1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA has postponed Lakers/Clippers game Tuesday due to Kobe Bryant death

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jan 27, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. mig0s

mig0s Member

they should just cancel the game but both teams still show up and have a memorial inside Staples Center

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Double standards again.
    The players can't play?
    But all the other players yesterday who were much more shocked by the news since it was more recent...could?

ipaman likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right call but agree they should have done it yesterday and maybe even today as well.
    But easier to make up one game than it is however many games there were yesterday/today.

malakas and Lurch like this.
  5. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Full support from me. Good call by the NBA.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Money talks and I'm guessing la fans are more okay with not pulling a refund because of the change in plans

malakas likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s because it’s the Lakers and Kobe played for them
    You are overthinking this conspiracy stuff dude
    Chill
    @Jontro

@Reeko

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is 100% bullshit, the NBA and Silver once again un-leveling the playing field.

Terrible, unfair, precedent, which team will ask for a "night off" when one of their former employees passes away?!?! Who gets the respect, civility, and courtesy to grieve and who doesn't?!?

-edit- i'm pretty sure the hard ass, fiery competitor, kobe, would hate to miss this game.

FrontRunner likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

When did the NBA and Silver unlevel the playing field, previously? It's not like the game will be canceled and both LA teams only play 81 games while everyone else plays 82. And this is the sudden death of, perhaps, the most beloved player in Lakers' history - if you can't see why they would postpone the game tomorrow because of it, then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm pretty sure the hardass, fiery competitor Kobe would understand why the game is postponed.

YOLO and Reeko like this.
  10. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I understand your point but the fact the accident happened in LA to a legendary player who played for the Lakers and the game is being played in LA between two LA teams makes this game somewhat different than other games.

11. ipaman

absolutely tragic but he is not a current member of the organization or the league. unfair the next time another legend's team doesn't get the same respect and courtesy. unfair that all other teams/players had to play with heavy hearts, within HOURS of the news!!!, Clippers included!!! Which means... this is all for the Lakers and tragic or not that is very UNFAIR... Forcing others to do something while someone else doesn't have too is the definition of unfair.

With Clips already playing yesterday, Lakers probably take a very difficult L tonight but now they won't. No team/players got the courtesy yesterday.

And what about the Staples center employees? What about their lives, schedules, paychecks, etc... What about the workers who depend on Staples center traffic for their livelihoods?

Real talk, it's very tragic especially his daughter but life have to go on for everybody else.

Jontro and raining threes like this.
  12. ipaman

Mamba would shake his head in your face and call you soft...

raining threes likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

The right choice for LA

14. ipaman

I hope a reporter has the guts to ask Silver why he forced the other teams and players to play with such heavy hearts yesterday.

Jontro likes this.
  15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

This is absurd. Legend or not, he's a FORMER player and died yesterday. Play or take the L and forfeit the game.

This is an advantage and it's completely unfair to other teams that also suffer adversities. Kobe was a competitor and would tell Silver that the game is bigger than one person. Play the game. This is no way to honor his memory.

ipaman likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it should be up to the Lakers to decide.

The league shouldn't cancel a game just because a former star died or someone important in the organization died. Would they cancel a game if Jerry West died in an accident?

Jontro likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Easy likes this.
  18. raining threes

Are they going to cancel games when Jerry West/Majic/Kareem pass?

Is the NBA going to cancel games when Hakeem passes?

Setting a bad trend. IMHO

Jontro and ipaman like this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A guy dying tragically at 41 is different than the old guys passing naturally.

Patience and Jontro like this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

To me, you're being ridiculous.

I hope sudden death doesn't happen to a person before his time, but you're just making an assumption that the NBA won't do the same thing for a particular team if _____ were to die tomorrow. I'll eat crow if there's actually a double standard, but again, you're just assuming.

From a scheduling standpoint, it's easier to postpone 1 game than it is 8. And by your logic, what about the livelihoods of all the workers for the 8 home teams, if all 8 were postponed? It would be okay that the Lakers game was postponed if the 8 yesterday were also? What about the teams that wouldn't be scheduled on any of these days? Would their games be postponed too, the next time they played? It would be a logistical nightmare and a disruption of many more lives.

Kobe Bryant was a living legend for the only team he played for, in a career spanning 20 years. One postponement of a game shouldn't bother you that much, especially when you consider the logistics of the entire NBA. Again, the Lakers aren't playing an 81 game season - they're still playing all 82. Although the livelihoods of the workers will be somewhat impacted, they're not coming out of this with zero money.

I bet no NBA player is saying or thinking the same thing you are, that it's "unfair" that I have to play while they don't.

Patience, YOLO and Reeko like this.