1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My TED talk

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DeAleck, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Man, I am so crazy proud of you. You have that quality that 99% of people lack: balls.

Thank you, you're an inspiration.

TheMystery008 and Yung-T like this.
  2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Can we get a 5 games prediction please?

Jontro and DarkHorse like this.
  3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Underappreciated comment

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

So I totally just convinced our entire sales team to sit in a room and watch this. Too bad you're not in Austin anymore. :)

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I just wanted to said, you sucks! Just kidding. I didn't watch it, but congrats.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you are DeAleck, the rejected one. I love Ted Talks. Good thing I now know someone who's there.

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Haha, thanks. That was a freakish run! I have never since even attempted to replicate that type of thing, because I don't have that strong feeling anymore.

I remember watching the Rockets games the months prior to my posting, I would get a strong feeling before games about certain outcome, and the game would somehow conform to my prediction. It was almost like I had some sort of power or even reality distortion field. It was so weird and accurate that I was willing to risk the public shaming that would be associated with posting on a message board. Plus, once you've done the 100 Days of Rejection Therapy, you don't give a crap about what others think anymore.

So I did it and was proven right, that I indeed had some sort of weird power going on at the time. Mathematically speaking, predicting that many games in a row was almost impossible. In the end, as soon as I got one wrong, I simply stopped doing it and never got those feelings back again.

It was one of the strangest things I've ever experienced in my life.

jbasket likes this.
  8. jbasket

jbasket Member

CF, we are witnessing the development of the next generation human. We are all neanderthals.

All jokes aside, really cool TED talk!

9. Steve_Francis_rules

Great talk, I really enjoyed it.

10. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

@DeAleck

My lifelong dream is to pursue a career in medicine, but for 5-6 years now, I am in a battle, trying to overcome my fear of failure and rejection. I cannot bring myself to study for the MCAT out of fear of failure as it's my saving grace. My grades aren't competitive, but I'm trying to resolve that by looking into post-baccs.

Anyways:

I remember sitting at some cubicles in the Fine Arts Library at UT Austin in the fall and spring of 2012-13, streaming Rockets games and trying to battle my depression.

I could not focus in school and was rejected by a girl that sent me spiraling. The Rockets were, and are still my refuge from my problems. I remember your predictions, Jia, and remember watching the Krispy Kreme video and not thinking twice about it. I thought it was cool, but it's profundity did not hit me at that time.

Upon graduating and returning home in 2014 (and being an only child), I was not able to curb my depression. I ran and still run from my problems. My parents have been extremely stressing me out, and even though I'm working, they put a crap load of pressure on me.

I seriously watched your talk tonight, and man, I'm flooded with emotion. You have convicted me. I need to ask the why. My perception of the reasons for rejection might not be true. I won't truly know until I try.

I'm 24, working a good job, living at home, and still in this rut. My hopes and dreams are still very much alive, but I have to take practical and tangible steps. The MCAT is my biggest hurdle right now, and hoping that I can overcome it and move on with my life.

Thank you Jia for your work and your inspiration. I'm extremely blessed to be a member of this forum and to share a love for this team with someone who is inspiring and a hero.

Thank you truly from the bottom of my heart. I am praying for better days to come.

Jontro likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This just showed up in my LinkedIn feed.

[​IMG]

Yung-T and TheMystery008 like this.
  12. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

@DeAleck, that was amazing!

I can't believe I missed this post.

Do you mind sharing your YouTube channel?

Jontro likes this.