1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The off season stars now. All off season talk goes in this thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

6 very long months until opening day. :(

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Anyone see the clip of Geoff Blum crying in the clubhouse right after the last game?

He was told they wouldn't be picking up his option...said he understood they wanted to go younger...but was crying really hard.

I hate the last game of the season when there's no post-season to look forward to. It's like a funeral to me. :(

4. Buck Turgidson

Class guy, hope he finds a club for next season.

Looks to me that, barring something unforeseen, the offseason will be pretty quiet. OF is set, C/1B/3B is set, top of the rotation is set, back of the bullpen is set.

Who's the last starter? Myers, Wandy, Happ, Norris....

They really could use an upgrade in the middle infield, have no idea what their thoughts on Manzella are.... I like Keppinger, but not sure he's an everyday 2B and it would be nice to have a bit more range there (Wade likes speedy middle infielders, Sanchez & Kepp are definitely not that).

Who's the 4/5th OFers? Heard they want Michaels back, what about Bourgeois & Bogusevic?

Bullpen has a lot of options (L&L, Abad, Lopez, Melancon, Byrdak, Figueroa) but you can always use another arm or 2 there b/c year-to-year performance is so unpredictable....

Crossing my fingers that Bagwell wants to coach full-time.

Missing anything?

5. MadMax

You missed the addition of Dan Uggla. please
    please
    please
    please
    please
    please
    please
    please
    please
    please

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Damn. I like Blum and I wish they'd keep him. He's a great option off the bench and, from what I've heard, a great teammate.

Well, it should be an interesting offseason. I don't think we'll see much in the way of movement unless they find some magical way to rid the team of El Caballo Gordo (is that right?). I don't mind another season of youth if it means building for 2012 and beyond (assuming there is a "beyond 2012").

7. Buck Turgidson

That would be ideal, but who knows what the Marlins will do? They're moving into a new stadium after next year, so they may want to lock him up. He wants 5 years, their 1st offer was for 3. Sounds like he wants to stay in Miami, unfortunately.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/29/1848932/florida-marlins-dan-uggla-likely.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/22/1835813/florida-marlins-decisions-loom.html

There's nothing exciting at all as far as FA middle infielders go.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Hope they keep starting Kepp, at whatever position. He was the 3rd best hitter this year on the club, and the offense is terrible as is.

I'm reasonably happy with the pitching. We don't have a great closer and we lack starting depth, but 1-2-3 in the rotation is very good and the bullpen is deep.

And I know Castro / Wallace are pieces for the future and they will be the opening day starters at their positions, but they were both terrible this year. I hope both show a good deal of progress next season.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/sto...gain-considering-selling-astros#ixzz11PaEaj2U

10. MadMax

At 74 years old...and not really living here in Houston...I could totally see him selling the club this offseason.

I feel like the Astros have been unofficially for sale for quite a while.

11. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Mark Cuban and his endless pockets would be nice, even though he is annoying

12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Any Mark Cuban interest? I can't stand the guy (as a micromanaging owner)...and wouldn't want to see him spitting seeds in the dugout with his AFFL shirt...but I do think he would try beyond all means to field a World Series talent level team.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

In theory, Cuban would be nice...but the thought of it makes me feel unclean. Like we, as fans, would be selling our souls for a shot at going to the World Series. It's not like the mavs are doing anything. They're still 3rd or 4th best in the division and not likely to win a title anytime soon.

14. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I don't think the MLB owners will allow Mark Cuban to own a franchise.

Best offseason move for the Astros if they can somehow find a way to move Lee.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Things I'd like to see this offseason...

Progress of the young guys in the Arizona Fall League and Winter ball.

Signing of minor FAgents that could turn into next years Brett Myers.

What will happen with Wandy Rodriguez, have a gut feeling he will be traded for a middle infielder. We have good depth in the starting rotation and while I like Kepp and Sanchez/Manzella, if you can get a nice starting SS or 2B then go for it.

and

Stros try their HARDEST to move Caballo!!! This crap about him moving to first permanently is fine if you were trying to move him by raising his value but doing it as an option for next season is just HORRIBLE.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

1994-2006 was A LOT of fun, if Cuban gets us back there then where do I sign up for the fool?

Saying that, don't see him going after the Stros unless he wants to stick it to Ryan/Greenberg and MLB. Even then, I find it hard to believe that MLB/Selig/Owners would let it happen.

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think is more likely to be Wandy Rodriguez traded near the trading deadline. This is last year of arbritation I think he will around $7 or 8 million this year. He is going to be a free agent next year. Angel Sanchez impressed me this year but I think he is best suited to be a bench player. But I doubt the Astros are going to find a good shortstop to replace him since they are hard to find. Keppinger had a good year and it could be a chance to sell high because I doubt he can play at this level again. He does a lot of things well like get on base and doesn't strikeout but his defense is average, no power, and speed sucks. 2nd base is becoming a power hitting position with guys like Utley, Uggla, Cano, and Kinsler. I doubt they could move Lee unless they are willing to pay like 60-75% of his salary to move him. I rather see Lee play 1st than left field. I think Wallace and Castro will improve next year and I think Chris Johnson will come back to earth. I am not expecting any changes on this team other maybe picking up a 5th outfielder or utility player.

18. Buck Turgidson

Yep, like I said, I like him. Middle IF is a hole they're going to have to address in the next couple of years (hopefully someone on the farm progresses); no problem with Kep manning 2B next year, just think that's one of the areas they're going to look to improve (and Wade/Heck are on record desiring speed & range up-the-middle)

Sink or swim time for those 2 and Johnson. I hope they give them a long leash & let them go through the usual growing pains. They need to find out what they have.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

20. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Well he said he "not looking" to sell the team but he said is OPEN to the idea of selling team. In other words offer me $600 million dollars and the Astros are yours.