1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Norm Macdonald has a show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 11, 2018.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is very little wrong with what Norm said, you dirty bum r****ds.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This guy gets it...lol

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

People are tiring of maximum-PC-always. And it's so bad you have to actually qualify yourself as anti-rape just to say hey, why don't we calm down and start doing a better job of verifying what happened. You have to explain yourself. Is this the world we want to live in? Where jokes cannot be told? MISTAKES cannot be made? Where perfectly valid points aren't even heard because they don't meet or exceed the ridiculous levels of emotion put forth by righteous hypocrites? I know I'm tired of it. The moron president we have is nothing if not tangible proof that people are tiring of the condescending tone. People are tired of maximum-level emotional appeals. People are tired of having to say "I don't condone rape, but..." to make perfectly valid points. People can't even go talk about NORM MACDONALD

Anyway, the show is hilarious. Norm is one of my favorite comedians ever and it's not because his jokes are particularly funny...HE is just a funny guy. His voice and inflection and mannerisms and off-the-wall bits... he's just funny.

Looking forward to season 2.

jcf likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have no problem with people thinking things are too pc, not pc enough, or just right. Or to think of comedians and jokes a bit differently.

I suspect not many people know what he actually did. From the article:

I didn't listen to it, so maybe this was said in a joking kind of way?? Not sure how... basically... it's not like he's telling a joke.

He's just literally saying, good thing this movement is slowing down and isn't it sad what these two comedians have had to go through?? Bear in mind, Louis CK used all his power of position to treat women in a way that if it was my daughter, there'd be a real f'ing problem going down if you know what I mean... but, sure... isn't it hilarious?!?!?! look at what happened to Louis CK... so so sad, lol.

But, worse than that, he doubled down with idiocy

Again, maybe live it was funny in some way. Maybe...

Not surprisingly, he apologized pretty quickly:

Well, Norm, it did sound like you were minimizing the pain the actual victims feel, because that's exactly what you were doing? And you "probably" are a "good guy"... but so was Louis CK. Frankly, us fans have no f'ing clue. Based on this incident, while you're still "probably" and "good guy", you're also very potentially not.

All in all... I find Norm absolutely freaking hilarious. Like beyond funny. So I'm saddened by this episode... and that has nothing to do with being overly pc... it has to do with Norm saying some truly dumb ****.

OR... as I noted, purposefully dumb **** to get people talking, also a possibility.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Norm is my spirit animal. Cringed at his insanely tone-deaf comments, but understood his sympathy for his ****-up friends. New show is ok. Hope it gets weirder. I was a dedicated fan of Norm Macdonald Live.

Enjoy this supercut of Norm being hilariously unable to shill for his sponsors:

6. theimpossibles1

Great show. Extremely unorganized and clearly they just make it up as they go. Norm has one or two amazing jokes each episode. The "fly on the wall" joke in Chevy Chase episode had me dying.

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

you can get this and more on the I'm Not Norm youtube channel.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think Norm has some obvious cognitive thing going on, maybe age but most likely just heavy drug use. That and he’s trying to crack jokes. I’ve told some jokes I actually regret because they were hurtful instead of taken lightly. It happens. That clip of him on the view is reasonable, he balked on the word r****ded and still said something stupid. I get that, I do that all the time. I curse a lot but around certain people I try not to...sometimes that inner limitation becomes stuttering and incomplete thoughts or i end up saying something differently than I normally would’ve expressed that doesn’t have the exact same meaning.

I think he was trying to say, though the metooing has brought the issue up to the forefront it has also lead to more false claims, more damning of innocent men, less forgiveness, etc. he didn’t say that. I get it, but I think that was his point before it got filtered through an old drug ridden mind trying to make a joke out of it.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He looked genuinely contrite in the View interview I posted.

I didn't hear the original interview, but he added Roseanne to the discussion. He said the two were his good friends and couldn't understand what they went through in terms of having their lives upended.

Even if I disagree with his take on CK in terms of "being punished enough" to warrant a comeback, he has bias and loyalty to Louis that an casual fan wouldn't have.

I think his explanation on down syndrome bring a throwaway replacement for the r word to mean extremely stupid could've gone ugly, but the man is a old comedian. Just watching Seinfeld in comedians in cars has moments of tone deafness in terms of gender equality and gays.

Doesn't mean they're evil or mean spirited or even defiant about it. It was funny and worked for them during their heyday... Does that mean the audience at the time just died off or completely changed the way they think about those things that weren't considered offensive before?

How about we save the energy for people who actually do shitty things?

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

he actually addresses this in The View interview posted above.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I watched the first 3 episodes. It's not a great show, and I like his stuff usually. It's weird because it's like he's trying too hard to not be his normal self - which is what I came here to see.

Maybe Eric Andre had me spoiled.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I enjoyed the new show. The Drew Barrymore and Jane Fonda episodes were the best. Chevy Chase show wasn't that good, but that is mainly because of how sad it is to see Chevy Chase as a broken down, unfunny, and sort of an angry old man.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I saw the first 3 episode last night but I was fairly high off my ass when watching and kept cracking up. I love Norm but will have to see if I am cracking up just as much sober lol.