1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My sister most likely has contracted Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Mar 27, 2020.

1. what

what Member

I am so worried about her. She is a nurse serving Washington County in Brenham Tx.
    Right now she has a spiked fever and a bad cough and shortness of breath. She is 44 years old, but she is a fighter that much I know.
    The thing is I really don't think brenham tx is telling people how widespread this is. That is what I worry about.
    I am hoping for the best but once it happens to your family it gets really scary.
    My mother and her son live with her too so I am worried that they also may have it, though my sister has been pretty careful when she comes into the house, she throws her close in the washer and she takes a shower and goes to her room.
    This is terrible.

basso, BaselineFade, Deckard and 20 others like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Get your mom out her house if she’s staying home.

Good luck man, one of the first ones to be effected, but not the last. It’s going to hit a lot of us in a similar fashion. Hope your family stays well.

3. what

what Member

Unfortunately she won't leave. her doctor said that she's already been exposed so she might as well stay.
    my sister is quarantined in her room and she has a joining bathroom and both of the doors are locked.
    When she needs food or drink my mom puts it out the door and walks away all the way to the other room and then my sister opens the door with a mask on to get the food.
    They are also using paper plates instead of anything else because you can't even use the same food plate as the person with Corona.
    the other thing is is that as long as she can still breathe that's the best part of it when she needs to have a breathing apparatus that's when it gets more serious just for everybody's understanding.
    The stuff is just really nerve-wracking is all I can say.

#3 what, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    basso, Deckard, Houstunna and 4 others like this.
  4. what

what Member

Also my mom and my nephew are staying in the house so I'm running around and getting them everything they need. They are also self isolating which I told them they have to do.

Deckard, Houstunna, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Best wishes to you and your family. We had a scare with my son. Not fun. Scary times. Take care of yourself.

Hope all goes well for them.

Houstunna, Hakeemtheking and malakas like this.
  6. what

what Member

Your son caught it?

7. Two Sandwiches

He tested negative. He had most of the symptoms. Even his labs looked essentially identical to labs a New Orleans doctor described as a Hallmark of Covid-19 patients.

Either way, we quarantined until his results were back, and he's on the mend now.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hopefully it's the mild flu type where she wraps herself into a sweat while having copious amounts of water and sleep. Otherwise, best wishes in this trying time. As a nurse and someone designated in the fro.nt lines, hopefully she's prioritized accordingly.

If you're the scout, you'll have to be especially careful and practice ocd like levels of sanitation. I might go as far as letting the supplies you drop sit there for a few days if possible to let the germs die down. I'm thinking about the elderly members of your family but you should take care of yourself as well.

Best wishes

fattz, Blatz, boomboom and 3 others like this.
  9. what

what Member

Did you all isolate from him? If not and you are fine, then that sounds pretty crazy.
    My sister doesn't have her results yet, but it seems like that she does have it though.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Your doctor is an idiot. If you sister is 44 then your mother is likely over 65 right? That is the risky group. What is that doctor thinking?
    Also your sister as a nurse is entitled to get a free corona test with priority.

Anyway...be very careful of the shared bathroom. Especially in the last days 30% of the patients excete the virus through the feces and urine.
    Your sister must clean very very well with chlorine every time she goes, and don't use towels to wipe her hand, but paper towel.

Take care, what! Stay strong and your family will get through this!

Nook, Houstunna and topfive like this.
  11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Good luck to your sister....hope she pulls through and fairly quickly!

12. Two Sandwiches

We did not. We figured we already had it if he did and it would be too late. He's two. We're going and healthy enough it wouldn't have been a big deal, except at work.

As long as he was negative, back to work we go. Glad it worked out for us. Eventually we'll be back in the same situation, though.

13. what

what Member

I sat all of there stuff probably 20 feet from there house.
    I don't live there, but when I go to the store which isn't often, i i we gloves dont touch my face, get in and out as fast as i can and steer clear of everybody. When I get home i wash everything with soap and water, take a shower and mop the floors.
    I am also the person who I don't take medicine for anything, and never have. I feel like I have a strong immune system, but I am trying to be extra careful.

14. what

what Member

Thanks

15. what

what Member

My mom is at risk. She is 69. But once again, my sister is quarantined in a separate room in the back of the house. Her bathroom is hers and nobody but her uses it.
    What I like my mom to be removed or my sister get an apartment, yes, but at the same time I want my sister safe, and th point was that if my sister is by herself she could pass out and nobody know it.
    At this point, nothing I can do.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Listen what. I will tell you what studies are saying, and you will make the call that you see fit.
    1) the way of transmission affects the severity. I.E If someone gets it by coughing or be exposed to bodily fluids it will be more severe than by touching objects.
    2) the viral load affects the severity. i.e if someone is repeatedly exposed he will get it worse than someone who isn't exposed.
    3)feces are shown to be sources of virus for up to 10+ days after the symtpoms go away.

You can let your mom in your house and you move with your sister?
    Anyway tell your mom to
    air the house every day.
    Your sister's laundry must be handled with gloves and be put in a plastic bag and be washed at 60C separately from other clothes.
    The things she has touched and needs to be thrown away (plastic plates etc) must be handled with gloves be put in one bag inside another bag and be thrown wearing gloves.
    Handwashing before and after.
    The infected person must clean the toilet with chlorine after using it and not wipe their hands in a towel in the bathroom.

These are the instructions straight from our Health ministry about how to take care of sick people in the house.

17. what

what Member

I understand, but ive told you that my sister is using a bathroom that is connected to her room. She uses it, no one else goes in there - it is locked. They are also using paper plates so the plates go in, they don't come out. As far as clothes washing, I don't think my sister will be washing clothes.
    Also, per the doctor, my mom used sanitation wipes that the doctor recommended to clean everything.
    I am not sure why you keep mentioning feces, when my sister has her own bathroom that is locked and that only she uses.
    It's also not up to me. My mom will not leave and I can't make her do it. I get what you are saying, but we are being as safe as we can in a bad situation.

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry, what that it happened to your family.

Ask someone to cautiously drop by on your sister and see how she is....... while keeping the social distance of 6th and farther.....

Try not to talk to her during visits or very cautiously as said.

Try moving the mother somewhere else.

If it is a mild version, then wait out 14-16 days, buy a private test, if you have to .......beware of online fraud and fake tests.

(Not sure about US but Germany had private tests, cost around 250 Euro)

#18 daywalker02, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Houstunna likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

Oh I am sorry I thought it was a shared bathroom, not an ensuite that's why I kept mentioning it.
    Take care what. Sounds like at least your family is taking all the possible precautions. Don't let your guard down even if the symptoms go away!
    Take care and keep us posted!
    I hope your sister finds her health soon.

DoitDickau, jcf and daywalker02 like this.
  20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

What, best wishes to your whole family, especially your sister.

I've been wanting to say this, but what's happening to this country and the lack of preparation and enough proper PPEs to protect the health care workers is bordering on being criminal.

I know most of these hospitals are situated in areas covered by workers comp laws, but I can guarantee you there will be lawsuits in regards to workers safety, AS IT SHOULD. Think of the two nurses who contracted the Ebola virus - their settlements were just announced less than a year ago.

Let's bring the fat cats family in, dress them with the regular PPEs that we are giving, and let's put them into a room full of Covid-19 patients.