1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Nikki Haley has $52,000 curtains.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Sep 14, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You should read my post before you reach your conclusion. In fact if all voters didn't that instead of party politics this country wouldn't ****.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm reffering to the context of this story and your comparison to rent and curtains not your grudge with me as a poster.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, it's an official residence, so it's for work and apparently for entertaining foreign dignitaries. And we've been doing it for decades. It makes sense to do for ambassadors in foreign countries. You want their home to be essentially US soil so no one messes with your diplomats. And, maybe it's just that the Ambassador circuit is all accustomed to these official residences so of course the UN Ambassador would have one in New York. Or Ambassadors have come to see the residence as part of their compensation package. But it strikes me as pretty weird. You can find accommodations when you need to entertain. And they can go to a drab government building to get work done.

As for the costs, whatever. Its still the government's property, and these are high officials. I don't want the Ambassador from Sweden recognizing the curtains from the Ikea catalog.

Nook likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I see your point, and I agree the US ambassador should have a meeting area that reflects the importance of the office. Just as I believe the oval office should be stately and state of the art. I agree Haley should not be criticized for the rent or curtain costs and I was wrong to suggest otherwise.

6. ipaman

I'm referring to context, which you are clearly missing. Go read it an find out.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

It has to be because that would be insane to think that they are regular curtains.

9. ipaman

go ahead and say it... "because they were ordered when Obama and his UN Ambassador were in office"

c'mon just say it, you can do it!

10. biina

biina Member

Dont think Haley has done anything wrong.

While they claim its for security reasons and was ordered in 2016, it still is likely highly extravagant (if not corrupt) independent of who is in office (though republican often claim to be holier than thou).

Also why is the government renting the UN residence in NY when it would seem to make more financial sense to buy a permanent residence.

Guess the swamp things need their food

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz, I must be bored, making fun of D&D today. Do you guys really argue over this Twitter stuff that is meant to rile you up?

The same could be said for many US Ambassadors. They even have actual embassy's to work in. Why do any of them need a palatial residence, as well as the embassy.

Here's the Winfield House in England, residence of the US Ambassador to the UK, who already has an office in the Embassy, and could "find accommodations [in London] when s/he needs to entertain."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_House

[​IMG]

btw: wouldn't any "drab building" in Manhattan would be expensive, plus the additional events Tab you are suggesting for renting per occassion. $52k/mo (triple Net and care) for a suite of rooms to hold meetings, greet dignitaries, have events, house offices for staff, etc, in Manhattan, with requisite security apparatus, seems reasonable, no?

Nook and Exiled like this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'd like to see those drapes. Something is wrong when our tax dollars are spent this way. Don't most apartments already come with blinds?

14. conquistador#11

they love their handouts. I can't think of anything I'd spend 52,000 dollars for the house. A jacuzzi in the living room would only cost me $10,000

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

who is they? this was Samantha Power.

Astrodome likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

According to the NYT article, they're renting with an option to buy. They just vacated from the Waldorf Astoria, so it's reasonable I guess to take a few years to settle on a new permanent place.

Well, you are making me decidedly anti-diplomat. Now, we have career guys who intimately understand their host countries, and have skills in things relevant to diplomacy, probably. And some key ambassadorships go to talented people who have real work to do. But, a whole lot of ambassadorships are actually just political favors handed out to rich people who helped you become president. The Ambassador to Great Britain is Robert Wood Johnson, CEO of an asset management firm and later of the NY Jets. A very rich man who can buy his own damn mansion. I'm sure he is a very capable person, though he has no relevant experience. His biggest qualification is that he gave $1 million to the inauguration committee, which seems to be the primary vehicle for buying ambassadorships (btw, this is not a Trump thing. Obama gave out ambassadorships as political favors as did earlier presidents). Screw all these guys. It's essentially corruption in the plain light of day. And it's bad enough they're buying these cushy placements, but to have taxpayers maintain these fancy properties for their residences is too much. No political cadres in diplomacy, use professionals for christ's sake!

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol at clutchfans trying to make sense of Manhattan rents. Basic 3 bedroom in Turtle Bay averages nearly $15,000 / month. https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/mark...c-average-neighborhood-rents-march-2018/16202

And anyone who has ever had to order custom window treatments for a house or apartment, including installation, knows these things are expensive. We have a ground floor bathroom that needed inside shutters, that was well over $1000 for a single window opening, and we're nowhere near Manhattan.

I'm with HP on this one, you folks are cray cray

malakas and jcf like this.
  18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

NYT apologizes for the dishonest article.

FranchiseBlade, fchowd0311 and jcf like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THANKS OBAMA

20. dmoneybangbang

See the system works.