1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Interesting that PECOTA projections have the Angels finishing ahead of the A’s. They project the Astros to be at 98 wins, Yankees at 99 and Dodgers at 103. They give the Astros essentially a 97% chance to make the playoffs, third highest to only the Yankees and Dodgers.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

BigM likes this.
  4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

It also has the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox and White Sox playing 163 games.

arkoe, RayRay10 and mikol13 like this.
  5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Cheaters.

raining threes, mikol13 and msn like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Likely rounding error. Considering the average error in preseason standings historically is +/- 7 games with about 10% of teams having an error of at least 10 games, the rounding error is likely negligible (from FanGraphs, I have no reason to assume PECOTA is significantly different).

8. Nook

Nook Member

I would likely take the under on 98 wins but it is about right.

I think the Yankees see some guys take a statistical hit from last year.

The Dodgers at 103 wins seems right...... I wouldn't be shocked if they win 108 games.... their line up is stacked, their defense will be good, their pitching is still very solid. They are the best team on paper. This may be the season they break through and win the WS..... but you can throw the Astros, Yankees, Dodgers and Braves in a hopper and pick one out and be just as certain.......... I have to say that the Astros winning the WS this season would be very sweet, but I am not expecting to get fair calls from the umpires, the league does not want an Astros WS......

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The Dodgers will likely have the best record, but Kershaw will get rocked in the playoffs and Bellinger will strike out about 50% and they will blow it

Astros over Braves and Umps in 7

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d still take the Astros lineup over the Dodgers

texans1095 and everyday eddie like this.
  11. Marteen

Marteen Member

You gotta figure that more non-Astros fans are tuning in to watch the Astros after what the team's been through.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

One of these years, the Astros offense is going to have some good luck to go along with being flat out better hitters.

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I give a slight edge to the Dodgers, but I do think the Astros have more upside...... we have a lot of guys entering their prime that can do better than they have. Correa is capable of winning an MVP and hitting 50 homers..... I don't think we have seen a career year out of Springer yet........ who knows what the ceiling for Alvarez is......... Tucker is another one that we are not sure of yet.

Even on the pitching side, I could see a scenario where McCullers puts it all together...... Jose Urquidy is an extremely underrated player both tools and performance wise.

14. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Agree completely. Add in a Forrest Whitley and others and who knows. So many high upside guys with our already strong core.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  15. Mattician

Mattician Member

That new proposed playoff format is dumb.

16. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

if we truly do not get fair calls then the league should apologize for punishing us. You want integrity in the game? Then you do not allow unfair treatment. You chose a punishment regimen and executed on it. The Astros went a step further and terminated lunhow and hinch. Our dues have technically been paid and will continue to be paid in the next two drafts. Unfair calls and bias from the Umpires would be just as wrong as what the Astros did. If allowed to happen then Manfred is a hypocrite

Nook and The Beard like this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Re: unfair calls, I don’t think many close ones will go our way this season. I don’t think there will be a lot of outright unfair calls, but we sure as hell aren’t going to get the benefit of the doubt. If it’s close, it’s going the other way.

Nook likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Ok it's officially Feb 12th with Pitchers and Catchers reporting today so the Offseason is over ... the worst offseason in the history of Houston sports and it's not even close.

Lock the thread and archive it to the secret sub-forum that only 98ers have access too.

Let's get this season under way and hopefully begin to move past all this nonsense.

20. msn

msn Member

I wish. It's not going away because pitchers and catchers report. Nor Opening Day. Get ready to hear this every time someone has a slump, or every time someone is killing it.

Gonna be a long season, win or lose.

Go Astros. Take no prisoners, show no mercy.