1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah. It isn't really fair. We have a lot of dumbass Reps no one will raise an eyebrow to because they look like and say the same things as the majority. She has a tough row to hoe. I'm just recognizing in an amoral sort of way that a more clever, charismatic, or otherwise more gifted politician could probably navigate it better than she has so far. Maybe that's not right, maybe it is in fact impossible for a Muslim woman in Congress to avoid the criticism she's gotten. Certainly at least some of it is unavoidable. But my feeling is that she hasn't been adept. Probably she'll get better with experience, if she survives (politically) that long.

snowconeman22, biff17 and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If we are discussing things from a pragmatic perspective, I guess a lesson learned for future American Muslim politicans is don't touch the subject of Israel with a 10 foot pole.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We should not be there in the first place, we need to cut the military by at least half, we waste so many lives and money on unnecessary wars.

DD

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

**** YEAH !

DD

5. JuanValdez

I understand how she's provoked by the US' uncritical support of Israel and she wants to do something to change it. That might be a big part of why she wanted to be a Rep in the first place. I don't want to play armchair quarterback to her since she's doing it.

My grandmother used to have an accountant named Mr. Crook. I remarked that was a pretty unfortunate name for an accountant. She told me it was great because he's already got a strike against him so he has to be extra-honest to overcome that name. I think Obama took that tack as well. He was criticized by blacks for not doing more for their community. He was criticized on the right for doing too much. I'd say he was mostly very cautious and tended to stay away from pushing race issues (which seemed to push ahead despite him) to minimize the accusation that he was just a president for minorities. It was already a giant step for this country to elect a black president, period (and look at the electoral reaction that followed!). Electing a Muslim woman Rep is also a giant step all by itself. She has not been careful like Obama. The reaction will be strong and terrible. If she knows it's coming, great. I won't tell her to stop. I just hope she knows what she's doing.

biff17 and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ocasio-Cortez Derangement Syndrome documented:

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

8. JuanValdez

That's funny. But Pelosi I guess wants us to forget AOC beat Joe Crowley, #4 in the House, contender for the Speakership, entrenched incumbent who significantly outspent her in the primary. She's not just a warm body.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

related story. "Nancy Pelosi Desperately Trying To Pretend AOC Isn’t Running Her Party Into A Ditch":

No matter what you may think of her policies, you have to give Nancy Pelosi credit for one thing. She’s been knocking around inside the Beltway for a long time now and she knows how things work. And she can spot signs of impending disaster when she sees them. Having a couple of people like AOC and Ilhan Omar show up in Congress is like two people with Ebola arriving at an airport. It may not look like a major outbreak right now, but just give it a few weeks.​

Which is why more moderate Dems should be concerned about the pissing match/cat fight between Pelosi and Omar/AOC. If the lunatics take over the asylum, Trump is even more of a sure bet come 2020

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04...-trying-pretend-aoc-isnt-running-party-ditch/

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I wonder if the concern is from a genuine fear that the American public won't accept AOC's views thus weakening the Democratic party or whether she fears the "corporate money in politics and corporate lobbying is bad" rhetoric that new members like AOC tout will have fingers pointing towards her, the current poster child for corporate Democrats?

What do you personally think?

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm curious if that could be taken more out of context.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What fun would it be, if he just stuck with the facts? Not much, I suspect.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

i don't think that's what she was saying at all and I am frankly amazed you took it that way.

IMO she was saying that the district itself is very Democratic and that most other districts where won by moderate democrats and all the energy should not be focused on what AOC did in that particular district.

she is pushing back on the narrative that all of the gains where not made because of AOC type candidates.

This seems to be what most of the media wants to run with, she had a particularly telling statement in another interview when she was asked about the AOC wing of the party and Nancy said there are only 5 people in that group, which is actually accurate.

#1593 biff17, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    JuanValdez likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Or maybe you took the bait and there is no concern on the part of Pelosi and she is just stating the facts that there is more to the Democratic party than AOC.

Why must it be an either or, and that maybe AOC and Pelosi are ok and that they just have different opinions?

the fact that you went there shows me the Republican plan could gain a foothold and that worries me greatly.

Divide and conquer worked great in 2016.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

republican congressman thinks he will own the lib by challenging AOC to meet with coal miners. She agrees to meet. republican congressman goes, uh oh...

No Worries, quikkag and gifford1967 like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Democracy Dies in Darkness

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Yes, how dare anyone portray Islamic terrorism in such a negative light.

Chapter 9 verse 29 — insh’allah.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Wow, that is good. She got the stupidity down perfectly. She has a future in acting could get a job playing AOC on SNL right now. She is obviously an intelligent kid.

mick fry likes this.