1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Narcos season 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Sep 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why can't we just watch this dang show or any other show "based on true events" for what it is, even if they change a few things here and there? Of course a lot of that wasn't how it went down. A lot of this stuff would look boring if they didn't sensationalize it or took some things out. Come on, now, it's a show for TV, they have to make it look 'attractive' to keep us glued. :cool:

2. ptR91

ptR91 Member

like others said, was iffy without escobar, but season 3 was really good. great build up in the beginning then Sh!!777 goes down!!

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Regarding season 4:
    The Hollywood Reporter asked Newman if season 4 would continue the story of Colombia and the Cali Cartel or move on to Mexico and El Chapo. In 2016, he told the entertainment site that this was not yet determined. He pointed out that El Chapo was already involved in drug cartels in 1985, when season 2 ends. “While season 3 would feature Cali cartel and their sophisticated network, the next season is believed to be the Mexican cartel,” reports itechpost. This has not been definitively confirmed by the show’s creators, however.

TMac'n likes this.
  4. cebu

cebu Member

I think Narcos 3 has its own interesting storyline.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just finished the season. I liked it better than the first two seasons. I'm sure Pena will be back for Season 4 or they'll find an adequate substitute. I had a few very minor gripes overall that didn't affect the storyline. It mostly has to do with the Jorge storyline. Like when Jorge planted the pager on his tortured friend, don't you think the Cartel would have checked his clothing for anything before chaining him? They saw Jorge go up to grab him just seconds before the pager buzzes off. I'd think deductively, they'd realize he was just planted with a pager by Jorge if they really thought it out.

Secondarily, I don't think it'd be tough to figure out who the rat was during the 10th floor condo raid. Jorge was the only person in the kitchen with the other security guy that was cooking. Since the security guy had his hands full cooking, that leaves Jorge as the only person that could have silenced the radio in the kitchen. These are very minor gripes though. It could just as easily be reasoned that they're stupid thugs that overlook these things. I just don't think it'd take a rocket scientist to figure out those situations is all. The scene where Jorge saves the Pallamiro family has already been mentioned as well that sort of discredits the realistic elements of the show but again it's a minor gripe to me. All in all, I thought it was better executed than the first two seasons.

If Pena doesn't come back for Season 4, I think the show would survive with new DEA agents. I'm sure Pena isn't the only DEA agent in history to be integral in stopping organized crime. There's plenty of good actors and I'm sure good real DEA agents to take inspiration from in future storylines.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

According to biography.com , Peña worked for the DEA for two more decades after Escobar was killed. But was not in Mexico (although he may have done some work through Texas). I like Pedro Pascal's work in the series, so it would suck to not see him in it next season

https://www.biography.com/people/javier-pena-111615

7. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Are there less subtitles this season? I'm a distracted watcher so when there are subtitles i end up missing a lot haha.

8. AB423

AB423 Member

Everyone loves a badass and I think that is just it.

I was talking to my taxi driver about Escobar and the show Narcos and he said he hates the show because it is a bunch of lies. He also said I could visit Escobars right hand man and talk to him but I said I'll pass on that.

9. prohibido

prohibido Member

If he's talking about Popeye, then yes, you could meet him. But I would probably pass on that, too.

The only real lie that I ever noticed was their weird decision to use a Brazilian to play Escobar. Moura's accent was nowhere close to a paisa accent and if that continually annoyed me I can only imagine what the average paisa might think. Hell, I know gringos with more of a paisa accent than Moura had.

And I should say, I'm interested in Escobar in so far as I'm interested in Latin American history and in the narco business in general. I have no interest in any sort of Escobar tour. I've spent an awful lot of time in Medellin and it has never once occurred to me to wander over to where he was killed, for example. Also, his group had its business offices in an architecturally interesting building that the government has basically allowed to ruin, and although that building is a lot closer to where I always spend time than the site of his death, I've never gone over there, either.

I'm not discouraging you or anyone else from pursuing your interest in any way you like, of course, just mentioning for no particularly good reason that my own interests do not draw me in that direction.

Which reminds me, a couple of years ago I read At the Devil's Table which is an account of Jorge Salcedo's involvement in the Cali cartel and certainly recommended to anyone who finishes the series and wants to know more.

10. ths balla

ths balla Member

Who was Popeye played by on the show?

11. prohibido

prohibido Member

There wasn't an exact analog. Popeye was Escobar's main hitman. The character Limon was based on a real person other than Popeye so I don't know if there was any overlap in their actual stories or not.

The reason I surmised that the person the cab driver referred to might be Popeye is because he is alive and out of prison and sort of counterintuitively making a bit of a spectacle of himself in public these days.

12. cebu

cebu Member

sounds like you enjoy more by watching Pascal's face.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

cebu likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

so the cali cartel was like the 1999 rams? short lived but memorable. I thought Gabriel was a fine guy. He just wanted to surrender,retire and go legit, spend his days with multiple wives. Isn't that the dream. Pacho too, great guy had pizzazz . I couldn't stand the other two brothers and their kids.. bunch of savages.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you call 1977-1998 short lived, then yes.

16. Poloshirtbandit

Seems like there was a bit more English than the first two seasons. I'm the same way.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Sajan likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Steam won't die if we're discussing drug trade.

I'm not sure what time period they are going into with Season 4, but there's two possibilities. Making a season 5 possible.

Season 1 was the best, Season 2 worst, this was in between. I want more nitty gritty on the actual operation of the Cali cartel. From what I read, they had the mafia on their payroll. Not the other way around, They had Russian spies, too. I wanted to know more about them from a character standpoint. In season 1, I liked how we learned how Pablo bribes, how he's thinking of putting cocaine in the wheels, making ladies swallow cocaine to transport, etc. I wanted to hear some of the operational stuff, as opposed to just the chase.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Just letting everyone here know that I'm dating the girl now that asked for protection during the last episode.

She begs for it daily.

Sajan likes this.