1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Owners Discussions on national anthem policy

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by edwardc, May 22, 2018.

?

Which policy would be best for all

1. Allow each team to implement its own policy

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Clear the field of all football personnel while the anthem is played

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Instruct players who don't want to stand to remain in the locker room while the anthem is played

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Impose penalties on teams and players who do not stand, including a 15-yard penalty and/or fines

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. Add contract language that requires players to stand

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. Leave the current policy in place

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MystikArkitect

Just have the players not be on the field if they’re going to be fined. Basically the same thing. Just wait in the locker room while the fake bravado and patriotism is over, the news will shoot video of them inside the locker room *anyway* so who cares.

**** the NFL.

ferrari77 likes this.
  2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Bring on the XFL and others. The door has been kicked wide open.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

This whole thing has become pointless and stupid. Kneelers are just doing it because they are being told not to. The whole reason behind it has been completely lost.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

The NFL brought this on themselves, all they had to do was not televise the kneelers like they do if a stripper runs out onto the field. Never thought I could live without my football but they made it pretty easy with all the bs rules and protests.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I do love all the people who think/hope that the XFL will actually last. It's cute.

REEKO_HTOWN and MadMax like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

The NFL doesn't even televise the national anthem (or players running onto the field, etc), at least for their Sunday afternoon games. The telecasts basically start at kickoff. At most, it would be the Sunday night and Monday night games, though I'm not sure what is shown there. It's amusing that protests before a game stopped you from watching a game (well, that or them trying to have people not suffer long-term brain injuries). And that you think this opens the door for the XFL.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ok so you support political flag football, I get it.

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

Mcmahon is about making money and he knows there’s a market. Now as far as it succeeding? Well...Which is why I said others. The USFL in todays market would be killin it, damn I miss the Gamblers.

9. Buck Turgidson

It will be a complete joke. Sorry.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I find it somewhat hypocritical that the majority of the people who r "upset" at nfl players kneeling at the national anthem are the same people who fiercely defends Trump for being patriotic and support his actions with Russia. Kinda sad to see that there's more outrage at players kneeling than the president actions towards Russia

11. Buck Turgidson

Red meat for the red states.

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

TDS is far reaching but that subject should stay in the D&D.:D

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The NFL isn't televising the protesters. The media does.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

I understand it’s the Networks that televise it. Does each Network decide individually to cover or not cover a person that runs onto field? Just curious.

#54 mick fry, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...n_t_tv_networks_show_idiots_on_the_field.html

According to this article, it isn't policy even, just something that has been decided as the industry norm. Right now the majority of games are only showing National Anthem because of the controversy. Trump has kept it prominent (and the NFL did itself no favors creating a policy then taking it back), so expect it to continue in 2018.

The NFL sucks. They can't take a stand one way or another on anything. They waffle on every issue trying to please everybody and instead piss off everybody. You've got people on both sides boycotting the NFL.

mick fry likes this.
  16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The XFL will dominate the ratings over the NFL. Mark my words. XFL will be next big American sport, and will succeed better world wide.... XFL >>>NFL>>>NBA

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not sure if serious

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

If the XFL will tone down the hyperbole and avoid excessive sensationalism (sort ot the same thing) and focus on the quality of football, I think the timing is perfect. I loved the USFL. That is the model they need to follow. On the other hand, I think full contact football is a dying sport. It will all be some sort of electronic tag football in the not so distant future. The way the human head is attached to the body is not conducive to the kind of hits created by huge people running at full speed. Everyone that has played football has a cervical spine that looks like a banana.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The XFL should only televise the anthem.

20. Buck Turgidson

And God Bless America. And America the Beautiful. And Little Pink Houses. And Lee Greenwood. And Battle Hymn of the Republic. And This Land is Your Land, And.....

DonnyMost likes this.