1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Wild Card Weekend

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 30, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yes, we all know that and it was a decade ago.

I was speaking in terms of Brees having some absolutely terrible performances in the playoffs since that Super Bowl win. Everyone get enamored with all his stat-padding and records breaking, but it has become very clear Brees is not an all-time great QB in the same breath as Brady and Manning who got it done in the playoffs throughout their careers. Thats what I mean by the new Marino reference.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Seattle wins tonight, we'll be the only home team not to lose on WC weekend. Pretty interesting.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are right. I'm surprised more teams don't do it. I don't agree with how Tenn did it, it worked out for them because they did get the stop but if they didn't...they would have been in immediate trouble.

But if you have a 10 point lead going into the 4th? Yea, it would be such a troll job to basically do this every time you don't score on a drive, just run out chunks of time.

A lot of guys don't think outside of the box, they just go straight ahead with what is conventionally done.

There are a lot of times in NFL games where the situation would say it is better to just let the other team score so that you could get the ball back with enough time to score again and control your own fate...but you never see it. Romo mentions it a lot throughout the year "I would let them score here..." but you just never see it. It is kind of amazing that this has only happened like 2x before yesterday.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, why not compare him to Favre then.... because each has one championship and is at the top (or near top) of all stats all time.... but both also played on teams that probably should/could have won more.

Marino was a Mahomes-like force early on... but he never really played on powerhouse teams beyond his lone SB appearance very early in his career. He's currently on the borderline of the top 10 QB's all-time (as recently published in the NFL 100 awards), but I could see him getting bumped once the careers of Brees/Rodgers/Roethlesberger officially end.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, this is basically it for me.

Sending it to a booth review does mean others get to look at it and that was taken from the Saints. I think OPI could have been called personally, I think the DB was RIGHT there and got pushed out of the play. Hopkins is a hand fighter, I know he's physical but that one is a bit more blatant to me.

It's not the reason the Saints lost the game, they put themselves in that position, but I do think in cases like this a review doesn't hurt.

6. Mr. Space City

They changed the rules for the saints, and they still lost

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Agreed maybe the Favre/Young comparison is a better example. I was just referencing Marino because he also had all the empty stats and records late in his career, but no playoff wins.

Also, like I said the Saints insufferable fanbase deserves this. Only a few week ago they were whining on social media why Brees was robbed from the NFL 100 All-Time list. Now, this performance and the last few playoffs proves why the selection committee left him off the list even with all his numbers and records.

Bottom line is Brees is overrated and going forward he deserves to be dropped from the discussion of elite winning QBs in this league.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The experts said New Orleans was one of the four elite playoff teams.

Experts said Minnesota was least likely NFC SB representative.

Then, the playoffs started.

Sajan and plutoblue11 like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's the playoffs and Wentz is hurt/not playing. :eek::rolleyes:;)

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Carson Wentz is made of Cheez Whiz... always injured and melting on Philly's bench.

Hakeemtheking and BigShasta like this.
  11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

while i agree, to some degree it almost felt like they were trying so hard to avoid the appearance of a make-up call that they didn't review something that would seem like an obvious play to review (i.e. the last play of a playoff game with clear contact going on).

12. francis 4 prez

wonder what brees/rodgers would have looked like with 20 years of belichick at their side. the way they already play is incredible. imagine them with the safety blanket of the patriots D/belichick's coaching making it so they basically never have to feel like they have to force anything or get out of their comfort zone. that you can win a superbowl with 13 points. or lead a comeback knowing the other team just probably isn't going to score again. or that you kicker will never miss an important kick (over 2 different kickers). feels like rodgers in particular would never lose but brees would have 4 or 5 minimum as well.

BigM and clutchdabear like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dirty hit by clowney tho

AleksandarN likes this.
  14. francis 4 prez

i think brady's numbers in the playoff weren't really that good after their initial run of 3 super bowls (where brady was less prolific than the brady we think of today). he definitely had some bad moments for like a good 7 or 8 year stretch. if not for the patriots/belichick just being such a juggernaut that kept an amazing team around him for all 20 years, maybe he plays on some more mediocre teams these last few years of his career and we remember more of the struggles after the initial greatness. but since belichick was able to keep it going, he essentially got a second act to come back and sort of erase those struggles from our memories.

and as much as i liked manning, it's not like he avoided terrible playoff performances (although getting to a super bowl with 4 different coaches is pretty crazy).

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. francis 4 prez

lol, how did the rule change help the saints?

BigShasta likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Watch it from a different angle. The angle in the video you posted definitely seemed like nothing, but from other angles (camera behind Rudolph), it wasn't hand-fighting. It was Rudolph clearly pushing off.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the Eagles dont jump the Texans to take Andre Dillard ... Brian Gaine doesnt get fired.

If Brian Gaine doesnt get fired , he doesnt trade Clowney.

If Gaine doesnt trade Clowney, Clowney doesnt take a cheap shot on Wentz.

You made this bed Philly, deal with it.

18. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

This was highly impressive. Take this like

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Major

Major Member

It's not like losses are Brees fault or from him playing poorly.

This year, he got them a game tying FG in the last seconds of the game.
    Last year, he got them a game tying FG in the last seconds of the game (with the missed PI potentially getting them a TD opportunity).
    2 years ago, he got them a lead with a TD with 3 minutes and then again with a FG with 25 seconds before the 61 yard TD on the last play.

He also won playoff games in both of those previous years and nearly made a Superbowl. Who are all the elite winning QBs in the league who are better?