1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYT: Trump Says He Will Sign Free Speech Order for College Campuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Mar 3, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I guess I was wrong. Bad ideas don't die. Jay is keeping them alive and well.

cml750 and BruceAndre like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's review again

1. You claim private universities that receive gov't funding should allow even Neo-Nazis to speak on campus
    When asked if corporations should be held to the same standard, You claim corporations should not receive federal gimmies
    3. When pointed out that they do receive it and what should the policy be on free speech be for corporations, you call me a lunatic

The lady doth protest too much

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eh, yeah, I guess so.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You're changing what I said to fit your warped view. That isn't at all how I framed my opinion. This is quite some gymnastics and strawmanning.

cml750 likes this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There should be no rules placed on its customers (outside of legality obviously), access rules for others should be non discriminatory, and the rules on its employees are however the employment agreement fleshes out (which is a matter for the business, its employees and whoever represents them).

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Depending on what you mean by "gimmies" (is a tax break a "gimmie"?), there aren't that many private companies that receive "corporate welfare."

There are -very many- colleges and universities that receive federal funding.

So, your analogy is not very apt.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So your position is that corporations that receive federal benefits (such as tax breaks) should be exempt from free speech requirements but colleges should not?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You deny stating that private universities can refuse public funding and therefore be freed from the requirement to allow free speech on campus?

You deny stating that when asked about corporations you only stated they should not receive federal funding there by dodging the question?

We can go back and pull your quotes and waste time, or you can start being honest. But if you state that all private universities have to do is deny federal grants to be able to have whatever free speech policy they want, you are defending Trump's executive order that while they do get that funding they should be required to abide by the 1st amendment. And if that's the case, my point is that the same should be applied to any organization, including corporations, as well. But you dodge that and won't address that point.

You are being very disingenuous here.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You really didn't read what I said accurately. I can't help that. I am just watching you go on at this point because I am largely indifferent to our conversation.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Hmmm maybe. I'm not sure I see a tax break on the one hand and federal funding on the other hand as the same thing.

Moreover, is there a problem with free speech at companies and in the private sector? I'm not sure that there is.

Free speech is being shut down at the colleges and universities; and not really anywhere else IMO.

cml750 likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What is your basis for stating that students have lost their right to free speech? Usually the issue is with outsiders trying to do activity on a college campus.

Students are allowed far more free speech than employees at companies. You can be fired for your views at a company, or for saying something politically incorrect. This is not the case at a university for students who have great leeway in their viewpoints.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why don't you clarify then?

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I though trump supported free speech? Or is free speech only good for conservatives to speak at colleges?

Trump Wants Appeals Court to Let Him Block Critics on Twitter
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...als-court-to-let-him-block-critics-on-twitter

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for the bump. I went and fetched the executive order. It actually has a dual purpose of (a) blackmailing universities to protect free speech, and (b) to increase transparency of earnings potential and debt burden. On the latter issue, it seems like a good idea. On the former, it seems like it gives the feds another hammer to hit public universities with, but they are already generally following the law on allowing access. Maybe it makes Cal err further on the side of caution and spend more on security to let Milo speak so that they do not endanger research grants.

It doesn't seem to do much of anything to private universities. The Order demands only full compliance with existing law. Since private universities don't have a First Amendment obligation like public universities do, I don't think this will matter to them. It mentions compliance with an institution's own mission, but it is only to 'encourage.'

I cut out Sections 5 and 6 to fit in one post. Relevant parts bolded.

Link

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

UBB seems to stick {quote} markers in places that I didn't intend and won't let me delete them. Maybe because the quote is too long? Or, more likely, I'm bad at the internets.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes, Free Milo! :D

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You're a troll who can't read. It is on you to read something and accurately respond, or people won't take you seriously.

cml750 and astrosrule like this.
  18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Goodness gracious. Have you missed all the reports where a college group gets Milo or Ann Coulter or Charles Murray or someone else who isn't SJW to speak on campus; then it gets shut down by the lefties going insane? The examples are numerous.

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Whether Trump's Twitter is analogous to conservative speakers getting banned on campus is highly debatable.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Blackmailing ?????

How about forcing them "to stick to their mission."