1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Salary Cap For 17-18 Drops From One-Time Projection Of $108M All The Way Down To $99M

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Jun 21, 2017.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Why are there even Max Salaries? In any other profession this would be absurd.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The low playoff revenue may be a recurring issue if the Warriors keep their core intact and the Cavs are able to get Paul George. And who knows what'll happen during the regular season if the Finals matchup is a foregone conclusion even before training camp(like it was last season).

With regard to the Warriors, can they really keep their key free agents with this lower cap threshold? I always figured McGee was gone since he's gonna get a fat contract offer from someone. But what about Livingston and Iggy? They can't possibly keep those two(not to mention Zaza, West, and Ian Clark) AND resign Curry and Durant to max(or near max) deals, right?

I don't know. If I'm Morey, maybe I don't gut this team trying to get some big name free agent. Maybe I sit back and leave this core intact(except for maybe Anderson) and hope that age finally does in the Spurs and free agent defections weaken the Warriors.

malakas likes this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Who is going to be dumb enough to pay mcgee. They made that mistake once.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

someone will pay him like 2 years / 14-15 mill.

5. 1Deep

1Deep Member

So dumping a bad contract like Anderson's just got more difficult?

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You kidding? Timofey Mozgov got 4 years, $64 million from the Lakers last summer. I could easily see McGee getting 2-3 years, 8-10 mil per. And the Warriors will never match that even though he gave them good minutes last season.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

July 1.

malakas and Vivi like this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Still one 9 too many.

Cap should be down to $9 million.

csj likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Warriors ruin everything! oh and I guess the Cavs too. They couldn't drop a few on the way???

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's interesting, it was in the player's best interest to extend each series to as many games as possible. So the players were incentivized to lose games on behalf of the players union. I'm sure that did not go unrealized.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a good question, honestly.

However the NBA is essentially a big corporation. If you've ever worked or interviewed with a corporation, you know they like to set salary bands depending on your 'level' in the workplace as a way to keep things equitable for everyone and keep some constraints on negotiations. I don't know exactly what the NBA gets from this, though; I'm guessing there's some concern on the executive side about negotiations and hold-outs running wild if you don't have a cap on things?

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So it doesn't become as much of a competition between owners' wallets?

14. malakas

malakas Member

Max salaries are there to help compeition so it isn't a free market and just the most wealthy won all the time like in Europe, and also to give some money to the roleplayers. Otherwise the superstars would get 50+ million per year, and the roleplayers would get 1-2 millions. The cba rules are voted also by the players union and most members of that union are roleplayers and scrubs.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So in other news, the rich get richer now. Gotta love the NBA.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And all our pretty good contracts are going to look that much more enticing.

I'm looking at you Pat and Trevor.

17. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'm so happy for the NBA and Adam Silver right now. On account of Warriors and Cavs dominating the playoffs, the projected cap dropped $2 million from 101 to 99 in the matter of months. That's a revenue loss of $60 million with all 30 teams factored in.

Hooray for superteams!

BigShasta likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I was told the Warriors blowing everybody out was good for the NBA though?

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The easy answer is the NBA is not like other professions and the quality of the product the NBA is selling in all but a few locations would be lessened with the lack of a salary cap.