1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

networking help please!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by getsmartnow, Jun 25, 2010.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Hi folks, was looking to get some help with my wireless home network.

At home I've got a working wireless network (my PC and my room-mates laptop). But my Macbook just can't connect to it for some reason. Whenever I try to connect, it times out and then kicks the PC and laptop off the network. I've been through all the network setting on the Mac and on the Modem Router, and can't figure this thing out.

We've got a NetComm ADSL2+ Modem Router, and I've been all over their website trying to find an answer, and it just leads me to dead ends. Help Clutchfans! Don't make me call the service centre (India!).

The sad thing was I worked in IT 10 years ago (help desk), and now I can't do basic things like figure this out! Argghh! :mad:

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Has your MacBook ever connected wirelessly to any router?

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I have a similar problem...I just recently got a cable modem and my buddy gave me his cable router, but question is, is there such thing as a cable router? I mean, can't I use any router once I connect the ethernet cable? For example, I let my g/f "borrow" my old ATT DSL 2wire modem/router...She uses Clear and the Fry's guy told me I couldn't use it so I bought a router...anyway, I was curious and hooked up the 2wire and what do you know it works...So it got me to thinking shouldnt I be able to use any router on any modem?

Also, the "cable router" my buddy has is secured, but we don't know the password...IF I reset it and get back to factory settings, will the computer/router automatically obtain the IP settings? that way I can create a password for access.

Lastly, if my cable modem is "secured", meaning only whoever direct connects can use it, if I use a router to split the signal, and I don't put a password, does that mean it's unsecured and everyone can use it,even though my modem is secured?

thanks in advance...

4. bobrek

You SHOULD be able to use any router, but some companies want you to use their routers. If your store bought router has a problem, the company will probably blame the router and not provide you with support.

Resetting a router generally restes the password to factory specs (usually 'password' or 'admin').

Assuming your router is for wireless, once you use a router to broadcast your signal, yoru network becomes unsecured. You would need to set up a password to ensure other folks don;t bogart your signal. You can also set it up to not broadcast your network name which makes it a bit more difficult for poachers.

5. rrj_gamz

Thanks for the info...one last question, if the router resets my Password, will it automatically pick up the IP info from my desktop, or do I have to key it in?

6. bobrek

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Your router would be attached to your cable modem and pull the network info from there. It will then distribute (via DHCP) IP address to all the devices that may be connecting. It should do that automatically. If you are setting static IP addresses to various devices (I do this in order to use remote desktop connection to access my PC from otehr PCs) then you would have to re-enter those via the router.

7. rrj_gamz

gotcha...sound like its automatic as the router/modem will be connected straight to my desktop...thanks again...

8. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Yeah, I can connect anywhere else....my parents place, uni, etc... It's just this router at home I can't connect to.