1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

HIRE....

MORE....

JUDGES....

Couldn't give a **** if all the hearings conclude with 'asylum denied'. But if if you want to remove the backlog and hiding these migrants indefinitely in subpar detention centers, hire more judges...

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, your beloved pres sets the bar. You guys wanted no more PC and people to say controversial things. Well, you can't just have it for one side. Live with it and stop crying.

I swear, I am so sick of the right turning every word into some big deal.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Detention without bail for a misdemeanor, which is unreasonable. Overcrowded conditions, which have created situations in which people don't have shelter, don't have a place to sleep, exposed to increased risk of victimization in incarceration, etc. I'm glad they get fed and all, but there is more to the bare minimum than prison food.

5. HTM

HTM Member

This is the thread to discuss AOC and her statements.

There are plenty of threads to discuss Trump and his statements.

Trump has literally nothing to do with this discussion.

You insert, "wHaT urbout Trump" because you want to move away from AOC and her disgusting statements that have been widely criticized across the political spectrum and more importantly, from prominent voices in the Jewish community.

Maybe to you the Holocaust is NBD. To a lot of folks, it is.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's totally relevant. You want to attack one politician for something something 1/1000th to the degree of another more prominent politician. It's stupid.

7. HTM

HTM Member

There is certainly some stupid going on here.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yeah, this whole thread is stupid.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thinks You’re Stupid" excerpt:

If Trump is operating "concentration camps," then Obama was also operating "concentration camps," Bill Clinton ran a "concentration camp" for Haitian refugees at Guantanamo, Gerald Ford was operating "concentration camps" when forced to deal with Vietnamese refugees, Jimmy Carter operated "concentration camps" of Cuban migrants from the Mariel boatlift, and whoever inherits the current immigration crisis will almost certainly continue to operate "concentration camps" in the future. Reacting to surges in migration by detaining huge groups of people and not letting them disperse is standard operating procedure. What Ocasio-Cortez imputes to fascism is more easily explained by simple necessity.​

https://freebeacon.com/blog/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thinks-youre-stupid/

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yep. Like being able to sleep and wash? Would that be bare min for kids in these packed them up like tuna camps? The gov is arguing no. Pretty amazing position for an advanced modern civil society.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Limbaugh's analysis:

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., may be addicted to attention over her latest controversial comments, or she's "stupid," said conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

"I think she’s just having fun watching people blow up," he said Wednesday on his radio show. "If she does believe it, then she’s so stupid that there’s nothing to do about it."

The congresswoman, during an Instagram Live broadcast on Monday, accused the U.S. of operating "concentration camps" on the southern border. "That is exactly what they are. They are concentration camps," Ocasio-Cortez said during the video.

Ocasio-Cortez doubled down on her comments on Wednesday, refusing to apologize and invoking the Japanese internment camps of World War II.

Limbaugh believes that Ocasio-Cortez likes the notoriety and shock value of her comments.

"But I think there is a part of her that just can’t go a day without getting noticed," Limbaugh said. "But then after a while, people are so accustomed to your either stupidity or your shock value, or whatever, that no longer shocks anybody. So you gotta go over the line."​

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ao...ary-comments-or-shes-just-not-bright-limbaugh

13. JuanValdez

If detention center populations are kept at or under their capacity levels, and their use is limited to situations in which there is a compelling public interest in physical detention (a danger to the public or a significant flight risk or something similar) then I don't think it'd be the target of as much criticism.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sounds like Rush is trying to advice her based on his own experiences. Maybe it's a reference to Trump's style as well.

biff17 likes this.
  16. TheresTheDagger

Nobody forces these people to turn themselves in or to cross the border. They do it willingly anyways. It's completely their choice.

Do you have ANY proof of the above occurring? (beyond the current overcrowding....that's obvious). Are their circumstances worse than where they came from? I would argue in some cases yes, and others no. But ultimately THEY made the choice that put them in the situation and we do the best we can to deal with the problem they bring to our doorstep.

Regardless, they are uninvited guests to this country and are being given FREE beds, shelter, food, medical treatment, and even entertainment. That is HARDLY "concentration camp" conditions.

17. JuanValdez

If you're arrested for a common misdemeanor, say public intoxication, would you think it was reasonable to hold you in jail without bail until your case is resolved?

There have been many articles recently about this. Immigrants detained under a freeway overpass, minors sleeping on the concrete, and so on.

I was talking about our standards. What they do in some other country, or what conditions immigrants are accustomed to are not relevant. Prisons, btw, also have these overcrowding problems which I think is an injustice to be addressed, but that's a tangent.

You keep coming back to this one, and I don't find it persuasive at all. If them being uninvited and unwelcome is a justification for whatever kind of camp we want to stick them in, where is the line for unacceptable treatment? Is there a good argument for why we can't put them to work making license plates? Is there a reason why we can't charge them for food and rent?

They put a burden on the country by showing up. But we don't have to handle it this way. We can use more judges to improve our process time. We can put ankle bracelets on people and let them go to stay with family or with non-profits to await their hearing. We don't have to hold them and feed them and shelter them at all.

18. HTM

HTM Member

Awful analogy.. I suspect you know that...

TheresTheDagger and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

did you really post something from Limbaugh?

And he has the audacity to call out somebody else for being an attention seeker?

His whole business enterprise is based on shock value, GTFOH.

Why would anyone take Limbaughs "analysis" serious especially using this logic.

Dang O's this post is a low point for you.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I see the 'it's their choice' comes up multiple time.

Yes, it's their choice to migrate and to enter the US. It's OUR CHOICE to treat them however we treat them.

Someone decided to enter the US, even if illegally, doesn't make it alright for WE to treat these people (report are as young as 4M old) inhumanly. That would be the action of a pretty backward non-advanced uncivilized society.

When I hear it's their choice, sometime I think it's an attempt to blame them and excuse away or justify our actions. It seems we forget that some of these people are teens and toddlers. And it seems not only do we not care that lots of these people are simply trying to seek a better life for themselves and their family, we are seeing ourselves as victims. And I guess that make it easier for us to justify treating these people in whatever way, inhumanly included, to stop them, push them back out and prevent future intrusion. As that so far hasn't work, I wonder how far we are willing to go? There is an effective solution, if you are willing to go all the way.