1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name some CenterFielders in MLB history better than Marisnick...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, May 8, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Asked this in the game thread, but think it deserves its own.

I've been watching baseball since '92 and Jake appears to be the epitome. There might be some as good, but better?

Andrew Jones was awesome, but don't specifically remember his arm strength. Definitely wasn't a weak arm.

Clemente, maybe? Did Mays play CF?

Kenny Lofton was great, but don't recall his arm compared to Jake.

Let's talk some baseball history...

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

my response from the game thread...

So much fail.

**puts Houstunna on bigtexxx' knee to impart wisdom**

1. Willie Mays
    2. Mickey Mantle
    3. Joe DiMaggio
    4. Griffey, Jr
    5. Kirby Puckett
    6. Andruw Jones
    7. Jim Edmonds (cringe, but yeah, deserved)
    8. Ichiro (although he played all OF spots over the years)

just to start

the more interesting question is where does he stack up among past Astros? Cedeno, Carlos Beltran, Kenny Lofton, Jimmy Wynn, Berkman (kidding)...

1 person likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah, I recall Puckett, Ichiro, Griffey and Jim *ruin Enron's opening Edmunds being awesome.

I'd say Jake is right there with Griffey, Beltran, and Jim.

Mantle and Joe are historic names I thought might appear.

Clemete played RF (just looked it up).

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He may not even be the best CF on his team.... Springer is faster, has a better arm, is more athletic... and btw can actually hit enough to stay in the lineup regularly.

Marisnick is good... but he isn't as good a CF as Adam Everett was as good a SS... which justified the latter being an everyday player on a team with a stacked lineup.

If Marisnick never improves at the plate... he'll never be an everyday player... unless the Astros have a 1-7 (8) that can hide him.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Beltran was unbelieveable (still pissed)

6. Major

Major Member

Notice that all the names mentioned were star offensive players too - people remember the stars. There are probably endless Marisnicks over the course of MLB history. We just don't remember any of them because they don't have long careers since they can't hit worth anything. There are lots of guys out there that can run like crazy. But if they can't really hit a baseball, it's all sort of irrelevant.

1 person likes this.
  7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah I don't think there are too many teams salivating over the possibilty of acquiring Marisnick.

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

So George has all those greater qualities, and you still say "may not" be better.

Jake's..
    - catch @BOS last season where he hit the wall
    - catch sliding up Tal's Hill
    - his arm-strength (MPH) ranking 2nd last year in all baseball
    - watching him expecting almost everything to be caught

... is what prompted me

The bolded invalidates your own point.

Reality says, if the Stros' lineup was already "stacked", Gomez would never been an Astro.

Exactly, so no point comparing him to Everett's situation, lineup-wise.

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

LOL... obvious, but I didn't specifically mention DEFENSIVELY in this thread.

Man, that's a great point.

10. conquistador#11

Bourn(e)
    Lance Berkman, that one time.

1 person likes this.
  11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Mays, Blair, DiMaggio.
    It is said that DiMaggio never had to slide to get to the ball.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Was Ichiro THAT good as a CF once he got to the US? He was great in RF and had a cannon. But I don't recall his range being on par with all-time CFs (though it may have been in Japan?)

How about Torii Hunter? Also I have 2 autographs of Duke Snider. I haven't seen any film of him, but have heard he was great out there.

As to the comment above about stars vs. non-stars.. I'm not super interested in guys who played for a season or 2. But if they played 5+ years of all-time great CF, I'm guessing we'd remember them, hitter/star or not. I'm wondering if there is an "Everett" out there that we're missing right now who had a garbage bat.

Gary Pettis? Lol. 5 GG's...I remembered him being fast as hell

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, he'd actually have to play a game in CF in the majors to completely validate it. This is, of course, a hypothetical scenario... much like this thread... which is going nowhere, fast.

No, it merely echoes the only way guys like Marisnick (all defense, no offense) could even be considered to be an everyday player. Like Major said, you have to be able to bring it from both sides consistently.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There's no way this thread is real, right? It's sarcasm...right? Dude can't bat his weight. I'm not sure he's even a major leaguer. The greats could field like mother falcons and then make you pay when they came up first after diving and stealing your double.

It starts with Mays. And goes from there.

If this thread exists, I want to contribute my "Adam Everett is the Greatest SS of All Time Thread" later this evening. That's a far stronger argument on these grounds than any that Marisnick will have about CF ever.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

As long as there is no Name a 3rd Base Coach Better Than Pettis thread I'm good. :)

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Andruw Jones was stupidly good defensively. Among current players Ender Inciarte could be argued as better.

Jim Edmonds was good, but not elite. He's a classic example of highlights overshadowing actual defensive numbers. He was just fast enough to get there to make a spectacular play, that a better CF would have made look routine.

Marisnick isn't hitting at all. There's a reason we gave up all we did for Gomez. He was a huge part of our offensive struggles last year. If he produced even a little bit we could live with it because he's such a monster defensively, but he isn't.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Blair is a new guy, huh?

Way before my time. But have heard Joe described as SMOOOOTH.

Not diving falls easily in-line a "smooth" description.

"Makes it look easy", right?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Zone Runs as a CF, baseball reference. Edmonds ranks higher overall than I thought, but his yearly breakdown has him more as being consistently good than putting up huge numbers of other defensive studs.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/tz_runs_total_cf_career.shtml

Fangraphs only tracks back to 02

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=1000&type=1&season=2016&month=0&season1=1950&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Fangraphs misses some of Andruw Jones best years. It's unreal how good he was. I'm sure number 2 on the Fangraphs list isn't gonna fit people's narrative.

1 person likes this.
  19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Marisnick hit .236 last year, Gomez hit . 242 for us last year.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Kevin Kiermaier >

1 person likes this.