1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Horizons- Pluto or bust

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, I joined only 3 months or so before you and was excited that someone here shared the same love for science and the exploration of space that I did. I was the 2nd reply to your OP, and I want to thank you for starting what has become a most remarkable thread. With more stunning scientific discoveries to come from this small spacecraft busy examining the outer reaches of our solar system and its immediate environs, who knows what awaits us? Pluto and its moons turned out to be nothing like NASA, the team at John Hopkins, and scientists around the world had hypothesized only a short time before.

I hope @B-Bob returns for the New Years Day flyby and the discoveries that New Horizons will find and gradually tell us about, even if it's just for that. He's an actual scientist and educator who has a sense of humor, the sense of humor probably not as rare among that community as people might think, but he our funny scientist educator guy. :cool:

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

I've been counting up to this moment, just to be differential.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Pluto was such an amazing surprise I hope this new object turns out to be really weird. That NASA was able to find a new target for the probe years after launch and direct it with the fuel sitting on empty is a huge accomplishment on its own.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very cool. I had forgotten about this flyby and glad I happened to check in on Clutchfans to be reminded of it.
    Given how surprising Pluto and it's moon system was I'm expected some surprises out of this.
    One personal note as I've been travelling I've been thinking a lot about issues like Globalization and the crisis with democracy we're seeing around the World. Things like this really put it into perspective how tiny our world is and how little it matters to the vast mystery that is all around us. We really are just a pale blue dot even in our own cosmic neighborhood.

boomboom and Deckard like this.
  5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

6. KingCheetah

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@KingCheetah, the above was from your Dec 24th post. Any update from them on whether the "precise navigation" worked ... wrt "we might get it, and we might not."

8. KingCheetah

I haven't read that they are having any problems, but I believe they won't know for sure until the data is received.

theimpossibles1 and heypartner like this.
  9. theimpossibles1

I want to know now!!!

Can't they just send a tech out so we know for sure? C'mon NASA!

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don’t think they’ll know until around 9:30am Central time today.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don’t think they’ll know until around 9:30am Central time today.

12. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I'm very excited about that.

I've been a space "nerd" since childhood and it's always exciting to hear about something new and special.

I'm hoping that today a new year will bring new promises in the field of space.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So far, the pics look like a blurry Mr. Peanut floating in space. :D

Deckard likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Need pics.

And holy crap, does @Deckard have one of these? BBS gofundme to get him one? Showed up in the ads at the bottom of the page.

[​IMG]

#134 Buck Turgidson, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

16. theimpossibles1

It's ridiculous how excited I am for these pics.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The best images won't be available until next month, probably. Sometime tomorrow, another few-thousand pixel image should be ready by around 1pm Central, as I understand it. The data that is being sent back takes over 6 hours to get back to earth and then it's being transmitted at around 500 bits per second. lol. Megapixel-class images may not be available until next month.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hi, @Deckard, pals.
    Has anyone else been humming "Ultima Thule for your stockings, I believe"?
    Anyway, I'm not the one to give much insight into this mission, even though I think it's really cool to take in. I think the presumed age of the thing makes its composition (probably more than its weird shape) potentially very interesting for those scientists trying to figure out how the early solar system evolved.

Don't sleep on the other mission, the asteroid one, that just achieved a 1-mile parking orbit. That's a new record!
    More on Osiris-Rex, looking at an asteroid that could one day threaten earth (unlikely but not impossible).

jcf, Deckard and theimpossibles1 like this.
  19. theimpossibles1

[​IMG]

20. theimpossibles1

It'd be funny if it looked like a big wang.

#140 theimpossibles1, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019