1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Damn, 98 heater from Osuna, nice

Houstunna and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  2. SemisolidSnake

Bullpen MVP for sure, but as you've said, he just handled everything we needed while the rest of the bullpen was getting itself sorted out. And that was key to the whole team. I'd be tempted to call him The Glue Guy of the entire team for his part in holding the team together during a lot of these extended injury-laden, questionable-bullpen times this season.

Also, Rondon has been quite solid this year. Way more than I would've expected based on last year. A few slip-ups but definitely a key part. Good for him. And Devo's been solid lately.

And good for Osuna simplifying his stuff and going to back to beating the crap out of teams like he just did.

And welcome back Pressly. And good job, Josh James.

Feels good to throw out all these compliments to the pen. But especially Harris.

RayRay10, whiskeyred, Kim and 2 others like this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

The only team I've ever thought were our nemesis were the Braves & Cards.

5. Buck Turgidson

Nobody is rooting for the A's tonight. We clinch the Division if they lose.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah...but it would be better to clinch after a home win. Only game in weeks I haven’t cared what Oakland does.

texans1095 and AznH-TownFan like this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

We're winning the division regardless. I'd personally like to see us win it tomorrow.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I was just posting the score you drama queens....

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Huge victory seeing CC and Pressley perform

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yankees loss again.

Stros would have to lose THREE times minimum in eight games to not clinch best record.

Good times

11. Buck Turgidson

Presley:

[​IMG]

Pressley:

[​IMG]

Pressly:

[​IMG]

It's ridiculous how many times I have had to stop and think when I'm spelling his name.

BigM, lnchan and sealclubber1016 like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've looked his name up on multiple occasions and still spell it wrong.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

Ryan Pressly presses batters with his high-spin pitches. He pitches in a very pressly way to them. (Not a real word, but it works.)

Alternatively, how do you spell "success"? Same way you spell "Pressly," with two Ss and one E.

I'm here for everyone's mnemonic needs.

SWTsig likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Projected out to a full season, the Astros have 5 players on a 40 HR pace. Yordan is on a 50 HR pace. Yuli is merely on a 35 HR pace.

While I love that our guys are having success, I'm at the point where I roll my eyes whenever I see these HR numbers being viewed as an accomplishment. Not blaming any of the players of course, they just play in whatever settings are presented to them the same as everybody else, but the absurd HR numbers league wide kinda piss me off.

Half the teams in baseball are gonna set franchise HR records.

everyday eddie and arkoe like this.
  15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not arguing, genuinely curious. Why do you care so much?

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Baseball stats have a unique place in the sports landscape. You can't fake them, or inflate them like you can in other sports (scoring chuckers in the NBA aren't good players, QB's or RB's can be created strictly by the system) nor do they come at the expense of your teammates. It's one of the reasons baseball players are compared to players from a century ago, the sport has more or less remained stable statistically speaking since the 20's. Variance yes, but not a completely different sport like football and basketball back in the day. The NBA and NFL almost completely disregard anything before the 70's

The one park that has been an exception to that is Colorado, and Rockie players have an almost impossible job trying to gain respect for their hitting accomplishments because of it. It's also the reason there is such retroactive animosity towards the steroid era (nobody gives a f**k about steroids in football)

At this point, almost the entire league is playing in Colorado. It's like funhouse mirror home run totals.

#136 sealclubber1016, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    arkoe likes this.
  17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree that the homeruns feel tainted. My guess is at least 1/3 of the fans feel this way, another 1/3 of the fans are turning a blind eye to it, and only 1/3 like it. The broadcast team is two -faced about it, but they know what's going on. When 2/3 of every roster set their career high in home run records in the same year, then it's less fun because it's obviously the baseballs and not the talent. This is like the blip in endgame. However, baseball has yet to decide or show us if they are ok with this. They could just say we are making better baseballs and that's that. Or they can say we made a different baseball and that's that. Or they could self correct and say we made a different baseball and we need to go back. Right now, I feel like baseball is ignoring it and they don't care, but I would prefer they take what they learned from the steroid era because at some point they will face a bubble ready to burst, even if it's like 20 years from now when every illustrious record falls. I wouldn't mind getting Bonds off the books, but it could be at the expense of the game.

arkoe likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

as long as he didn't kiss the mirror, we're ok.

Arod details photoshoot:
    Don't let him do that, Daniela. Block A-rod's number from Los' cellie.

[​IMG]

Houstunna likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

Carlos said that he accidentally broke the mirror when he swung a little too close for comfort, but that all seven of his black cats scattered safely away. On whether or not he owns a ladder, Carlos asked why that would even matter.

Houstunna and conquistador#11 like this.