1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NerdWallet] Houston 2nd most affordable among fastest growing cities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hands up, don't shoot. Just the messenger.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Houston, especially Greater Houston metro, is less expensive, more accessible and more affordable than New York City. Commuting and fuel costs pay themselves back because less congestion means you can live farther and be completely insulated from any premium housing costs in Houston. And their average rent number for New York City is suspect.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The city so brown, it's mall just shut down.

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

So the cost to commute is this article's argument for less affordability? Please....

Living in Long Island, Yonkers, or somewhere on the New Jersey side and commuting into Manhattan via public transport costs well over $25 a day round trip. If you drove in the parking is like $25 itself at minimum in NYC, then add in whatever gas it took to drive

I travel into downtown via park & ride bus and its $4.50 each way, grand total of $9 per day. On top of that, my employer fully subsidizes my bus transit so I ride for free. And then I telecommute when I want. If I drive into the office it would be approximately $8/day for gas and then I would have to pay for parking which ranges from $5 to $12. Mileage wise, it's about 40 miles round trip per day. So again, much cheaper.

I understand this is my situation, and others maybe different. But absolutley no way is commuting cheaper in NYC than it is in Houston

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

How many people in NY are paying high rent just to live in some closet with no backyard?

there is way more bang for your buck in Houston

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texas has more buck-bang because Texas is inferior to some places.