1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NSA contractor charged with leaking classified information to media

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Put her in front of a jury and she walks.

DD

3. cml750

cml750 Member

If she broke the law she should pay the price. I anxiously await to see the scope of what she did. All of the Russia stuff has proven to equal absolutely nothing so far except to fan the flames of the people who naively only get their information from these sources.

4. cml750

cml750 Member

Perhaps. It depends. Did she break the law? I do not see a jury letting off someone who obviously broke the law where I live. It is too early right now to make such predictions so I will wait for more information.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

She broke the law. She will have to pay a price.

I wish though that in the governments detailed declassified report, they should have made it more clear that Russia did hack voting machines if they had this information. Whether they changed votes or not, that still looks to not be proven.

What she thought she was providing that the people needed to know I'm not sure.

There is a fine line where when you are doing the public a favor by letting us know what is going on when the government is hiding things, and flat out breaking laws that actually hurt the country ala Snowden.

I'd be willing to bet though that she gets tarred and feathered by the White House and right wing media to set an example to others that might leak later on.

ElPigto likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good, I'm glad they caught her, she should spend a few decades behind bars for her actions.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I still think whistle blowers are necessary for a transparent government but I'm not sure if this instance qualifies as something to instill change in government rot.

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...secret-report-on-russian-hacking-efforts.html
    Does this suggest that the hack was into the voting machines? I don't believe it suggests that they rigged actual votes but did they still get into the machine's software? That could directly contradict some of Trump Tweets.

In terms of the link link, I think the extent of our judgement should be tabled until we know the full extent of this investigation. I believe a lot of government officials think this entire administration is illegitimate and can't be trusted based on evidence of Russian collusion and intelligence sharing. HOWEVER, we won't know until that information is out.

I highly doubt that all of you would feel the same way about leakers if it was about Hillary and she was president.

#9 Brando2101, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Leaking classified information is a crime. I don't know the specific information to know if would in any way qualify as whistle blowing.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure if this is really new info? I though it was already known, or assumed the Russian were hacking machine. I recall that local officials were contact of the hack (Florida, CA, NC came to mind as to who were contacted). I guess what wasn't known is some level of details and the security level of it.... but hacking was already reported AFAIK.

EDIT: This is what I was referring to: http://abcnews.go.com/US/russian-ha...-voter-registration-systems/story?id=42435822

I think they made public what they can and kept the other part secret...

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This guy can't possibly be serious.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/accused-intelligence-leakers-mom-shes-very-passionate

Patrick Toomey, an attorney at the ACLU’s National Security Project, took a different view and said the arrest could be a cause for concern.

“Leaks to journalists occur every day, as they have for decades, and are a vital source of information for the public in our democracy,” he said. “It would be deeply troubling if this prosecution marked the beginning of a draconian crackdown on leaks to the press by the Trump administration.”

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think the bigger question is with Russia hacking, does that leave the actual veracity election result in doubt?

Especially with the WH still pushing for pro-Russian relations.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/tillerson-us-russia-relationship/

To note, I lean towards that if there were actual REAL variance in the result, we'd hear about it by now. Which is ironic I know given the nature of the thread........

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The Voting machine software details were hacked and the NSA thinks this needs to be classified? The newspaper screwed her by giving the Pentagon the papers to catch her. There is no chance a jury would convict a pretty white girl.

15. Air Langhi

I think the exit polling seems to match the results.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Agree, which is why i dont think theres too much fire to the smoke

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

No big deal, huh? Actual charges but let's focus on Russia Rumors, right?

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually, its a big deal. First, because anyone leaking confidential information should be found out and (if guilty) prosecuted. And btw, the very guy the Trump supporters were touting is the same guy defending the woman accused of leaking.

And second... the information she leaked is also very important. Our election process is very core to the United States and the integrity of our government. Now that the information is out it needs to be carefully examined.

Both of this makes it a very cool story and one I will carefully follow.

Again, you seem to be so defensive of the "Russian Rumors": (and how anyone can simply dismiss them as "rumors" at this point is questionable) that you seem programmed to attack and defend. I understand it though... you supported and continue to support Trump. And on a daily basis, that support gets pummeled by more and more information and in some ways Trump's own actions. But you can choose to ignore it all... dismiss it all as "Russia Russia Russia" or you can look at the information as it comes out and then debate the information on its own merits.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

which would indicate that the voting machines were not hacked.

What about the 1000 man Russian operation to flood the USA media with fake news? What about the Russians hacking the DNC email accounts and leaking them to WikiLeaks in the last month of the election? It is impossible to say 100% that the Russians did or did not change the outcome of the of the election.

20. Air Langhi

They obviously did. That is why the NSA, FBI etc. keeping this kind of thing a secret is a big deal.