1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[News] (What Agreements??) RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTRY ‘READY’ TO IMPLEMENT PUTIN-TRUMP SECURITY AGREEM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-de...ement-putin-trump-security-agreements-1028922

RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTRY ‘READY’ TO IMPLEMENT PUTIN-TRUMP SECURITY AGREEMENTS

The Russian military has announced that it is “ready” to implement “international security” agreements reached by U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin in a Helsinki summit on Monday.

"The Russian Defense Ministry is ready for practical implementation of the agreements in the sphere of international security,” ministry spokesperson Igor Konashenkov said Tuesday, according to Russian news agency Tass. He added that Russia is “ready to enliven contact with the U.S. colleagues, between our General Staffs and via other communication channels.”

Konashenkov specifically referenced the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), cooperation in Syria and “other issues” regarding military security.

I was first signed in July 1991 between the former Soviet Union and the U.S. It entered into force in 1994, aiming to regulate both powers strategic offensive arms through limitations and reduction.

When it comes to the Syrian conflict, Trump and Putin appeared aligned in their press conference, signaling a stark reversal of U.S. policy that has long called for the removal of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

As for the “other issues,” many in Washington have raised alarm bells about the president’s readiness to cozy up to Moscow. Following his closed-door meeting with Putin, Trump suggested that he trusts the words of the Russian president over his own intelligence services. Dismissing the fact that 17 federal and military intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential election, Trump said Putin had assured him this was not true.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/17/politics/trump-putin-russia-claim-military-agreements/index.html

US offers no details as Russia claims Trump and Putin reached military agreements

Washington (CNN)Russia announced it was ready to pursue agreements reached by Presidents Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump "in the sphere of international security," though the White House and Pentagon would not confirm any agreements had been made or offer any details.

Trump and Putin met for about two hours during their summit in Helsinki with only translators present. It is still not clear what the two men discussed or agreed to during their meeting.
    "The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation is ready for practical implementation of the agreements reached between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump in the sphere of international security achieved at the Helsinki summit," Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, a Russian military spokesman, said in a statement Tuesday.
    The Russian military "is ready to intensify contacts with the US colleagues in the General Staff and other available channels to discuss the extension of the START treaty, cooperation in Syria, as well as other issues of ensuring military security," Konashenkov said.

[​IMG]

Trump, facing fury, says he misspoke with Putin

The National Security Council would not confirm what Trump had agreed to in the one-on-one with Putin. A spokesman for the NSC told CNN on Tuesday that they were still "reviewing the discussion."
    "The Helsinki summit was the beginning of a process between the United States and Russia to reduce tensions and advance areas of cooperation in our mutual interest," the spokesman said. "We are reviewing the discussion between President Trump and President Putin, considering possible next steps, and have nothing further to announce at this time."
    The Pentagon declined to comment.
    Trump's Helsinki press conference with Putin, and his endorsement of the Russian President over his own intelligence services, has fed outrage and concern about Trump's motivations, as well as what transpired during the closed-door session. Those concerns are now yielding calls in Congress for Trump's translator to appear before lawmakers.

SSSSOoooooooOOOOoooo . . . What did we agree too?

Rocket River

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Congress has to demand a complete and full briefing by trump and state and intell leadership on what was discussed during the meetings with putin. One reason why subpoenaing the interpreter has been mentioned... many people don't trust what trump may report.

REEKO_HTOWN and tmoney1101 like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hard to imagine Congress doing that. It would hurt them in the upcoming elections if they let this mushroom.

Nook likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

Russia is just toying with the U.S very well knowing that the american people and 'leaders' have no idea what was talked about behind closed doors. They will keep taking subtle shots. It puts pressure on Trump and it also causes uncertainty for both Right &Left.

#4 conquistador#11, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Nook, heypartner and JeffB like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I can't believe Trump was allowed to be in the room alone with Putin in the first place. He got something out of him. 2 hours with Trump's stream of consciousness... Putin probably got everything he wanted.

tmoney1101, JeffB and edwardc like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And Putin's a trained master manipulator. He probably even has key words he can now utter to Trump a la Winter Soldier. LOL and SMDH.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems like Putin is putting the screws to Trump. Trump needs to either push back on the assertion there is any agreement or else explain what the agreements are. And somehow I don't expect Trump to push back on Vladimir Putin, but I also expect a lot of reticence on explaining the full nature of agreements. I feel very uneasy about this whole thing. Congress should have moved quickly to impeach because I fear this president will do very bad things.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

well... was this a part of the agreement? SMH

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

What a useful clown trump has turned out to be for putin.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Putin have nothing on Trump, he said so himself.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My first response to this is to think this is Putin giving Trump, FoxNews, and the GOP some "evidence" to claim it is the Democrats who are the corrupt ones while, at the same time, trying to put key critics on their heels. It all reeks of B.S. to help the useful idiot in a propaganda campaign to claim the "deep state" is out to get Trump.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. B-Bob

ding ding ding. chicken dinner for you.

What else would the dotard have to talk about for two hours? International politics? ROFLMAO.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You do realize Trump has not arguably but practically been harder on Putin than Obama with just Syrian air strikes alone

I love Obama. He got duped in Syria

14. JuanValdez

We have all but surrendered our interests in Syria. Syria during Obama had been a proxy war between the US supporting democratic reform and Russia supporting Assad. Then ISIS came on and we had a common enemy, but we were still working to unseat Assad and Russia was still working to keep Assad in power. Russia has been winning this fight for a long time, and it is one of the sadder chapters of the Obama presidency. However, to say Trump has been hard on Russia in Syria makes no sense to me. The effort has been on deconfliction and staying out of each other's way. When was the last time Trump said "Assad must go"? Probably next time will be the first. Once ISIS is cleaned up, Assad's power will be clinched and Syria will be ceded to the Russian sphere of influence. I won't even suggest it's a bad plan. But, how is that being hard on Russia?

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im saying through the air strikes we have been tougher.

Youre right Trump would rather just leave there, i don't disagree so its more of a mixed signal

16. conquistador#11

If we can Just add up the money lost due to the sanctions enforced by the obama administration, we can figure out who's been tougher. Basically crippled a lot of their legit cash flow.
    I'm no math genius but I bet the amount lost is scrooge mcduck money

When Putin was paying the Clintons to do "speeches", Putin envisioned happy times with Hilary. Nobody is going to pay the clintons because they can motivate a crowd of ruskies. At that time, Hilary was against any sanctions. From what we know about putin and all his amigos world wide, he'd rather have a leftist. Trump continues to be that round really round orange peg that doesn't fit.

As it turns out, no North american leftist was/is willing to turn the blind eye and let Putin do what he does best, reshape the map.

so any Will Huntings, if y'all are listening, please calculate the $ lost due to those sanctions. I'll give you a like! it will be a tremendous like.

#16 conquistador#11, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have recently been accused in here of trolling. The post on Syrian air strikes was a bit of a talking point repeat troll.

On Syria i really feel like we should just let the Russians waste time and resources there.

We cant fix stupid middle east 1500 year old disputes. The only thing that can solve that situation is the locals getting tired of the stupid death.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

Still no word. According to the Russian Defense Ministry's statement, there's work to do on (1) START treaty, (2) Cooperating in Syria, and (3) other issues ensuring military security. Trump indicated in a tweet that (4) Russia also promised to help with North Korea, with Russia's official paper saying Russia would hold a summit with North Korea.

Happy to have more work on START, which expires in 2021. It has an option to renew for 5 years, though Trump has criticized the deal in the past. On Syria, I don't know why they hell we would cooperate in any way. Syria is Russia's now. If there are IS forces to fight, let them do it, just get the hell out if we're not fighting to win. On North Korea, I don't know what Russia's role is supposed to be. I thought our position was supposed to be 'give up your nukes or else.' Then we decided to give some concessions, like not running exercises with South Korea. Did we promise to send Russia to give more concessions? Russia has been North Korea's best friend, helping them skirt sanctions by laundering their coal. Forgive me if I'm not too comfortable when Putin and his subs, Trump and Kim, all get together.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Putin probably hypnotized Trump in their one-on-one and is the only one who can release him.

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. B-Bob

I know you're joking, but...