1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 14, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Winning does have a way of convincing people to stand pat.

He’s already one of the bigger star pitchers in the game... and that’s with spending most of his career in Detroit.

I don’t foresee the Astros getting too locked into something, given that all pitchers will regress eventually... but something sort of like Clemens did on a year-to-year basis, or even a half-year basis, may be enough to entice. I also see him as a future coach/manager type... just seems like too big of competitor to eventually do nothing or just broadcasting once he retires.

Jake Tower likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

My hope is that he plays so dominant for the next few years that he enters the Hall with an Astros cap.

Jake Tower likes this.
  3. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

Which forum is this?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doubtful that will ever happen.

The Hall decides. Even if he has a Nolan Ryan with the Rangers-like run, he’s going in as a Tiger (and if he was given the choice, regardless of what happens now, he’d probably say the same thing).

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You would think that those three World Series rings might sway Verlander's opinion.

lnchan and houstonstime like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It may.

It did happen for Drexler... hometown issues aside, he should still be more synonymous with Portland/Blazers, but he isn’t.

7. Buck Turgidson

Could be. Now that he's figured out how to hit he's pretty much Adam Everett with a stick.

raining threes likes this.
  8. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I like the conversation about Verlander and whether or not he'll go into the Hall as a Tiger or Astro. Ultimately I don't see how he could possibly go in as an Astro when he spent 13 seasons in Detroit. 183 wins, two no-hitters, one Cy Young Award and four other top-5 Cy Young finishes, one AL MVP and two WS appearances is a pretty stacked resume. Granted, if he were to sign a 2/3 year extension after 2019 and we won something like 2 or 3 more World Series (yes, I know that is highly unlikely), I think there would at least be a semi-convincing argument for him to enter the Hall as an Astro.

BigM likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Semi-convincing but not enough. Even if we win 1 or 2 more with him, I have no problem with him going in as a Tiger.

That said, if they had to chose 1, I'd rather they extend him another 2 years than keep Keuchel.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’ve been very impressed with Ohtani thus far... and he’s a good enough hitter to warrant these 2-3 games/week in the lineup... but to think he’s going to hold his own against HOF-quality pitchers on the first go-round is a bit presumptuous.

Verlander made him look absolutely amateurish in 3 out his 4 AB’s.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's worse than Todd Frazier

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I was just looking at the Astros upcoming schedule. I feel bad for Keuchel.

His next 3 scheduled pitching match ups....

Kluber
    Kluber
    Severino

texans1095 likes this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He could win 5 Cy Youngs in Houston and he'll go in as a Tiger. He'll have spent the majority of his career there even if he goes on like Nolan Ryan. As a baseball fan I wouldn't want Verlander in there wearing an Astros cap.

texans1095 likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess the best comparison at that point would be Randy Johnson.

He won one CYA as a Mariner, spent 10 years there... but went on to win 4 more as a D’back and won a WS, and is in the Hall as a D’back.

We know he’s not going to go on to win 4-5 Cy Young Awards here. He could win more than one WS. At that point, its still the Tigers by a landslide... but if your above hypothetical scenario comes to light, along with more WS wins, there is a precedent for shifting allegiances.

As it is, I think its silly to define a HOF career simply by whichever hat is on the plaque in Cooperstown. Nolan Ryan will always be identified as an Astro (as well as a Ranger). Houston will always claim Justin Verlander as part of the core group that won its first WS for the city.

texans1095 likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And let’s not forget Houston’s own Eddie Matthews.

NIKEstrad and raining threes like this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

JV = ballin historically

Darvish = TWO World Series L's

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He also spent 8 years with the Diamondbacks and won a similar number of games, plus time in Montreal, SF, here & NY. If he had been the pitcher in his 20s that he was in his 30s that might have been different.

Jim Bunning had 9 years with Detroit, but went in as a Phillie despite only 6 years with them.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah... not really counting that last 2 year cameo he had with Arizona... but even without that, and only 6 years with the D’backs, I bet he goes in as a Diamondback.

If Verlander has more Cy Young Award wins and more World Series wins/appearances with the Astros than he did with the Tigers... its not unprecedented.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I would.