1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 12, 2020.

1. msn

msn Member

Pretty sure there was baseball and football all through the 1930s. They weren't paid millions, but there were sports, and the country needed them. Makes a huge difference.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Could private jets, empty stadiums, and games on TV be on the table? At least to get the revenue going. It would be neat to set up microphones and hear the players during gameplay.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Oh yea no doubt...but hundreds of thousands of people who go to games now won't be able to....and owner won't be reducing ticket prices and concession prices to make it affordable...in many cases they wouldn't be able to anyway with the guaranteed salaries they are going to have to pay out....totally different financial situation in 2020 that they didn't have in the 30's

4. The Beard

I think there is a chance this is how it begins, then the fans are added back later

part of my belief there is Lebron is still talking about how weird it will be, making me think there is at least still conversations of that going on in NBA circles

Astrodome likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I see 1 of 5 scenarios as possible:
    1) Coronavirus runs through US by June such that herd immunity is reached and lots of people are dead.
    2) Social distancing works to flatten curve, but still reach herd immunity/summer temperatures slow virus by end of June. A lot of people dead, but significantly less than option 1.
    3) People get pissed at being at home and US goes back to work by end of June and screw the consequences. On the number of people dead, screw it, let's have a beer.
    4) Social distancing slows down cases, but still plenty of new cases after June and people still stay at home.
    5) Other (smallest possibility)

I'm guessing the top 3 scenarios are the likeliest to happen. My biggest worry is that immunity gained by having Covid doesn't last long, and we have a flare up after the summer.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm really not sure what you're trying to start up here... I don't think having a discussion about the unlikelihood of a season happening, combined with the possibility of losing free agents is me "trying to be a jerk"...

I certainly don't think you needed to respond with these owner tangents... didn't really address the topic and now has devolved into whatever this is.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The nation will eventually get a chance to get over this and get back to a sense of normalcy... and in the end, pro sports can wait. While it is a great distraction and entertainment to help people take their mind off things... like you just mentioned, people are going to have other priorities that take precedence.

This whole dilemma has hopefully helped put a lot of things in perspective.

I expect the first sport, and only season, to be played within this calendar year will be an abbreviated NFL schedule.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I fully expect the baseball season to start in mid-late May. I suspect the number of cases will have cooled off in late April and the country will start to get back into motion in May. Camp closed to the public, and then actual public games in June.

Knowing this country, I will be shocked if we are willing to endure the economic pain that we are gonna start to see. Hopefully we are better prepared to ride this out once the initial surge is stopped.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My comment that lead to the inane banter was about what I think the owner expects based on the the reporting of MLB/MLBPA negotiations. I kept bringing it back to what the owners think, because that was what my comment was about.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The key will be if this countries distribution stays regional.

Some places have the combination of less density and better distancing going for them right now. Obviously hyper dense places like Chicago and NYC are being hit the hardest.

If everything ends up being similar everywhere, it will be easier to predict the timetable. On the flip side, if certain areas can stay calmer than others, it would be prudent to keep those measures in place till the hardest hit areas can be a little more recovered.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thanks...

In the end, I believe they conceded more to allow for the reduced lump sum advance.

12. The Beard

Not to extend the conversation cause it does not good. But I certainly don't know why you would expect this to last over twice as long as it did in China

13. The Beard

I fully agree with this, and from the little information you hear coming out of MLB that's pretty much what they are thinking

I think camp and "spring" games will be closed to public, but opening day around the beginning of June will be with fans as usual.

I also don't think some people realize the damage that can be done by shutting down the economy, it's not just that people become "poor", there are serious health consequences that come with it also. I can't see any way they keep the nation shut down into August/September

I can't wait to hear the boos

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

China is not a good resource to estimate results in the US as they have control over their news and likely are much more restrictive on quarantines than the US. I'm not sure there is a good barameter yet from a Western Country.

15. msn

msn Member

What disqualifies/separates Italy?

16. The Beard

My wife works for a small pc board company owned by a Chinese man. He usually spends half the year in China and half the year here, he went back to China in late December and obviously hasn't been able to come back. she runs the office here so they talk several times each week on the phone. He isn't in Wuhan and i'm sure it's different there, but where he is they were restricted from going to work, market and so forth for about 2 months. His manufacturing facility over there was shut down for a few weeks then allowed to open back up with some restrictions. By the beginning of March they were back to full operations.

I'm going much more on her talking to him and the actual story, than anything I hear on the news. I don't even believe what I hear on the news about the United States, much less China

mikol13 likes this.
  17. The Beard

Very hard to make any comparisons to Italy, although most media outlets want to

Italy has the 5th oldest population in the world. With elderly people more likely to catch it and pass from it because of their weaker immune system, this is playing a huge role in what we are seeing in Italy

Italy has a HUGE influx of Chinese, both immigrant workers and vacationers. There are direct flights daily from Wuhon to Italy (well not right now but). So the ties to not just China, but where this broke out, are much stronger than they are here in the states

With Italy being one of the first places outside of China to see this outbreak, the panic that happened there was worse than other nations. This caused many people who did not need to go to hospitals to go anyway. Their medical system was overwhelmed by that before the actual Coronavirus numbers exploded. This not just made the possibility of treatment worse, it also put many infected people in the same place very quickly. The explosion of their numbers over a few week period was mainly reflected by the number able to be tested, because the spread happened very quickly there, and especially at the hospitals

Italy is very densely populated. Only Nigeria, Germany, Vietnam, Pakistan, Japan, Italy and Bangladesh are more densely populated among nations with their overall population. The region where the outbreak is the worst is very densely populated

Italy has socialized medicine, and I don't want to turn this into a political argument cause that does no good to anyone, but one thing we do know about socialized medicine is there are more people at the medical facilities on a daily basis. So they began this breakout with a larger percentage of hospital space already taken

Comparing a nation like ours to a nation like Italy just doesn't work when it comes to things like this. Now, If New York were it's own nation, then I could see some of the comparisons working because of population density, but even that would be a stretch

msn likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Italy will likely set the minimum time of mass infection. Though, Italy likely sets a new death toll today. So, even them, we likely don't have half the bell curve, yet.

I'm skeptical of positive test counts as being representative of extent as that data is very dependent on the number of tests.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That's a mighty big asterisk.