1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

9-20 Jaime Barria (R) vs. Zack Greinke (R) 7:10

9-21 Patrick Sandoval (L) vs. Wade Miley (L) 6:10

9-22 Jose Rodriguez (R) vs. Justin Verlander (R) 1:10

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Taking the boys to the Sunday game. Gotta keep it rolling.

whiskeyred likes this.
  3. CinematicFusion

ESPN article on best fastball hitting teams
    Link

Are we that bad at hitting fastballs?

“This October, there is an intimidating Against High-Velocity story looming, in Los Angeles. The Dodgers are fantastic against high velocity, almost stunningly so. The Astros, a seemingly equal superteam in most respects, have been quite poor against high velocity this year. We know both of these teams are great, but are we moving to a clay court that favors one team over the other? Are the Dodgers built for October in a way Houston isn't? Will the reasonable hypothesis survive testing?”

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I say force them to throw breaking balls by asking nicely.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hard to take any fancy stats the Dodgers accrue seriously, since they're doing it against a NL that is 60% tanking. Any stats that have a sub .500 correlation coefficient are white noise to me.

6. SemisolidSnake

My eyeballs say, yeah, we are. Granted, Altuve just a 100 mph high fastball over the fence a couple days ago, but yeah, I'd believe it. Speed eats Springer alive. Before I say I know everything, though, I must say that I really don't recall a ton of instances of the Astros facing really hard throwers this year. Maybe the Dodgers just see more of them than we do, so they're a little more attuned to it. I dunno. I'm not too worried. We have a lot of guys with good eyes, I think playoff adrenaline will transfer to a little extra bat speed. I hope.

As for how the Dodgers will fair against our high-velocity 1-2 punch, I'm not worried about that either. JV and Cole aren't CYA-1 and CYA-2 because they throw fast. JV doesn't even throw 95+ for most a game. He starts getting up there towards his final innings. Our guys throw fast AND in the right locations and at the right times. They'll be fine. Then after the co-Cy Youngs, the Dodgers can have fun hitting former Cy Young Greinke and his 55 mph eephuses. And Miley and his nonstop edge-nibbling cutters. Ok, so the Dodgers hit better against 95+? Cool for the Astros' pitching staff that doesn't need that to win.

#6 SemisolidSnake, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I find it interesting but not meaningful. Or not enough to care about. A large portion of our lineup has significant postseason success. They’re capable against anyone.

9. bcast89

bcast89 Member

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Need a sweep... no springer or yuli tonight.

jcee15 likes this.
  11. SemisolidSnake

Noodling around on Wiki while waiting for the game to start, I learned some interesting things.

No team in MLB history has every had FOUR consecutive 100-win seasons. I trust in Luhnow and Hinch to change that next year.

This season will mark only the eighth ever major league season with three 100-game winners once the Dodgers hit triple digits. It's happened in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Obviously, the Astros were part of all those seasons. Also, this is the first time three consecutive seasons will have 100-game winners.

There's still time for the Twins and/or Braves to win enough to have the first ever 4+ 100-win team season.

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

13. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

TUVE!!!! 30 HRs!

14. SemisolidSnake

Hinch said to Julia that Pressly will pitch today. I think. He definitely said he's back in the bullpen, and Hinch isn't giving him any hints as to when he'll be called on, so he needs to be ready.

H-Town Info likes this.
  15. alethios

alethios Member

I mean, the quality of pitching the Dodgers had to face has to be worse than what the Astros have faced this year.

16. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

18. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

BREGS!!! MVP!

mick fry and whiskeyred like this.
  19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

MVP!

mikol13 and mick fry like this.
  20. SemisolidSnake

Alex doesn't like an even 1.000 OPS. Too many zeros.