1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My CGC Comic book unboxing video

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by got em COACH, Jul 20, 2019.

1. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

What do you guys think of my new YouTube content? Any collectors here? Going to do more unboxing in the near future when I have extra money to buy more.

Believe it or not these two books are worth 5k

Great investment hobby

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah... Only if it is super rare. In 1984 I bought and sealed the first 3 "Batman & the Outsiders" comics. Today I could get about $10-15 for them.

[​IMG]

bobloblaw likes this.
  3. got em COACH

Anything FIRST APPEARANCE of a certain beloved characters will see a significant amount of value. Thanks to Netflix punisher series and past movies and Wolverine being the most popular out of the x men group and the marvel cinematic universe. Our kids generation will grow up watching the movies and 20 years from now when they become successful will drive market value on these collectible books. Supply and demand

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/134372

^ hulk 181 first appearance of wolverine. Only 12k copies submitted to be graded. Who knows how many Wolverine fans there's is after 20 years.

These books to me is a physical stock ticket. ROI on these books is ridiculously growing

#3 got em COACH, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Nice set. I didn't know Wolverine started with the Hulk. I only have 5 comics, but none are worth more than $100. I would collect more if I had time. Now is a good time to collect the older comics as the genre is on solid footing for generations to come. My set;

Scare Crow first appearance #189 ( 8.5 )
    Aquaman origin story #48 ( 9.0 )
    Superman Death #75 ( 9.5 )
    Lizard vs Spiderman #44 ( 9.5 )
    Flash punches Superman #220 (9.0)

]

#4 PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 20, 2019
    got em COACH likes this.
  5. got em COACH

eBay listings and solds recently

[​IMG]

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yes... Because they are RARE. People back then didn't think they'd ever be valuable. Again, in 1984, we already knew this trend, so we would buy first editions of stuff, and they ended up being pretty worthless. Comics these days are Beanie Babies. You will never hit it rich with anything, unless it is a huge flop that later on gets popular. Honestly, if you want to collect something that will appreciate and you can have fun with, go with a Ferrari.

7. got em COACH

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have a lot of comics from early 90’s to late 90’s or so. Some from the 70-80’s too though. I have a spawn #1 with a ink errors. A preacher #1. Silver Surfer#1 and many others. None graded though. They are just sitting in my Mom’s attic for the last 2 decades plus.

9. got em COACH

Everything is depended on the grade. Look up your comic book on

https://comics.gocollect.com/most-active

And look at the fair market value. Submit your book to cgc for grading. Price are for graded books. Nothing raw. Only way to find out is sending it off to be graded

Spawn #1 and silver surfer #1 depends on grade condition can fetch you $300-$1500. Like I said it's all depends on the condition and the grading company

#9 got em COACH, Jul 20, 2019
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

The problem is they have flat-lined. If you buy a comic for $300, it will likely be worth $300 in 20 years. The only way to make a killing is to go in your grandfathers attic and hope to strike gold with finding a rare one.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is the version I’m talking about.

I would not get rid of this until some type of spawn movie or show comes out again. The value should spike some at that point.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spawn-1-Im...Ink-Error-Misprint-Issue-VF-Wow-/283442127502

got em COACH likes this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Is this like the anime’s people watch?

13. got em COACH

You can thank Jaime Fox and Todd McFarland when the movie release. Good time to sell and you sir have a diamond in the rough

Get it authenticated and graded. You should see triple the value on that current eBay listing

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Super nice 9.2 on that 129. I have one that I think may actually be slightly better than that that I need to submit. I have to be honest, I was thinking a little higher on 181.

I like the videos. Does CGC really send them back covered like that? For some constructive feedback (take it for what its worth), I'd cut 30 - 45 seconds if you are going to only have music. That still gives it long enough to allow the viewer to guess the grade and still have a build up to the reveal. If you're a big comics guy, I'd would have enjoyed commentary on the history of the book, where it was attained, why it was special, what YOU think its going to grade at, etc.

I watched your Street Fighter II controller video...same feedback, I would have liked to have had a history lesson on Street Figher, why it was important to you, etc.

I did subscribe.

got em COACH likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Cool vids. I probably have 5 or 6 comics that may be worth grading. They look like they’re in good shape but I have absolutely zero idea what that translates to in a grade. What’s the go to company for this kind of thing?

got em COACH likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Good content. It's personal and relevant, obviously coming from a person who thinks like a fan of comics. You don't want to come off as someone who is an investor. If that's what you're going for, then the content needs to be about money.

My only advice is to work on your thumbnails and titles. Those are half the fight, find someone who is good at photoshop and has a taste for design (especially fonts). They can create a template for you that you can then replicate. The idea is to make a thumbnail that appeals to those who are on the fringe about getting into this game. It should promise something in exchange for a click. It's the payoff that someone gets if they click. If the thumbnail and title give everything away, there's no pay off.

You have the right idea with grade and page quality question. I would have gone with a thumbnail from 2:50 where the post-it is about to be removed. I would have titled it "Revealing Incredible Hulk 181 Page Grade & Quality". I would try to get the word "rare" in there somehow, but I don't know enough about the comics to know what that can apply to.

Stay consistent and best of luck.

B-Bob and got em COACH like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This reminds me, I've got to get prices on a bunch of old comics I have. I need to get them uploaded into a db like ComicBase or Collectorz, too. I used to have a subscription to gpanalysis. Is that still a good way to determine "real world" prices, especially for slabbed comics?

got em COACH likes this.
  18. got em COACH

Yes it's still the best way to determine the fair market value.

https://comics.gocollect.com/most-active

^this website is free but gpa is slightly more accurate with each sales data collected

19. got em COACH

Good idea on the title selection. I can always update the thumbnail. Appreciate your constructive criticism :)

Mathloom likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

Great stuff! Seems like for a decade some people have been yapping about reading comics on their fancy electronic gadgets.
    Part of the fun is knowing you have said issue. You can't frame a kindle and have it graded.
    My collection: Punisher 1,
    wolverine 1 signed by mr. Lee, my kids mother works the comic con booths for the fun of it.
    Ghost Rider 1.
    Spawn 1

I don't expect those ever to be expensive. They're affordable now but they hold a special meaning to me which is also part of the fun in collecting.

got em COACH likes this.