1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I like Yang and have no issue with anyone stanning for him, just be realistic about it. I've thrown down with people who had zero chance to get elected. I rode the Kasich train to the end in the Trump primary and cast a vote for him in my primary despite the race being over. I get it.

There is nothing wrong with believing in your candidate and sticking with them to the end, just don't be delusional about it

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think it's clear there's not much I can say to disabuse you of this incorrect notion, but I'll leave it with this.

1) Looking at historical examples, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter were in worse (Carter) or roughly similar (Clinton) positions than Yang is now at their respective times in their races. I'm not saying this is the norm, but I am saying you are not giving the devil his due. A small chance is not zero.

2) Voter loyalty in this primary is at historic lows. We've already seen three large rises and two large falls. We are less than halfway through the debate schedule. Ad buys haven't even started in earnest yet (except for Steyer/Bloomberg).

My baseline goal is that he is no longer considered a "longshot" when this is all over (everyone's going to have a subjective/different interpretation of that). I think making it to the convention or the final 5 (or both) would accomplish that.

Nah. When people are attacking you for something silly/inconsequential it is a good indicator. It gives Yang attention and doesn't damage his standing. Moar of this plz.

There are plenty of betting sites who would disagree with you. Maybe you can go win some cash.

3. justtxyank

Let's make a wager.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think it's clear I'm not deluded about Yang's chances, so I'm not sure what your problem is.

Nook likes this.
  5. justtxyank

I'm sorry if you feel under attack, I didn't mean to be an ass. I thought we were having friendly banter about Yang so seriously, I apologize if I came across as a jerk.

jcf, Amiga, Os Trigonum and 2 others like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

We'd have to hire a lawyer and an actuary to structure it properly given how lopsided the odds would be.

jcf, B-Bob and justtxyank like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And what you are ignoring is that Yang does not rank in top 3 of any of the top 4 candidates as their 2nd choice.

So that means he is not even on the radar of the majority of the democratic voters.

Clinton and Carter did not have the 24 hr news cycle and social media so it was hrder for them to get attention, Yang does not have that handicap.

Is Yang showing any rise in polls or has he stagnated over the last month?

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Exactly. I tend to agree with most everything he has to say but he is a not ready-for-prime-time presidential contender. I agree with most everything every Dem candidate has to say as well.

10. TheresTheDagger

This thread is quickly catching up to "What's up unsorted" for my favorite thead. (at least for today)

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You can thank @KingCheetah and whip cream

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh sure, "snowconeman" and noted Yang supporter. Now we know how you got that moniker. :oops:

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this.

I personally think Yang would cut through Trump like a lazer going through a pile of hot wet bullsh*t.

snowconeman22 and Amiga like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook, FrontRunner, ryan_98 and 4 others like this.
  15. TheresTheDagger

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Nook likes this.
  16. Rashmon

I do not disagree that Yang is intelligent, successful, and could "cut through dip$hit like a lazer." This does not appear to matter in today's post fact world. My 6 year old granddaughter is more coherent than dip$hit and could talk circles around him.

He is an unknown national figure without government or political experience. We live in a political world and I prefer candidates who have experience in maneuvering within this world. I want a president managing from a public sector perspective rather than private capitalist perspective.

My basic political "paradigm" leans toward the career folks like Biden, Warren, Bernie, etc. I'm a career bureaucrat and a "true believer" in the positive power of government populated by seasoned professionals doing what is best for the country. Working within the system to get good things done for the good of all. This is why I abhor the damage that dip$hit is doing to our government institutions.

All that aside, Yang and you have made a great case for him as a candidate and if he were the nominee, I would be happy and support him fully.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

18. Rashmon

Gravity or gravitas?

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as a career bureaucrat, do you ever think government needs shaking up or reforming? or are our "governmental institutions" just fine as is? serious question, not trying to be sarcastic or anything

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Rashmon

Well, duhh. Of course policies and procedures are routinely reviewed and revised, and when conducted by qualified non-partisan professionals can lead to major beneficial changes. However, when an unqualified incompetent buffoon is elected and populates government institutions with political cronies with no qualification other than loyal patronage then you have problems.

As a moderate Democrat I'm sure you share the same concerns with our current mistake-in-chief.