1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It should be. Yang is far less experienced in governance, politics, macroeconomics policy than Warren.

Warren has written books in far more detail on the systemic issues with our economic system especially consumer debt. She has taught these subject matters also at the highest level of education in the most elite institutions.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Waiting for Yang supporters who go on and on about the negative effects of automation on jobs and american welfare to acknowledge that illegal immigration adds to this problem.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I didn’t know the latest Alexa update will activate clean my house and mow my lawn mode.

This is a silly point to try and make. AI will disrupt many jobs in many areas but it’s not displacing the type of jobs you are alluding to.

A job title many might not be thinking of is actually Sales. AI will continue to improve the sales process with predictive analytics and really take out much of the need to have a consultative partner guiding you where AI can start to predict and guide through the tech you interact with.

AI will impact many jobs, but tying those jobs to low skilled immigrants is just plain silly.

biff17 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I said automation... ai is only one part of automation... you are building a lovely strawman.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Experience and expertise can also get you stuck, very stuck. If you are so insistent that you are right based on your experience and expertise and refuses to listen to others, you can get very stuck. It's not always great. It's not the be all. And it's not definitely what is needed in a POTUS. Trump has lower that bar so much, any of us can be president, but personally, I want someone that can connect with people, can listen and understand, have strong vision for the nation and have the ability to articulate that vision and work with others toward those goals. Expertise and experience are great, but by itself is not nearly enough.

p.s. I think you are doing a disservice to Warren if you think she's only that. She has many other great characters that make her a very good president candidate.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Automation has been a fear factor since the cotton gin and the steamboat. Robotics in automation yes... there are some new advances but the fact is it’s not likely taking midwestern white person type jobs anytime soon and is very expensive for companies to deploy.

AI is mentioned by me because it’ll take more faster in the types of jobs you and I work in. Although I’m not losing too much sleep over it and I doubt you are too. It’s all about “immigration” and it’s not even really about that with Trump supporters. It’s cultural and racial change in the end.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You're going to be waiting a long time, because the numbers don't support that theory.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Andrew Yang fake crying really cracked me up. The cringe. He smiled before he did this. lol Watching it again for a laugh.

Also I really don't think the arguments that precede this post are strong enough to warrant any further attention. I also have to laugh at how basic and devoid of reality some posters here are.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You sound like an absolute blast to be around.

durvasa likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yang on illegal immigrants:

ryan_98 and B-Bob like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

'What does that guy weigh? 280 or something': Andrew Yang calls Donald Trump fat and a slob, challenges him to a push-up contest and says 'America would love to see you pass out'

I mean, he ain't wrong, but I think this line of attack was a mistake. It comes off as just mean and way out of character. Granted getting Trump's attention would be very good for exposure/publicity, and this is one the more effective ways there probably is to do so. So far everyone seems to be ignoring this though and I'm kind of glad.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

While Trump is a disgusting fatbody this attack from Yang is weak.

ryan_98 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, I think it is an attention stunt rather than coming for any serious desire to match Trump in a push-up competition. I guess he wants to continue to build on momentum so he can gather more support.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am great at parties fam.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I have to say that is the dumbest thing ever... dude is a moron.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

While fat shaming is an odd gambit, and I doubt it wins many mid-America votes... it does several things:
    • Distinguishes yang more than ever from the polite Dem (policy proposal uber alles) field
    • Attacks the opponent instead of his fellow candidates
    • Goes right at the "Trump strong" image a lot of his followers seem to adore
    • Shows a willingness to go "playground"
    • Has probably a lot of people asking themselves "can POTUS do even one push-up?"

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we already know the answer. It is either 'No' or Yes with the qualifier that doing one would cause his arteries to explode, give him a heart attack, stroke, and anneurism thus killing him.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't agree with all of Yang's conclusions but I least he defines real problems and proposes real solutions. I've always been attracted to pragmatism which is why I supported the Clintons despite all their warts. Tackling the deficit was a big issue for Clinton, so he cut defense spending and signed the reformed entitlements bill from congress. I doubt a practical president will ever get elected again, since this country has gotten extreme on both ends.

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    You can't attack Trump for his lack of decency, and then fat shame him and insult his physical capabilities. You lose your own advantage in the area of decency when you go down this road. And this is a perfect microcosm of why so many Americans are put off when they get moral lectures from Democrats about how they should think and live. Joe Scarborough is a great example. The guy acts like he's some virtuous higher being, yet is on his third freaking wife and had problems with interns in the past. Total hypocrite and lacks the moral standing to levy attacks against anyone. Democrats' self awareness in general is truly awful.

GOOD DAY

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's a pretty common sentiment on the liberal side, so dumb or not he isn't alone. It's probably more sensitive for him because anyone you make a citizen gets UBI in his scheme. If you look at his site, his fuller argument is essentially: (1) do an even better job securing the southern border and fix the immigration courts first, (2) then naturalize the illegal immigrant population that's here, and (3) they and all other citizens get UBI.