1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Trip to Wrigley and Miller Park w/ Pics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 6, 2007.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since I can finally start new thread again even though I’m a few days late but figured I would share my experience catching the Stros at Wrigley and at the Miller Park this last weekend for the Craig Biggio farewell tour and also post it in Hangout. It was a pretty fun experience even though Sunday’s game didn’t end as well as I would’ve liked. Wrigley lived up to its billing as a great place to watch baseball and Wrigleyville was very a fun place to celebrate the postgame. Even though Wrigley lacks a lot of the modern conviences of newer park it more than makes up for it in atmosphere. So even when the Cubs were down 5 to 1 on Sunday the crowd was still into it.

Miller Park wasn’t bad either but definitely not as great as a baseball experience as Wrigley. As one of the newest parks its got great site lines but is lacking in a great fan base compared to Wrigley. So even on a gorgeous Holiday day with the Brewers in a tight race there were still nearly 10,000 less people at Miller Park than in Wrigley. One thing that I did find out was that Brewer’s fans are more irate than Cubs fans who for the most part lived up to their billing as the “friendly confines”. While Idid get some “Astros’ Sucks” yells at Wrigley I got a lot more at Miller including a bottle thrown at me when I was cheering the Stros comeback in the eighth. A Miller Lite bottle of course. Then again part of that might’ve been that its easier to be friendly when your team wins a come from behind victory than losing to one. The other part is that the Brewer’s fans really hate Carlos Lee who they regard as much as a traitor as we do Carlos Beltran. It also didn’t help that there were some Cubs’ fans sitting near me who were egging on the crowd and also happened to be cheering the Stros. The Brewers also seem to have an inferiority complex since their game intro video shows the other NL Central stadiums being blown apart by explosive baseballs from the Brewers’ mascot. Stadium wise one thing interesting to note is that Miller Park has almost the exact same color scheme as Minute Maid and a lot of the same details.

Anyway pretty fun trip and glad I got to see Biggio one last time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Biggio bats for the last time at Wrigley.

[​IMG]
    Stros' fans stand by their team.

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Here's a few more pics.
    [​IMG]
    (some) Cubs show some love for the Stros.

[​IMG]
    Milwaukee Art Museum now property of the Houston Astros

[​IMG]
    Reflecting on the Astros

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The sign says "Houston we have a problem. Fielder hit that into Orbit!" :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Stros Comin Back!

[​IMG]
    Cecil Cooper plaque defaced. Some Brewer fan must not be happy that one of their legends is now managing the Stros..

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

lol...you're a dork man.

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

LOL I like how that one guy is flicking you off!!

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

awesome pics man

btw, my sister who now lives in Minnesota with my brother-in-law until next June, also went to the Brewers game on Labor Day, she also tried to go to the Cubs game the day before, but couldn't find tixs.

I am planning to go to Minnesota in Feb. when they play the Wolves on Feb 4 in which we may make a road trip and go to the Bucks game also beforehand on Feb 2. I'll let you know if I make it out there and maybe we can get tixs together.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

mother****er. I still don't even live in Houston and that "Houston We have a problem..." line annoys me to the point of rage.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

cool pics, nice jersey.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Wrigley tickets are pretty hard to get. I got the tickets a month ahead of time and even then I couldn't get three tickets together at anything less than $100 a ticket so the two people I went with ended up sitting in another section. Brewers' tickets though were pretty easy to get. If you visit Chicago a trip to Wrigleyville is still worth it even if you don't go to the game.

Yeah let me know if you come up here for the T-Wolves' game.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Great pics, love the old school jersey!

Before I die.... I want to go to a day game at Wrigley.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When we went to Chicago in 2005, I tried getting tickets a month or two before we left to no avail. A week or less before we went, my wife found two tickets through the Cubs web site and we were about 10 rows up right near the left field side of the Cubs dugout.

Out of curiosity, I checked for tickets while we were there and we could have gotten seats right behind home plate.

My advice, keep checking!

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

You're not the only one man, irks the hell out of me everytime I hear or see that stupid line.

Back on topic,

Great pics man, looks like you had a great time

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Great pics! I went to a Rockies-Cubs doubleheader at Wrigley in 2001. One of the most fun baseball experiences I ever had. My ticket was in the upper deck...in between games I moved down to a seat five rows behind home plate. Chicago dogs and Heilemann's Old Style....mmmmmm.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That's probably true since there is some turnover tickets especially on sites like Stubhub and especially for one or two seats. The problem I had was getting three seats together which I couldn't find on Stubhub or the Cubs' site without shelling out a lot of money. Also I couldn't find bleecher seats for anything less than $100.