Verlander in Game 5. I know the prospect of a bullpen Game 6 if we're down 3-2 is scary, but you burn that bridge when you get to it. It would be foolish of Hinch to not give his team the best shot of winning these next two games. Especially with the Nationals sitting at home resting up for nearly a week.

Plowman and jim1961 like this.
  10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How's the weather lookin

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. CinematicFusion

It's a great discussion. My gut says the best way to win this series is Verlander game 6, Cole game 7. At some point we have to use the bullpen, and we don't want Cole to pitch on short rest.

Greinke game 4, Bullpen Game 5. Get it back to Houston after that plane ride and have those tired Yankee hitters go against a rested Verlander. Fly Verlander home early. Maximize that HFA we earned.

Now.... if Grenike wins his game....go for the kill and Start Verlander game 5. Game 6 won't be an elimination game for us and Cole will be ready for game 7 on full rest.

Grenike...make this discussion easier on all of us and win game 4!

marks0223 likes this.
  13. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

More like

[​IMG]

Plowman and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. Handles

Handles Member

For games 4 and 5 I’d go with:

Urquidy / James ready for long relief
    Greinke

You can swap the order for a rainout as long as AJ is giving them plenty heads up to mentally prepare. It makes sense to me to have Greinke pitch tomorrow no matter what, so you’re not mentally jerking him around. They could have told him yesterday that he’s a go for Thursday, regardless whether it’s game 4 or 5.

I wouldn’t use my aces until games 6 and 7. Need those guys for possible elimination games. And if we close out before they pitch all the better - they’ll be rested for next series.

mikol13, moonsh0t and Houstunna like this.
  15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I would start Grenike Game 4 (if rain out), bullpen day on game 5, Verlander/Cole for Game 6/7.

Handles likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. Nero

Nero Member

This is my thinking exactly. If today's game is rained out, then it all depends on whether or not the Astros win this upcoming game with Greinke. Greinke has to bust through and have a good game at some point, this would be the ideal spot for it.

If Greinke wins, then yes, you go for it with Verlander in NY, still leaving Cole as the starter in game 6 with us up 3-2, should Verlander trip up.

BUT. If Greinke loses, leaving the series 2-2, then that becomes a whole other ball of yarn.

The nightmare scenario would be for Greinke to lose and then Verlander to be tossed in for the last game in NY, and he loses as well.

That leaves us heading to Houston with Cole starting game 6 to tie it up 3-3, and then we are left with a bullpen game in the deciding game 7.

I don't think anybody wants that. So, in my mind, it seems the smarter play, if Greinke loses, to go ahead and do the bullpen game for the final game in NY, then head home with Verlander and Cole ready to go in 6 & 7. We win that series. I just don't know if we can win the series if we are depending on a bullpen game win in game 7, even at home.

Plowman likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

maybe the offense can give Greinke some support this time. Greinke isn't going to give you a typical JV/Cole game. he did what you would usually expect in game 1 but with 0 run support, yeah that's likely going to be an L every time

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They won't pitch Cole on short rest in game 6... unless they literally are out of all other options.

He's also never pitched on short rest before.

The more I think about it, the more I think Hinch just leaves it as is, regardless of rain-out. Bullpen game 4, Greinke game 5, Verlander game 6. The extra rest was always in the works for Verlander, and perhaps he's already tailored his preparation for it. Greinke actually did worse with the longer layoff in the Tampa series.... seems like he needs to have more frequent reps to hone command/consistency of his off-speed stuff for precision/control.

20. conquistador#11

oh yeah?
    [​IMG]