1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Shut up chubs.

CometsWin likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yang and Bernie supporters play checkers and still lose. It's pretty clear their IQ is that of someone who was dropped on their head and lack even a limited understanding of how one thing can affect several others down the line. Chimps have more advanced planning skills.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yang on Anderson Cooper last night

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I hate to say this... But I do agree...

Don't go down the same road and path as Trump... Stay above him and about the issues and policies, be different and make a difference...

[​IMG]

T_Man

arkoe, leroy, adoo and 1 other person like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is a great shortish interview. The guy who hosts this channel is charismatic as hell.

pirc1 likes this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm so, so glad he has chosen to champion democratic reforms. This is the root of all roots of our problems.

Restoring Democracy, Rebuilding Trust

August 15, 2019 by Andrew Yang

Key takeaways (highlights are my own)
    • Support a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United and Valeo, which were terrible decisions that have made our politics even more polarized.
    • Eliminate Super PACs and vessels for corporate intervention in campaigns.
    • Appoint judges who don’t believe corporations have the same rights as people.
    • Provide every American voter with $100 Democracy Dollars for each election cycle, a voucher that they can use to support candidates of their choosing.
    • This amounts to $23+ billion nationwide per election, allowing the will of the people to out-fund the $6.5 billion spent on federal races in 2016, $1.6 billion of which was Dark Money (4) (5).
    • Break with tradition and appoint nonpartisan members to the FEC (retired judges, academics, etc), instead of appointing the Congressional leaders’ partisan picks.
    • Propose legislation that would limit the FEC to 5 members, with no more than 2 members from one political party. Additionally, the chair will be required to be nonpartisan and will be chosen with the assistance of a blue-ribbon advisory panel. Only if Congress approves of this legislation will I return to the tradition of appointing their partisan picks for the other 4 FEC members.
    • Direct the FEC to focus on increasing disclosure requirements, and focusing on unearthing the donor trail, for Super PACs.
    • Promote constitutional amendments that would shift the Electoral College to a proportional selection system.
    • Win reelection using the current rules of the system.
    • Promote the use of the efficiency gap to measure partisan gerrymandering when evaluating and drawing district maps.
    • Promote the use of independent redistricting commissions (a nonpartisan, supermajority commission, similar to California’s).
    • Appoint Supreme Court justices who support the use of sociological tools such as the efficiency gap to help end partisan gerrymandering.
    • Push the DNC to adopt a ranked-choice voting model for all Democratic primaries.
    • Work with Congress to adopt ranked-choice voting for all federal elections.
    • Divest from all personal investments and business interests, and place all assets in a blind trust.
    • Disclose the previous 10 years of my income tax returns.
    • Fire anyone in my Administration who accepts money from lobbyists for a personal legal defense fund they’ve established to defend from any wrong-doing, whether while in office or before.
    • Work with Congress to pass laws preventing individuals serving in government from accepting money from lobbyists for a personal legal defense fund.
    • Pledge to accept no speaking fees or board positions for personal gain after leaving office.
    • Pass legislation raising the next President’s salary to $4 million but barring them from any speaking fees or board positions for personal gain after leaving office.
    • Increase salaries for government officials who operate in a regulatory capacity to much higher levels, but ban them from receiving anything of value in exchange for advocating for a position (lobbying) to members of the federal government.
    • Provide an Anti-Corruption Stipend for all members of the Executive Branch after the termination of their employment, to be paid as long as they don’t accept anything of value in exchange for advocating for a position to members of the federal government.
    • Undergo a mental health screening and release the determination as to my fitness for office to the American people.
    • Hire a White House psychologist corps to provide mental health assistance to all employees of the Executive Branch.
    • Require all employees of the Executive Branch to undergo regular mental health evaluations.
    • Work with the Office of Special Counsel to ensure that the efforts of people serving in my Administration are not in violation of the Hatch Act, preventing them from using their official position or resources to engage in certain political activities, by
    • ensuring everyone is aware of the limitations placed on them by the Act
    • implementing a two-strike rule, and firing anyone who violates the Hatch Act more than once as determined by the OSC (a one-strike policy would be in place for egregious acts).
    • working to pass a more stringent enforcement mechanism for Hatch Act violations.
    • Work with the Office of Special Counsel to ensure that whistleblowers are protected in my Administration when they disclose information of wrongdoing within the federal government.
    • Ensure that the Espionage Act is interpreted narrowly enough that it isn’t used to silence whistleblowers or journalists who expose wrongdoing by the federal government.
    • Direct all members of my Administration to comply with subpoenas to testify issued by Congress.
    • Limit invocations of executive privilege during any investigation into a criminal matter.
    • Limit conversations with my Attorney General and all members of federal law enforcement to conversations about policy initiatives, instead of directing any specific legal actions to be brought against individuals or organizations.
    • Refuse to comment publicly on any ongoing investigation, or on the need for an investigation into a specific individual or group.
    • Identify federal agencies that can operate outside of the Washington, D.C., area, and work with them to create a plan for relocation throughout the U.S.
    • Create a task force within the OMB to perform an audit of all federal agencies, clearly defining a list of them, their charge, and their list of responsibilities. Hire a management consulting firm to do the same, and have the two reconcile their report to put together a series of recommendations for streamlining the federal bureaucracy.
    • Promote cooperation in these agencies by providing incentives for management to work together with other agencies that have shared regulatory space.
    • Provide sufficient funding so that each agency can maintain up-to-date, secure technological infrastructure to carry out their work.
    • Enhance the recruitment and retention of younger workers by changing hiring guidelines, compensation and reporting structures.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Continued from above...

• Create a new Cabinet-level department – the Department of Technology – to work with private industry and Congressional leaders to monitor technological developments, assess risks, and create new guidance. The new Department would be based in Silicon Valley and would initially be focused on Artificial Intelligence.
    • Instruct the IRS to implement a system whereby any American can opt into a program to have their taxes filed automatically.
    • Instruct the IRS to coordinate with the Treasury to prepare a report on federal spending, and send each taxpayer a rundown of the actual amount of their taxes that went to each major spending area (e.g., domestic programs, foreign aid, military, etc), and allow each taxpayer to select a project for 1% of their taxes to go to.
    • Increase the budget of the IRS by 50% to ~$17 billion and modernize it with the latest technology. Money spent on the IRS will almost certainly pay for itself many times over via better tax compliance and less wasted time of citizens.
    • Declare Tax Day to be Revenue Day, a federal holiday to celebrate all the projects undertaken or completed by the federal government in the previous year, and announcing new projects.
    • Support a constitutional amendment that would limit individuals to serving a maximum of 12 years in each chamber of Congress.
    • Get rid of the filibuster or Mitch McConnell (or, preferably, both). Promote an end to the current filibuster system used in the Senate, ending the requirement for a 60-vote cloture motion and replacing it with the traditional need to hold the floor.
    • This will promote the actual articulation of an argument against the legislation or appointment opposed.
    • Accept a phase-in period so that the Senate that implements the majority requirement isn’t the Senate that first operates under the new rules.
    • Create a central website where Americans can easily look up all votes taken by members of Congress, whether in committee or on the floor.
    • Avoid signing any bill that doesn’t go through regular order when possible – to allow extensive time for all legislators from all parties to debate all issues they have with a bill, and to allow ample time for expert testimony.
    • Refuse to sign any bill that wasn’t posted in its final form at least 72 hours before the vote on that bill was held, when possible.
    • Refuse to sign any bill that doesn’t include a clearly defined set of goals, with measurable performance indicators, and guidelines for what to do should the legislation meet, exceed, or not meet those goals.
    • If Congress doesn’t pass a budget, refuse to sign anything other than increasingly short CRs to promote the creation of actual budgets, increasing the efficiency of the federal government.
    • Advocate for Congress to change its rules to allow for more negotiation for local benefits for a desirable piece of legislation that doesn’t impact the entire US.
    • Work with Congress to admit Washington, DC, to the union as a state, with equal representation.
    • Take all steps necessary to promote Puerto Rican statehood as an overdue step toward equality, if this is what Puerto Ricans want.
    • Work with Congress to pass a clear Code of Ethics that applies to the Supreme Court.
    • Propose a constitutional amendment imposing 18-year term limits on Supreme Court Justices, with terms staggered so that there’s one retirement every other year (each President gets 2 appointments).
    • Allow for “off-cycle” appointments, having the President “forfeit” their next appointment to maintain parity.
    • Create a new tradition, that all Presidents will meet with congressional leadership from both parties on a monthly basis.
    • Refuse to sign any budget that doesn’t include the revival of the Office of Technology Assessment and enough funding to ensure it is staffed at sufficient levels to deliver top quality briefings to members of Congress.
    • Find ways for the OTA and OSTP to work together to ensure both branches of government have the best information available and Congress can provide proper oversight of the actions of the executive branch.
    • Increase the staffing of the OSTP to appropriate levels, similar to those under President Obama (~150).
    • Support any changes Congress makes to its compensation structure to ensure that top talent can be attracted to work in the public sector for at least a period of time, including increasing the pay cap above congressional salaries or creating tax breaks for companies that allow employees to defer their employment to work in government for several years.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I like Yang, but let's be serious now, he have Zero, Zilch, Nada chance of winning the Democrat nomination.

biff17 likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Betting markets feeling pretty bullish on Yang lately.

[​IMG]

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think I'm leaning Yang.

Andre0087, TheRedRanger and DonnyMost like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'll vote for him in the primary and vote for whomever the democrats offer up for president even if it's Bernie ( I can't stand him).

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And by bullish, @pirc1 ,he means the betting markets are saying 90-91% chance it won't happen.

KingCheetah likes this.
  15. pirc1

:) yes I see that.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I assume you know I'm referencing his rise from 1-2% betting odds and outside the top 10 to 10% and inside the top 5 over the last 2-3 months

That kind of trajectory feelsgoodman.jpg :)

B-Bob likes this.
  17. pirc1

Yes, I get that too. He have some good ideas that others could use though, maybe he could be a cabinet member if Democrats win the election.

18. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

Seriously, If not yang, who else?

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I find it interesting that I don't see anyone here supporting Biden but he's ahead.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Do you mean in this thread, or the bbs in general?