1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[National Review] Fox News hurts the Conservative Movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc rock, Aug 30, 2016.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/439520/fox-news-hurts-conservative-movement

The result is clear: Conservatives gain fame, power, and influence mainly by talking to each other. They persuade each other of the rightness of their ideas and write Fox-fueled best-selling books making arguments that Fox viewers love. The sheer size of the audience lulls minor political celebrities into believing that they’re making a cultural and political difference. But they never get a chance to preach to the unconverted.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/439520/fox-news-hurts-conservative-movement

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Does MSNBC similarly hurt the liberal movement?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably not.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Seems like it would have an equal effect. Liberals predominantly makeup the viewership of MSNBC, as conservatives do for Fox. They both end up just talking to their base and never really convincing anyone whose mind isn't already made up.

CNN seems like the only somewhat neutral media outlet. I just don't imagine many independents watching Fox/MSNBC.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Read the article. There is more nuance than "MSNBC IS DA LIBURAL MEDIA!".

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think one of the biggest differences may be that a lot of people watch and care about Fox News, MSNBC not so much.

7. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Bingo

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

A lot of conservatives. I'm not sure how that changes what I said about MSNBC. Sure, Fox has a larger viewership so more people "care," but don't MSNBC watchers care about what they hear on MSNBC? National Review had an article a while back about how MSNBC is actually more biased than Fox.

Seems to me that both outlets play to their bases and don't attempt to court anyone else.

If your point is that Fox is better at it, than yah, I agree.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You know that Time Warner has donated almost a million dollars to Hillary?

CNN is invested in the Clinton Campaign which means they are far from neutral.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Edited: It was Comcast sorry

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Nonetheless, relatively speaking, they're fairly neutral when you compare the big three 24 hour news networks. Though lately I do agree they've begun to slant left.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That Fox is better at it is rather the point. The article is arguing that Fox is so successful it creates its own cocoon. MSNBC is trying to do the same thing with liberals, but because they are less successful (the argument would go if he mentioned MSNBC) at getting viewers and allegiance, liberals have to also go to other outlets to 'be successful' and end up influencing more voters.

I don't think I agree that Fox is hurting conservatives. I see his argument about their gravitational pull, but I think it's a great asset for them to have this flagship. They just need to figure out better how to leverage the flagship and still evangelize outside of the conservative ghetto.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Most people who watch/read MSNBC realize that it's a very liberal news source and treat it as such. Where as Fox new viewers think that it's truth and everyone else is just drinking kool-aid.

weakfromtoday likes this.
  14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't think that they are better at it either. I think they are the only major media outlet that is not significantly left of center. Even if the country is voting 55% dem/left and 45% rep/right, 45% is a pretty large percentage of the population that will lean towards watching Fox if they are watching at all. I personally don't believe that there are many "swing" voters and I'm not sure they are watching the news on tv. In short I think the article gives tv news media a lot more credit than it deserves anymore.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They should probably try to at least look less ridiculous. I rarely watch cable news any longer. Foxnews looks the same as it always has though. They only use the colors red, white, and blue. Every single woman almost as far as I can tell has large breasts, a pretty face, and a short skirt on.

I don't see how a normal semi educated person can take that superficial appearance serious.

Don't get me wrong, love a hot girl. My past gives that away ;). T&A has zero to do though with informing me or a viewer of important issues though.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny thing... I think Fox News is starting to worry that they are not "extreme" enough. My wife's parents were visiting here from California and it seems they were spending more time watching One America News Network than they were watching Fox. 'Course, that was earlier in the republican race for the nomination it seemed like One America had latched onto Trump early on while Fox was still pushing Cruz. I suspect they have returned to Fox since Trump got the nomination...

17. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe Fox just needs more/better competitors for the conservative news industry. If the platforms are more fragmented, politicians and influencers would have to succeed on multiple ones in order to be heard. Given that the cable channel is a relic of the past, that's probably not going to happen. It'll be some ecosystem of internet channels which, at least in the short term, will probably be so fragmented it'll be hard for anyone to cut through the noise.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

And this is different than liberal group think...how? And I wouldn't really bring up preaching to the unconverted when Hillary hasn't had a press conference...this year.

Groupthink is pervasive. It certainly isn't limited to conservatives. Anyone trying to claim that it is is merely demonstrating their own bias, making their point..pointless.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I like the mantra "Conservatives are just stupid and believe anything on Fox news. Most liberals are smart enough to know MSNBC is extremely liberal".

The truth of the matter is that older people tend to be more conservative and pick their news from traditional sources like the physical newspaper and television news.

Liberals tend to be younger and pick up their news throw the interwebs.

They both are just as bad. Fox News controls the source. With the interwebs, anyone with a blog is a 'journalist'. Nothing worse than that poster who gives 10 sources as proof when all 10 say the exact same thing.