1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Fulmer still fairly cheap, under team control for another four years I believe. But the Tigers aren't shopping him (yet). I'm guessing that the Yankees would have to send 3 of their top prospects to entice the Tigers, so it would be a decent hit to their farm system.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros will need to decide whether to either maximize the number of regular season starts for Verlander and Keuchel or maximize the health of those two in the post season.

The Dodgers and the Astros to a certain extent played games with their starting rotation and IR last season. I suspect more of the same this upcoming season.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Basically this. I expect Astros and a few other teams are going to try to maintain the appearance of a 5-man rotation while doing tricks with options and the DL to give guys rest.

No Worries likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. HTM

HTM Member

Boras represents friggin everybody these days.

Bye Marwin.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Scott Boras announces Marwin will be seeking 6-year, 250 million dollar deal after 2018. However, Marwin will be willing to sign a 6-year extension now for only $225 MM now.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

:confused:o_O:rolleyes::oops::D

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I hope Marwin plays next year, like he is worth a six year $200+ million contract.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I get the sense people are upset that the underpaid players want to get paid the market rate.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Your market value isn't determined by one season.

11. Nook

Nook Member

It is inevitable that some fans will be upset.

Then again it is unrealistic to think that the Astros will be able to keep their core together too.

Marvin and Dallas are likely gone, because someone will offer them more money that the Astros will.

Same will happen with Altuve, Springer and Correa. The Astros will hopefully keep 2 of the 3 but it will require paying the market rate.

It is part of why it is so appealing to try and win now and over the next few years. Asking the farm system and shrewd moves from the GM to replace the production of who we will lose long term is very hard to do.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Marwin has been a great player for multiple seasons. He’ll probably get 40-50 mil on the FA market

13. HTM

HTM Member

Nope. Upset more and more players are becoming represented by the strongest player advocate who will be extremely tough on the organization. The organization holds my loyalty and I wants what is best for the organization. Getting players on club friendly deals is what I want. Boras makes that hard for the club to accomplish.

14. conquistador#11

days of player friendly deals past arbi are long gone. think about it this way altuve has given 4 years of friendliness with one more to go.

15. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I don't know if you can say he's been great for multiple seasons. Before 2017 he never had a single season with an OPS higher than .759

jim1961 likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If you are getting that from me, that is not the case. I don't have hard feelings when guys leave for more money. It is what it is. Now when they come back and suck, I have hard feelings.

Boras makes outlandish claims about what a client of his is worth. More often than should be the case, he actually gets it for his client (though sometimes needing to defer a lot of money). Over the last 4 years, Hosmer hasn't been worth that much more than Marwin. Marwin has generated more WAR per plate appearance over the last season, the last two seasons, last three seasons, and the last 4 seasons. Marwin is not close to being worth $250 MM, but Hosmer isn't close to being worth $200 MM either. Not sure if Boras can work his magic for Hosmer.

If they are upset about being underpaid, it is the MLBPA that sold them out for the sake of veterans while acting on their "behalf".

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That’s basically the same thing. Your loyalties lie with the organization.

For most of those guys, I say thanks for the memories and I’m glad they’ll get life-changing/family-changing money. Hopefully we keep a couple of the more important ones but I harbor zero ill will to the players for going after money.

One thing I do think is that the modern analytics movement has basically biased fan bases (and front offices) against the non-superstar free agent. As if not generating massive amounts of surplus value means the player is lesser than the pre-arb rookie or max contract superstar.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I thought Marwin signed with Boras months ago.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Eh... I'd pass.