1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Playoffs: 1-16 Format (Discussion & Possibility)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Oct 9, 2017.

?

Do you want the NBA to change the playoffs seeding format to 1-16?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. da_juice

da_juice Member

It obviously wouldn't play out like this every year, but the only real travel disadvantage is Boston-Portland. Even the other matchups that are a West v. East team, the distance isn't too far

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

1-16 seeds just doesn't sound right. I love the tradition of having two conferences and I already hated the idea of scrapping conferences in the all star game. Plus we play an unbalanced schedule that would be really tough to fix.

3. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

"This concept would still allow for an East-West balance in postseason representation. It would also not require a rebalancing of the schedule"

Except the schedule DOES need to be rebalanced, otherwise the better East teams will beat up on the worse ones, inflating their records and having a higher seed than their West counterparts.

I get why divisions and conferences still exist, but it's 2018 now and the focus needs to be on competition, not on tradition that was established in the days where transportation wasn't as efficient. The game needs to continue to evolve, and I believe this is naturally the next step.

bilaal14 likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Morkey just tweeted that he wants the top seed to pick their opponent. That would be cool.

(I'm an old and don't know how to embed tweets.)

BigShasta likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

wow looking at those interesting matchups that i would love to watch 7 games of.
    NOT.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

LerBon: [​IMG] PLEASE do not re-seed the playoffs 1-16!

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- Fresh off being named MVP of the NBA All-Star Game played in a reimagined format that seemingly reinvigorated the February festivities, LeBron James urged the league to pump the brakes when it comes to potential changes to the playoffs.

"It's cool to mess around with the All-Star Game -- we proved you can do that -- but let's not get too crazy about the playoffs," James said after Cleveland Cavaliers practice Wednesday. "You have Eastern Conference and you have Western Conference. You have Eastern Conference champions, you have guys from the Eastern Conference that win the big dance and sometimes you have it from the West as well."

During NBA commissioner Adam Silver's annual All-Star news conference in Los Angeles over the weekend, Silver revealed he is weighing the merits of adjusting the postseason to the top 16 seeds, regardless of conference, in the hopes of improving the chances of the two best regular-season teams facing off in the NBA Finals.

"You also would like to have a format where your two best teams are ultimately going to meet in the Finals," Silver said. "You could have a situation where the top two teams in the league are meeting in the conference finals or somewhere else. So we're going to continue to look at that. It's still my hope that we're going to figure out ways."

James, who has made it to seven straight Finals out of the East with the Cavs and Miami Heat, contended that no change is necessary.

"I would disagree with that," he said. "I think our league has been built the right way as far as when it comes to the postseason. There's been dominant conferences throughout time. In the '80s you had the Lakers who dominated the league at one point, then you had Boston that dominated the league. In the '90s you had Chicago that dominated the league. San Antonio also had its run. We had our run in the East with Miami; Golden State is having their run."

"It just changes the landscape of the history of the game," James said. "If you start messing with seedings and playoffs and then you start talking about, 'Well, if this team would have played this Western Conference team, what [if] ...'"

James added that roughly half of the championship teams during his career thus far -- six out of 14 -- have come from the supposedly weaker East.

"I've been a part of the Eastern Conference my whole career and we've been very, very competitive," James said. "There's been years where we weren't as good. If I can think from once I got into the league, it's been us, I've done it three times, Detroit, Boston, Miami in '06, that's like [six] championships out of 14 years. That's [about] half, right? So what are we talking about?"

"Why even mess with it?" head coach Tyronn Lue asked. "It's fine the way it's always been.​

RiceRockets likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They should have just stayed quiet.

The historic imbalance dates back to when LeBron was in junior high, or even before....arguing that it doesn't exist or that it "there's been dominant conferences throughout time" when that time really kind of dates back to before he was born... makes them seem small, and I have huge respect for LeBron's accomplishments.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Just shut up and dribble.

10. trigun333

trigun333 Member

I was thinking about this as well when I saw the potential matchups. Could this possibly have the return of 2-3-2 playoff format. This could help the travel time for teams that would be in similar situations.