1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 7, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2015 called...they want their rule back.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's 2:13 pm on Monday, Sept 10, 2018, and Altuve was still safe.

mikol13 likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Bad calls happen — it’s not an offense against God and Nature for the on-field ump to get that wrong given how fast it played out — but replay is supposed to fix them. That no one could see that Altuve was in ahead of that tag in nearly four minutes when anyone with an internet connection and access to MLB.com could see it in, like, 20 seconds, is a problem.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/09/10/replay-umps-blow-key-call-in-astros-red-sox-game/

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is the most difficult part to understand. You can literally freeze to show definitive proof.

5. Buck Turgidson

It's almost like they're slaves to the call on the field at times, unless there is just ridiculously obvious proof (like on Benintendi at 1B, though Altuve at HP was just slightly less so) they are really reluctant to go against the field crew.

That they don't explain the review process and decision, ala the NFL (at least tell the broadcast crews so they can explain it to viewers), is also particularly annoying.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Anything can happen in short (and shorter) playoff series, of course - BUT...

Cleveland is 39-41 against non AL Central teams (the absolute worst division in baseball) this year; the Astros should - SHOULD - be able to quickly dispense of them in much the same manner they did the Red Sox last year.

As for Boston, they have four great players. The Astros starting pitching is better; the Astros bullpen is better; and fully healthy, I think the Astros offense is better, too. I essentially fear two of their hitters, Sale and Kimbrel. That's it. I would feel very confident in an Astros-Red Sox rematch. Astros are 11-7 against them the past two years (including postseason).

everyday eddie and mikol13 like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Price has the best ERA in baseball the AL since the ASB, just sayin'.

8. Hey Now!

Yeah, except... a) I would've termed last night's replay "ridiculously obvious proof"; b) I would not have termed the overturned call in Oakland as "ridiculously obvious proof".

marks0223 likes this.
  9. bobrek

You have irrational fears.

10. Hey Now!

They'll wear him down, as they did Friday, and get into Boston's sub par bullpen. I stand by it: for a team that might win 110 games - from a pretty good division, no less - I don't fear them at all.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

And was damn good in this series against the Astros.

As far as the tag on Altuve goes, something that I noticed while watching the broadcast. Unless I saw wrong, the ump never looked at Altuve’s hand, he was totally focused on the tag. Never even truly saw the whole play.

12. TheresTheDagger

The Boston way.

13. BonziWellsGOAT

Lol well the argument wasnt would you rather have Betts because anybody would. Where tf did those shifting goalposts even come from lmao

14. bobrek

No problem at all with the home plate umpire's call of out. He looked out in real time.

15. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I guess you are as blind as the umpire. In addition to missing the play at the plate while it was right in front of him he was also calling strikes on balls an inch or two off the plate all day long. Instant replay is supposed to correct screwups by umps. In this case it is clear that they failed.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Official twitter for MLB replay still hasn’t posted this video.

They normally post every one almost instantly.

17. bobrek

In real time, there was nothing wrong with the INITIAL out call. It was a bang bang play. The replay clearly show him safe, but even that had to have a blown up screen shot or super slo mo to show it.

Umpires miss calls. That was an incredibly close play. Neither he nor I are "blind".

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

While the ump behind home was terrible all game the notion that he absolutely without a doubt should’ve gotten that call right in real time is ridiculous. Altuve literally beat the tag by a few millimeters. Don’t be absurd.

19. Buck Turgidson

I mentioned it earlier, but for a real example of a "WTF were you watching, that play was right in front of you", try Benentendi safe by 2 feet at first and getting called out.

20. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

This ump had it right in front of him and screwed up. If you watch the replays there is no excuse for the ump to miss the call. Instant replay is supposed to correct screw ups. Esp when they are this obvious and in a pennant run situation. We still may have lost the game and the ump also screwed Rondon on a perfectly thrown strike 3 that was not called that would have ended the 9th still even. I wonder if this umps last name was Brothers?